Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will the rest of the 2020 tennis season be cancelled?

• Yes

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • No, the tour will resume in the fall in Eastern Asia.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • No, the tour will resume at Roland Garros and/or Laver Cup

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • No, the tour will resume at the US Open

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • No, the tour will resume in North America before the US Open

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • No, the tour will resume for the Olympics in Tokyo.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • No, the tour will resume for Wimbledon

• No, the tour will resume for the start of the grass season

• Who knows? I don't have a crystal ball.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Any of these: I don't care, I'm out of work,it's a mess,the world is ending,tennis isn't important..

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

Registered
Look, it simple, and every expert agrees to this. There are only two ways this crisis can be over:

a) When at least 60 % of all people got infected (herd immunity)
b) When a vaccine gets made

The countries all over the world want to prevent plan a), hence the strict measurements. But this means the virus can always come back. There will be waves, and during this time, it is too dangerous to hold large sports events.

So it all comes down to when science will figure out a vaccine. A lot of people say it will take 1 1/2 year, but maybe, given the urgency of the situation, it will be faster.

Still, i consider it very likely that we will not see any tennis 2020 anymore. The Chinese numbers look encouraging, but they by no means can go back to normal, because the virus can always break out again.

We have to wait and see. My gut tells me its going to be long, long 2020 which will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Registered
Italian tennis Federation says Rome is hoping to reschedule the 2020 tournament before Roland Garros in September. They are open to consider a different venue and a different surface 馃槄

Registered
Wonder how long before world tour finals gets scrapped? Pointless if you're only doing it for 3-4 events although names in top 8 probably wouldn't be much different than in November bar Garin.

If it does then will London get chance for final event in 2021 or will it go to Turin?

Registered
Haha, this is an interesting point. After this hiatus they should play until autumn 2021 (placing overdue slams here and there).
WImbledon on xmas day will be interesting....

The problem here is assuming second wave of virus won't happen in winter months in europe so that would wipe out indoor season.

I think they'll be possible opportunity in September up to late October which is probably why they've provisionally put RG in there. Perhaps play a very other clay events like Monte Carlo as warm up if France has decreased for a few months.

Registered
The more the situation unfold the more those Chinese numbers become as credible as North Korea having 0 infected and 0 deceased...

it is entirely possible that north korea does not have anyone infected. they are so isolated . north korea is playing out 1 of 2 ways:

1. its widespread and a lot of people are dieing because they simply dont care enough to help their people

2. because of the isolation and very little going in or coming out infection is either very low or non existant

we may never know the truth

obviously people will look at china for hw==what to expect once the first wave dies down. but they were untruthful in the beginning so who knows what to believe with them

Registered
i said the olympics may be something to think about if things are indeed back to normal by september. well canada and australia pulled out today. domino effect. we should see other countries do the same soon. they'll force the olympic committee's hand to postpone the games.

I doubt Wimbledon goes ahead, looking at that UK graph.
Maybe Asian swing at this stage, otherwise it will not be until the 2021 season.

Your visions will happen
No chance for Wimbledon. No chance for Olympics

Slim chance for USO and new RG

justice for all
it is entirely possible that north korea does not have anyone infected. they are so isolated . north korea is playing out 1 of 2 ways:

1. its widespread and a lot of people are dieing because they simply dont care enough to help their people

2. because of the isolation and very little going in or coming out infection is either very low or non existant

we may never know the truth

obviously people will look at china for hw==what to expect once the first wave dies down. but they were untruthful in the beginning so who knows what to believe with them
I think it鈥檚 very very unlikely they have zero cases. Please bear in mind a lot of people are unofficially smuggling goods via the Chinese - NK border. They just not telling the truth.

justice for all
Look, it simple, and every expert agrees to this. There are only two ways this crisis can be over:

a) When at least 60 % of all people got infected (herd immunity)
b) When a vacchine gets made

The countries all over the world want to prevent plan a), hence the strict measurements. But this means the virus can always come back. There will be waves, and during this time, it is too dangerous to hold large sports events.

So it all comes down to when science will figure out a vacchine. A lot of people say it will take 1 1/2 year, but maybe, given the urgency of the situation, it will be faster.

Still, i consider it very likely that we will not see any tennis 2021 anymore. The Chinese numbers look encouraging, but they by no means can go back to normal, because the virus can always break out again.

We have to wait and see. My gut tells me its going to be long, long 2020 which will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.
There鈥檚 a 3rd option and actually it鈥檚 the most likely one to happen the earliest: that they鈥檒l find a new way/ medicine to successfully treat the disease.
They鈥檙e already testing some existing cures previously used to treat other diseases or under development and some of them look quite promising.

Registered
There鈥檚 a 3rd option and actually it鈥檚 the most likely one to happen the earliest: that they鈥檒l find a new way/ medicine to successfully treat the disease.
They鈥檙e already testing some existing cures previously used to treat other diseases or under development and some of them look quite promising.

Yes, such as chloroquine, which has been used to treat malaria since World War II:

It should just be canceled, lets put fighting the virus and public health as number one priority.

Registered
Oh, in fighting the virus, let's never forget good old-fashioned soap and water. From another article:

Soap very effectively destroys most viruses, including COVID-19. Soap dissolves the fatty membrane that holds the virus together. As the virus falls apart, it is rendered harmless and can easily be washed off under running water.

Also, if you're in a public restroom, it's more hygienic to use paper towels than an air dryer, which according to research actually spreads more germs. And be sure to dispose of them properly, and use a clean paper towel to open the door when you exit (if necessary).

Interesting. Well, hopefully it will help you avoid Covid-19 as well.
Well it will serve a 2nd purpose for sure.
The drug is not expensive either, even for long term use. (about $10 a month- though I can buy it directly from the drug wholesaler)

Registered
When the virus settles down, I think testing at airports and sports events is something that may happen to allow entry

Administrator
Yes, such as chloroquine, which has been used to treat malaria since World War II:

Well it will serve a 2nd purpose for sure.
The drug is not expensive either, even for long term use. (about $10 a month- though I can buy it directly from the drug wholesaler)
Came across this article today on CNN... be careful. It鈥檚 not proven to be a treatment yet.

Arizona man dies after self-medicating with chloroquine to treat coronavirus

21 - 40 of 98 Posts