Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anna k is back in Mother Russia playing in the Kremlin Cup, but there has been a love hate relationship between the Rocket and and her comrades ever since she set up her home in the U.S.

Anna does not really seem to consider herself Russian anymore and the Russians seem to treat her like some American fans treat the Williams.

She seems to be making an effort to mend the break by playing in the Moscow event.

Will the Moscovites take to their prodigal child once again?

·
Registered
166 Posts
there was some tension, but not because Anna set up something somewhere... it was a result of a refuse to play in FedCup when Russia needed her, then some pathetic showing in FedCup that was played in Moscow, then some refuse to speak in Russian when giving a press conference in Moscow...

all of it caused some rejection... But Russian people are forgiving, especially towards someone who is down...

btw, I don't think Anna ever missed KremlinCup (unless she was injured).

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
it was mostly her performances in the Fed Cup ...... (record 2-6, lost last 5 singles)

Marat also had this prob but he redeemed himself last weekend :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not see Anna ever going back to russia to live and I fully expect her to become a U.S. citizen within five years.
I wonder how Russia will treat her then?

·
Registered
166 Posts
not that I care... but if she hasn't changed her citizenship before, why would she do it now?

little would change, I think... if hse plays against a Russian player, people would route against her. if she plays against anyother player most will route for her.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Why do you ask such questions? She was also booed in NY because of her poor performance and I do not think that the crowd was predominantly Russian.

She is a pretty girl and every normal person would like to see her doing well on the court. If people are against Anna K because she is slimmer, more famous or has whiter teeth than hers, it's their own problems. I don't think she could care more about them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zosse - But the crowd cheered Anna when she came back in doubles.
I ask the questions because Anna still semms to want to be linked to her home country, but is hooked on the good life in America.

·
Registered
166 Posts
she's listed in the draw with a wc

but would she need one if she is ranked higher than Babsi who was seeded #1 in qualies?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I heard this second-hand, but Lindsay and Anna both had problems with getting in her.

Lindsay applied too late, and needed someone to withdraw. Of course, Lindsay has so much money, she could PAY someone to withdraw.

Anna was eligible for the remaining wildcard, but Safina and Bovina were after it too. However the one (unofficial) draw I saw listed Lindsay, Anna, AND Elena B., so maybe I'm just full of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The promoters are not beyond paying off another player to withdraw in order to get another player in their place who will put more butts in the seats during the event.

Yeah, it was strange seeing Schett's name in the quali draw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts