Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
Many chances, not just clay for Dominic. His game suits also high bouncing slower hard court.

So I think he has a shot at the title at: IW, MIA, MC, RO, MD, CA. How many will he win? Realistically 1-2, but I hope for more like 4-5.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have a feeling it won’t be on clay if he wins one

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
There is a good chance that he'll win a Masters1000 tournament on clay. But the competition may be more difficult: not only Nadal and Zverev but Djokovic as well.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Unlike this year, Djokovic will also be in the mix at the clay masters so it will be more difficult, but not crazy to think . Hope he claims his first , It will get more competitive . So it will be great

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
If I'd have to bet, I'd say no. He proved to be a bit of a mental midget. Losing to Zverev on clay, he should have really stepped up there. But doesn't seem to be able to raise to the ocasion. And if he doesn't win it on clay, it's very unlikely he'll win on hardcourt. He is just too vulnerable there, he's always the underdog against big servers, and can lose to many players. If Rafa isn't injured or heavily declines in a few months, he'll probably win 2 of the clay masters. So the window for Thiem is very small.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Many chances, not just clay for Dominic. His game suits also high bouncing slower hard court.

So I think he has a shot at the title at: IW, MIA, MC, RO, MD, CA. How many will he win? Realistically 1-2, but I hope for more like 4-5.
Aren't you a bit over optimistic ?

Domi is already 25 years old and should already have won one this year or the year before.
2019 won't be easy at all, as we should expect a fit Nadal again on clay and Nole will make of the clay season one of his main goal. Clay is the best surface of Sascha Zverev too, and guys like Khachanov or Edmund are playing very well on clay too. 2019 will be much harder to dominate on this surface.
The only MS outside of clay that Domi might win is Indian Wells with the high bounce but he would never be in the list of the favourites.
So I really hope he will win one M1000 next season but I am far from sure he will do it.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Not sure he has what it need but anyway not sure 2019 is the easiest with Zverev Khachanov and Medvedev blooming and Rafa + Nole just beginning their decline.

2019 should be a very busy year far more than 2018, more over with Federer able to perform here and there and a big ? about Stan and Andy's coming back.

·
23,063 Posts
I always said the critical point for most players is the season when they turned 25, and I might say it is sad that Domi hasn't really stepped up that much. His clay season may be his most inconsistent, with some shock losses in Barcelona and Rome but did so well in Madrid and Roland Garros. He did improve in HC, but still not as clutch in his opportunities. I really hope he does because his potential is quite great, but I guess the worst case scenario for him is a late-career Wawrinka-like breakthrough I guess.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I hope he finally gets one next year.

Madrid is probably the most likely.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
On clay he has decent chances. Off of clay virtually no chance as far as I'm concerned. Even on clay it will be tough though assuming Nadal returns in good form and Djokovic, Zverev, and others continue to play well.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Only on clay and if Rafa is out of form. Off clay he won’t get past djokovic and federer period. Maybe not even zverev. And since djokovic can also dominate on clay it will be extremely difficult. Much more than this year. He already had his best shot in Madrid and then got destroyed by Sascha who he used dominate in the H2H

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Just like last year Thiem has played a lot of tournaments. He should figure that out first. Shouldn't be that difficult. Of course he can win a Masters. It's a matter of peaking at the right moments throughout the year instead of trying to be above average every week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts