Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennis players' primes last into their late 30s or early 40s these days, so Thiem is just beginning his. He has the work ethic and the type of game that might allow him to win quite a few Slams over the next 10+ years.

I doubt he ever wins Wimbledon, but he could win the other 3 multiple times.

·
Your visions will happen
48,592 Posts
Could get a handful

·
Registered
174 Posts
Too Early To Say

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
He is 27 y.o.

Wawrinka was 27/28 y.o. in 2013 when he emerged as HC Stanimal reaching his first GS semifinal (USO 5-setter vs Djokovic, after their epic AO'13 4R 6-setter beforehand), amassing nine semis (3 majors + final) till RG'17.

Big3 and Big4 will not be as strong as during Stan's peaking 2013-2017 period, so, there is a chance for Thiem to surpass Stan considerably, especially if he stayed contender till his 32/33 and Gen2k prodigies bloomed later in slams.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's too soon to tell, but I certainly think he has the potential to be a multi-slam winner. I could easily see him winning more hardcourt majors based on his performances at the Australian Open and US Open this year. Of course clay is still his most natural surface and I could see him winning multiple French Opens especially if Nadal becomes more vulnerable (possibly this year due to his lack of match play) or once the Spaniard retires.

I think the next 2-3 slams will give us a lot of information about whether Thiem is going to have a Cilic/Del Potro like 'one-hit-wonder' career or whether he is going to establish himself as a regular contender for big titles for years to come. If he makes the final or wins the title in RG 2020, AO 2021 and/or RG 2021 then I think he will have a highly successful career with 4+ slams. I expect Wimbledon will continue to be his toughest slam, but I can see him being a contender at the other 3 because he has enough power to blow any player off the court. He has a positive H2H against Roger (5-2), he's beaten Djokovic in slams twice (and pushed him to 5 sets on a third occasion) and he's beaten Nadal in a slam and pushed him to 5 sets on a second occasion. He's also got great records against the best NextGen players: 8-2 versus Zverev, 3-1 versus Medvedev, 4-3 versus Tsitsipas, 3-0 versus Shapovalov and 1-0 versus Kyrgios.

·
Registered
16,349 Posts
He is.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Could very well be. With Nadal soon gone, he will collect many French Open titles. He has now definitely proven that he can be a force on hardcourt, too.

Crucial step toward greatness was the ditching of former coach Bresnik and hiring Nicolas Massu.

Bresnik is sueing the Thiem family now, btw. What a bitter, disgusting human being. I'm so glad for Thiem that he finally got rid of him.

·
justice for all
15,192 Posts
Could very well be. With Nadal soon gone, he will collect many French Open titles. He has now definitely proven that he can be a force on hardcourt, too.

Crucial step toward greatness was the ditching of former coach Bresnik and hiring Nicolas Massu.

Bresnik is sueing the Thiem family now, btw. What a bitter, disgusting human being. I'm so glad for Thiem that he finally got rid of him.
What a lowlife this dick Bresnik. Is he doing it to distract him now when he's finally where he always wanted to be - contending for slams? Pathetic creature.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What a lowlife this dick Bresnik. Is he doing it to distract him now when he's finally where he always wanted to be - contending for slams? Pathetic creature.
I totally agree. He may laid the groundwork for Thiem, but in the later years, there was just not enough progress. Add to this stupid scheduling and frequent bashing of the own player in the media. Feels like Thiem won a Slam despite Bresnik, and not because of him.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tennis players' primes last into their late 30s or early 40s these days, so Thiem is just beginning his. He has the work ethic and the type of game that might allow him to win quite a few Slams over the next 10+ years.

I doubt he ever wins Wimbledon, but he could win the other 3 multiple times.
Thiem's game plays a lot of long points and is very physical.

It may be the case his form might drop in his early 30's.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thiem cannot be relied upon, he's shown that. He almost let Zverev win a slam and put tennis's immortal soul in purgatory.We need reliable players to defend the realm. I'm not sure there's anyone except Djokovic. Maybe Nadal on clay?

·
Registered
68,421 Posts
He lost his first 3 GS finals and threw shade at lower ranked players so no, but his ass is top class and will always be that’s for sure

·
Registered
174 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts