Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will the rest of the 2020 tennis season be cancelled?

• Yes

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • No, the tour will resume in the fall in Eastern Asia.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • No, the tour will resume at Roland Garros and/or Laver Cup

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • No, the tour will resume at the US Open

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • No, the tour will resume in North America before the US Open

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • No, the tour will resume for the Olympics in Tokyo.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • No, the tour will resume for Wimbledon

• No, the tour will resume for the start of the grass season

• Who knows? I don't have a crystal ball.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Any of these: I don't care, I'm out of work,it's a mess,the world is ending,tennis isn't important..

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Came across this article today on CNN... be careful. It’s not proven to be a treatment yet.

Arizona man dies after self-medicating with chloroquine to treat coronavirus

Well, it's something that doctors say shows promise—not a panacea. Of course, that doesn't mean you should pump yourself with this medicine without a doctor's supervision. The article doesn't say where the couple got the drug, how much they took, etc. In fact, it tells you very little.

Besides, in general, the same medicine isn't always effective for everyone. I'm sorry to hear about this man, but that doesn't mean that this drug cannot be useful in helping to treat Covid-19 when administered properly.

In fact, the World Health Organization is running a megatrial on the four most promising therapies, and this medicine is one of them:

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is a once in a few hundreds of years epidemic

I don't think we will see tennis for around mid 2021

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Wow, mid 2021? I didn't even put that on my poll. I thought cancelled for the whole of 2020 would be bad enough.

With the recent Chinese numbers, I suspect we could be playing in the Far East by the fall, unless they have a second or third wave.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
Too early to say but I hope for mid summer return still. No Wimbledon or Olympics of course, we will see about USO/RG

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
There's absolutely no way the mortality rate of the virus is 4%. We have no idea how many are infected in the first place, so you can't use "confirmed deaths / confirmed cases" as a statistical measure.

That being said, whether or not the tennis season will resume depends on whether or not international travel stays restricted.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
There's absolutely no way the mortality rate of the virus is 4%. We have no idea how many are infected in the first place, so you can't use "confirmed deaths / confirmed cases" as a statistical measure.

That being said, whether or not the tennis season will resume depends on whether or not international travel stays restricted.
On the Diamond Princess cruise ship, all passengers got tested, 712 were positive and 11 sadly passed away, that's a death rate a little above 1.5%.

Bear in mind i'm not totally sure they got the most aggressive version of the virus (it is supposed to have mutated in some place), in some country with limited health resources, i can easily see the mortality rate going over 5%

·
9,885 Posts
we are at a point where nothing will continue without a vaccine, hoping fast tracked so that tennis can start fresh in 2021.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On the Diamond Princess cruise ship, all passengers got tested, 712 were positive and 11 sadly passed away, that's a death rate a little above 1.5%.

Bear in mind i'm not totally sure they got the most aggressive version of the virus (it is supposed to have mutated in some place), in some country with limited health resources, i can easily see the mortality rate going over 5%
You have to adjust for age range. Cruise ship passengers tend to be elderly and I remember reading that it was no different with the Diamond Princess (though I don't have a link to hand). Once you account for that the death rate comes down still further. Once all the smoke clears and we have a better idea of how many people have had this disease and not even known about it, it wouldn't greatly suprise me if you end up with a death rate pretty similar to seasonal flu.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
You have to adjust for age range. Cruise ship passengers tend to be elderly and I remember reading that it was no different with the Diamond Princess (though I don't have a link to hand). Once you account for that the death rate comes down still further. Once all the smoke clears and we have a better idea of how many people have had this disease and not even known about it, it wouldn't greatly suprise me if you end up with a death rate pretty similar to seasonal flu.
That's impossible, too many people get hospitalised. The mortality depends heavily on weather hospitals can host the most severe case. Better pray the virus doesn't reach Africa or you will see mortality rates going over 10% there.

It seems some people are still underrating the virus which is strange at this point.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's impossible, too many people get hospitalised. The mortality depends heavily on weather hospitals can host the most severe case. Better pray the virus doesn't reach Africa or you will see mortality rates going over 10% there.

It seems some people are still underrating the virus which is strange at this point.
It's not impossible at all. A great many cases (I've seen estimates of 50%-75%) of cases may be asymptomatic with no symptoms whatsoever. In which case there would be a vast reservoir of undetected cases out there which would bring the death rate right down.

It seems some people get all their information from the sensationalist msm which is understandable if unwise ;)

Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates - CEBM

·
Registered
378 Posts

Someone else "underrating the virus":

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK. "

"more information is available about mortality rates (low overall) "

High consequence infectious diseases (HCID)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

·
10,118 Posts
Someone else "underrating the virus":

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK. "

"more information is available about mortality rates (low overall) "

High consequence infectious diseases (HCID)
It's not impossible at all. A great many cases (I've seen estimates of 50%-75%) of cases may be asymptomatic with no symptoms whatsoever. In which case there would be a vast reservoir of undetected cases out there which would bring the death rate right down.

It seems some people get all their information from the sensationalist msm which is understandable if unwise ;)

Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates - CEBM
Very informative, good sources, good research.

Its a deadly virus. Quite a few firsthand accounts I know personally and through third party sources.

This isn't some over sensationalized virus that is like a cold... I don't understand people like yourself.

Also the UK has gone into Lockdown , after believing in the Herd Mentality and that would fix everything and that this virus was just a ship passing through the night...

·
Registered
14,458 Posts
Still holding out hope for USO and new RG date but that dwindles by the day. Could also see USO moving back into the fall but who knows really
Hopefully Djokovic can win one of those and then be the best player of this very truncated season. 🎾

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
Hopefully Djokovic can win one of those and then be the best player of this very truncated season. 🎾
No matter what happens, 2020 will always have an asterisk

41 - 60 of 98 Posts