Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it stands provided all slams still go ahead, Nadal will have to play both Wimbledon and the US open before RG this year. It’s an unusual scenario especially considering there is only a weeks gap between the US and RG.

I think this may affect Nadal in more ways then one. For starters there’s potential for Djokovic to win both Wimbledon and the US before RG. If he was on a 3 slam streak his confidence would be at an all time high. Not to mention the fact that he would also be on 19 slams. Nadal of late hasn’t been the most clutch especially when history is at stake. I feel like the pressure of this and also the chance for Djokovic to poetically get a calendar slam would be incredible. If Djokovic wins he’s essentially Goat regardless.

The other problems include no lead in clay events to gain form on the surface and obviously the week turn around between slams. Will Nadal want to go as hard at the US or save himself for his best chance RG?

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
It lowers it slightly, especially the hard court slam right before. I think no lead up on clay helps Nadal, look how he does in Monte Carlo usually, it often takes the other guys a tournament or two to adjust.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
there is plenty of time before it.Not to mention that both US and RG may even be canceled

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think the rescheduling gives Nadal a massive increase in his chances of winning RG 2020. The argument is simple enough: No rescheduling means no clay slam this year and no chance for an RG 2020. If the new date actually works out, Nadal's chances are decent enough. Of course, with no lead-up tournaments, Rafa is more vulnerable than a normal year, but still the main favorite by some margin.

·
justice for all
18,869 Posts
Interesting question.
I assume you meant comparing Rafa's chances between playing RG in normal time band vs the new Sept - Oct option.
I think it's a tough call because there are too many unknowns.
1. Will the USO be played as scheduled? If so then those who lose earlier (QF/R4), prioritising RG, might have the best chance because going all the way in NY might create too much fatigue. Not playing it at all would mean no warm-up so not good option either. And we know Nadal is a player who needs to play himself into form.
2. The weather factor - how will it affect the playing conditions? If more matches are played indoors due to rainy weather then who knows...
3. No clay preparation. Does it give Rafa the edge or the opposite. Back in 2006-2013 it didn't matter for him because he was so much better than anyone (except maybe Djokovic) that he was just sweeping the clay seasons. But ever since 2014 it looked like he needed more and more clay preparation to be isn top form by RG.

·
Registered
23,341 Posts
It won't matter, Coviderer will be at 22 after coming back better than ever at Wimbledon and the US Open

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,241 Posts
I heard from one article Nadal was considering boycotting Roland Garros.

Big news if true, though I think this is only journalist speculation and not words from Nadal himself.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts

Big news if true, though I think this is only journalist speculation and not words from Nadal himself.

That's absurd. Why would Nadal do this? He should be happy that they decided to change dates because June was very in doubt. Obviously it's better to play RG in the autumn than not to play it at all. Who knows, maybe El Padrino was the one pulling the strings when it comes to the rescheduling.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Let's be clear here: this is an epic 'behind-the-courtains' 'make no prisioners' war between Mirka, Tio Toni and Pepe Imaz, the outcome of which will shape our beautiful sport of Tennis for the next century at least.

·
Banned
4,154 Posts
Let's be clear here: this is an epic 'behind-the-courtains' 'make no prisioners' war between Mirka, Tio Toni and Pepe Imaz, the outcome of which will shape our beautiful sport of Tennis for the next century at least.
Maybe Judy Murray has crushed the war as well with her appearance. By interrupting the tour the BIG THREE can not extend their lead over her son.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Rafa will win #20 before Roland Garros, and maybe even #21 before Roland Garros.
Look, we all have bigger worries than tennis right now. But one thing i can guarantee you: If Nadal fails to get to #20, the line to collect your tears will set new records.

You are the most annoying poster here ever, period. And now, MTF, give me your thumbs up, please.

Stay healthy and stay home, everyone. Things look really grim.

Reactions: chilazon

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Maybe Judy Murray has crushed the war as well with her appearance. By interrupting the tour the BIG THREE can not extend their lead over her son.
Well put. I wouldn't be surprised, Judy is a wolf in sheep clothes. Watch out for Battle of the Handbags with Mirka, I shiver in horror to think of it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

I saw this article this morning and immediately dismissed it as bullshit.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Well put. I wouldn't be surprised, Judy is a wolf in sheep clothes. Watch out for Battle of the Handbags with Mirka, I shiver in horror to think of it.
I don't know that Judy is a handbag as a weapon kind of lady. I think she might prefer to get her hands dirty.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Pepe the 'Guru' Imaz if anything is aIigned w/ the NadaI/EI padrino camp.
You're surely mistaking some tactical coincidences, absolutely logical when the common enemy is as ruthless, powerful and lacking of a moral compass as Mirka is, with a fundamental alliance, which is impossible as the three of them (plus Judy) want the same.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts