Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will the rest of the 2020 tennis season be cancelled?

• Yes

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • No, the tour will resume in the fall in Eastern Asia.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • No, the tour will resume at Roland Garros and/or Laver Cup

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • No, the tour will resume at the US Open

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • No, the tour will resume in North America before the US Open

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • No, the tour will resume for the Olympics in Tokyo.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • No, the tour will resume for Wimbledon

• No, the tour will resume for the start of the grass season

• Who knows? I don't have a crystal ball.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Any of these: I don't care, I'm out of work,it's a mess,the world is ending,tennis isn't important..

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Very informative, good sources, good research.

Its a deadly virus. Quite a few firsthand accounts I know personally and through third party sources.

This isn't some over sensationalized virus that is like a cold... I don't understand people like yourself.

Also the UK has gone into Lockdown , after believing in the Herd Mentality and that would fix everything and that this virus was just a ship passing through the night...
Is a serious virus? Yes. Is it the Black Death or the Spanish Flu? Absolutely not. Not everyone has gone into full lockdown. Sweden has not, South Korea has not, Japan has not. I don't know that there's any evidence that they're faring any worse than the countries that have.

For myself, I don't understand people who don't understand people like me :) I'm not saying that we should ignore it. I'm not saying that it's just like a common cold. I'm saying there should be a balanced, reasoned debate about what measures should be taken with the costs/rewards of all approaches taken fully into account. Sadly, that is impossible in the current climate.

·
10,118 Posts
Is a serious virus? Yes. Is it the Black Death or the Spanish Flu? Absolutely not. Not everyone has gone into full lockdown. Sweden has not, South Korea has not, Japan has not. I don't know that there's any evidence that they're faring any worse than the countries that have.

For myself, I don't understand people who don't understand people like me :) I'm not saying that we should ignore it. I'm not saying that it's just like a common cold. I'm saying there should be a balanced, reasoned debate about what measures should be taken with the costs/rewards of all approaches taken fully into account. Sadly, that is impossible in the current climate.
We should go into lockdown and or social distance to the best of our ability. The healthcare system is overwhelmed across the world and people are dying en masses , because people are ignoring the hygiene and safety advice. Stay your distance from everyone , wash your hands , and do not congregate. If society, RIGHT NOW, let people go as if "business as usual" then we would probably have 2x the amount of deaths right now.

Yes the economy is going to take a tank and of course we can only go so long without work... but governments and countries can figure out alternatives. They can go into debt, create new plans.... humans are the most innovative people on the planet, just we can't be congregating and really lockdown makes the most sense. Do you know how many millenials just don't care? If there wasn't a lockdown then they would be drinking , eating, hording in masses , then passing along the disease to someone else and or getting gravely ill themselves.

Maybe there is an alternative, but we can't just treat this like a joke and go about our daily lives. This is a once in ___ years disease. It may not be the black death or Spanish Flu, but we do not have an immunity to this disease. (I had a friend who was cavalier about the whole situation and he ended up bedridden for about 5 days.... 5 days, couldn't move and he is a healthy swimmer)

·
Registered
378 Posts
We should go into lockdown and or social distance to the best of our ability. The healthcare system is overwhelmed across the world and people are dying en masses , because people are ignoring the hygiene and safety advice. Stay your distance from everyone , wash your hands , and do not congregate. If society, RIGHT NOW, let people go as if "business as usual" then we would probably have 2x the amount of deaths right now.

Yes the economy is going to take a tank and of course we can only go so long without work... but governments and countries can figure out alternatives. They can go into debt, create new plans.... humans are the most innovative people on the planet, just we can't be congregating and really lockdown makes the most sense. Do you know how many millenials just don't care? If there wasn't a lockdown then they would be drinking , eating, hording in masses , then passing along the disease to someone else and or getting gravely ill themselves.

Maybe there is an alternative, but we can't just treat this like a joke and go about our daily lives. This is a once in ___ years disease. It may not be the black death or Spanish Flu, but we do not have an immunity to this disease. (I had a friend who was cavalier about the whole situation and he ended up bedridden for about 5 days.... 5 days, couldn't move and he is a healthy swimmer)
Fair enough. I can see your viewpoint and I respect your opinion even if I do not fully share it.

·
10,118 Posts
Did he contract the covid19 & how is he now as i too swim for exercise?
He went from swimming like 40 laps to being bed ridden for 5 days and still has a bad cough and difficulty breathing.

Its not a joke.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
He went from swimming like 40 laps to being bed ridden for 5 days and still has a bad cough and difficulty breathing.

Its not a joke.
High level athletes often compete at unhealthily low body fat percentages and thus can be more susceptible to illness. Still I agree this virus is no joke

·
Registered
599 Posts
Tuberculosis kills 30,000 a week, malaria 8,000 a week, aids 15,000 a week and they kill indiscrimantly across all age groups. The flu kills 8,000 a week as well although mainly v young and old. Covid is a shock bc we haven't seen it before but it's death rate is almost totally confined to the old and those with existing health conditions. The world will survive this, we have faced far worse.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Tuberculosis kills 30,000 a week, malaria 8,000 a week, aids 15,000 a week and they kill indiscrimantly across all age groups. The flu kills 8,000 a week as well although mainly v young and old. Covid is a shock bc we haven't seen it before but it's death rate is almost totally confined to the old and those with existing health conditions. The world will survive this, we have faced far worse.
Are those people disposable?

·
Registered
599 Posts
My point was that this pandemic is not unique in our history, nor is it in the same scale as other diseases we have faced, and currently face, year in, year out.

The first priority has to be the young. They are pretty much not going to die and nor are the parents looking after them so, while it may sound cold, the reality is that it's manageable and humanity will survive.

·
Premium Member
9,021 Posts
Believe me I am not a troll and I am probaly if not one of the more at least quite frustrated Tennis (and Nole) fan.

I am afraid 2020 Tennis is done.

Even if not speculating about Financial Crisis which gonna follow this Health crisis and could affect the future ATP funding in next years.....

But there are political reasons that will bother any International Sports Events to take place.

This one could be void if one of the existing medecine is tested efficient against virus...

1) A Nation can be safe only if 70% got a vaccination or herd immunity.
Actually we had countries like Japon China or Italy that look like having cruised through the peak....

But it is like analyzing a Tennis Match only by checking scoreboard (I know lots of MTFers like it)....

China had basically experienced the pandemy in Hubei and rest of its territory is still theatened by pandemy if virus is introduced again (no herd immunity), same in Italy where pandemy was apparently stopped or at least controlled before reaching Southern part.
Those governements know that if virus is introduced again in those parts of their country, people are not protected and politically I am afraid they gonna block their border or at least ask for quarantine which is not matching with ATP Tour the way it was.

And it could last until vaccine is ready and widely displayed.

2) Some countries have decided to try to reach herd immunity faster with a let go policy such as USA, UK Sweden The Netherlands or Switzerland....

Some already had to change their mind because people are not ready to accept Deaths by Numbers.
They will probably confine people to slow the pandemy then let them out before Economy is too much weakened then confine them again if Deaths are piling again and this until herd immunity or vaccine is reached.

We can not do what China has done in Hubei because they just stopped people from getting out of their home even for exercise or working or shopping.
But rest of the country was there to produce food and Communist Party volunteers were there to display food to people locked in. So it is difficult to imagine we can "kill" the virus as they look like having done in Hubei if we still have people out for working and at least produce food.

3) The hope of total Testing

This is probably the best move, as South Korea did.... Testing everyone and confinement for those that are positive (and weaker people ?)

Some countries like Germany are monitoring 500.000 test a week which means unfortunately impossible 160 weeks to test everyone, other are doing less or even far less like France whose target is 2.500 tests a day.

And some countries are using cheap uneffective testing with fake positive and fake negative.

But for Normal Nation life to resume, National testing should be finished and I am afraid (because that does not mean herd immunity is acquired) Governements will not let strangers (from non 100% tested countries) in without a Quarantine.

Well it sounds gloomy for Tennis (and of course for Economy and for Families that lost people but we are on a Tennis Forum so I focused on Tennis.)

Of course if you find some other reasons to be more optimistic, share it here, I would be very happy to feel some Sunlight again.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
My point was that this pandemic is not unique in our history, nor is it in the same scale as other diseases we have faced, and currently face, year in, year out.

The first priority has to be the young. They are pretty much not going to die and nor are the parents looking after them so, while it may sound cold, the reality is that it's manageable and humanity will survive.
Yesterday a 16 yo girl died from the virus, experts were at a loss of words, saying this was a very rare occurrence.

Now, i don't want to scare anyone but if you are unlucky and you get a heavy viral load anyone can die from it. My advice is always be on the move when you leave your home, avoid at all costs public transports and keep social distancing to at least 2 meters (3 even better).

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
It is possible we might see some tournaments decide to operate in areas that haven't been affected so hard.
Of course, the players would have to have some notice so they can be prepared and fit to play.
The tournaments might have to use creative seating plans to allow 1/3 of the possible spectators to attend live.
Maybe they would use cheap plexiglass separators. They could also offer special remote Pay-Per-View viewing ability.

Players are at risk from each other since they each touch the ball, so probably they need to be tested prior to tournament play and remain in quarantine during the tournament.
Plastic gloves are not a solution as they would probably tear too easily, even during a point.

Ball kids could definitely wear gloves and masks as well as line and chair umpires.

It's possible tournaments could formulate acceptable solutions for their shareholders.
Tennis can be a leader in showing the way to hold a sporting event even in these dangerous times.

It would be a beautiful thing to see the outdoor grass season unfold in June, a beautiful time, with cheering sparse crowds and acceptable risk, no?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ball kids could definitely wear gloves and masks
If a tournament is held, there should be no ballkids.

Wouldn't it be just beautiful to see top-100 players glaring at their opponent after a wild shot before trudging after the ball?

They shouldn't even adjust the shot clock.

My guess is the measure would also magically reduce the amount of times players need to wipe their faces.

Please, universe, let it happen.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I believe that sadly, you are 100% spot on here. Unlike American sports or national football leagues, the global travel associated with tennis is almost surely to prevent tennis from being played until places all over the world have lifted travel bans and quarantines.

Hopefully we will see some national competitions (like the Russian Premier League) that is going on now or some exho-type events, but I think the ATP and ITF would be wise to just shut down for the year.

·
10,118 Posts
If a tournament is held, there should be no ballkids.

Wouldn't it be just beautiful to see top-100 players glaring at their opponent after a wild shot before trudging after the ball?

They shouldn't even adjust the shot clock.

My guess is the measure would also magically reduce the amount of times players need to wipe their faces.

Please, universe, let it happen.
I've wanted this for a while. It's really not that hard to get the balls.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
It is possible we might see some tournaments decide to operate in areas that haven't been affected so hard.
Of course, the players would have to have some notice so they can be prepared and fit to play.
The tournaments might have to use creative seating plans to allow 1/3 of the possible spectators to attend live.
Maybe they would use cheap plexiglass separators. They could also offer special remote Pay-Per-View viewing ability.

Players are at risk from each other since they each touch the ball, so probably they need to be tested prior to tournament play and remain in quarantine during the tournament.
Plastic gloves are not a solution as they would probably tear too easily, even during a point.

Ball kids could definitely wear gloves and masks as well as line and chair umpires.

It's possible tournaments could formulate acceptable solutions for their shareholders.
Tennis can be a leader in showing the way to hold a sporting event even in these dangerous times.

It would be a beautiful thing to see the outdoor grass season unfold in June, a beautiful time, with cheering sparse crowds and acceptable risk, no?

Respectfully,
masterclass
Still the eternal optimist I see my friend

No tennis till August at the earliest imo

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yeah very optimistic master, as said too many countries with unreliable numbers and 2nd outbreaks possible when quarentine is over, its looking bleak. heck we are JUST coming to senses about it , a lot is going on, a lot will . Tennis organizations wont have a say on travel bans and restrictions , tennis being the global sport it is .

Im afraid should have been signed
Eternal Optimistically,
Masterclass

Pessimistically,
hammett

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
May be an option could be to pick up in IW 21' ? Where the world stopped in 2020 (ok , the tennis one) and resume as if tennis had continued, nothing happened here.

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Still the eternal optimist I see my friend

No tennis till August at the earliest imo

Yeah very optimistic master, as said too many countries with unreliable numbers and 2nd outbreaks possible when quarentine is over, its looking bleak. heck we are JUST coming to senses about it , a lot is going on, a lot will . Tennis organizations wont have a say on travel bans and restrictions , tennis being the global sport it is .

Im afraid should have been signed
Eternal Optimistically,
Masterclass

Pessimistically,
hammett

I had hoped you would have noticed that I took the words right out of POTUS mouth. All will be back on track by Easter, no? ;)

Subtly,
masterclass

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
I had hoped you would have noticed that I took the words right out of POTUS mouth. All will be back on track by Easter, no? ;)

Subtly,
masterclass
lol, Trump says something different every day, who knows what he will say tomorrow.

Now even Boris Johnson is infected, how will this affect UK?

61 - 80 of 98 Posts