Mens Tennis Forums banner

????

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about this the other day. Old man, Dull, Gymnast and Bodybuilder certainly made the sport more popular than ever.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The next big 4, Nishikori, Raonic, Dimitrov, Tomic, are waiting in the wings and will take the popularity to even greater heights. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Yes.

It is unlikely we will have 3 all time greats competing in the same era any time again soon. Add to that a good player like Murray - who brings huge interest in the UK.

I guess it might become more popular in Australia with the rise of Kyrgios n' co :lol:.

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes.

It is unlikely we will have 3 all time greats competing in the same era any time again soon. Add to that a good player like Murray - who brings huge interest in the UK.

I guess it might become more popular in Australia with the rise of Kyrgios n' co :lol:.
Agreed. Serena will retire at the same time so there goes the interest completely in tennis in the US lol. US needs another Roddick at least. Any good youngsters? Probably not.

·
Registered
905 Posts
There are always a few "best" players and people get behind them. It won't be as exciting most likely, but before this era the last exciting time was the early 80s with Connors, Borg, McEnroe and Lendl.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Murray don't have any popularity outside of Britain to be honest, clown retiring would be great news for Tennis, if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There may be a drop fir a short while, but the big 4 retiring will be stagged. Federer is to some degree playing out his long retirement tour while trying to be competative, while Djokovic and Murray still have 6 years before they are Fed's age and given their fitness levels will be competiting at the top at that age.

So we are looking at some of the big 4 lasting until 2020 at least. By then some young gun would have taken their spot a sthe dominate player on tour like Fed took it from Sampras, Agassi. There may be some Hewitt like false dawns along the way.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
There may be a drop fir a short while, but the big 4 retiring will be stagged. Federer is to some degree playing out his long retirement tour while trying to be competative, while Djokovic and Murray still have 6 years before they are Fed's age and given their fitness levels will be competiting at the top at that age.

So we are looking at some of the big 4 lasting until 2020 at least. By then some young gun would have taken their spot a sthe dominate player on tour like Fed took it from Sampras, Agassi. There may be some Hewitt like false dawns along the way.
I doubt Murray will be competing at that high a level in 6 years, Djokovic I can see, man's a goddamn machine. But 6 years is a long long time in tennis and we've had these guys for nigh on 8 years, 6 more years is an eternity,

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I doubt Murray will be competing at that high a level in 6 years, Djokovic I can see, man's a goddamn machine. But 6 years is a long long time in tennis and we've had these guys for nigh on 8 years, 6 more years is an eternity,
Why wouldn't Murray be competing if Djokovic isn't? They are only a week appart in age and both nortoriously keep dedicated to being fit, healthy and to get better. Djokovic will also have more wear and tera on his body so far. 33 is hardly old to be retiring, especially with Federer and Nadal going earlier Murray will easily be oe of the two biggest names.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I was wondering about this the other day. Old man, Dull, Gymnast and Bodybuilder certainly made the sport more popular than ever.
Please don't talk about History when you are 22.

Tennis was far more popular in the 80ies.

Borg McEnroe Evert Navratilova and Connors were superstars both in Tennis Newspapers and in Tabloïds.

TV audiences were 3 times higher and everybody was playing.

There were far more recreative players and Tennis was also the fashionnable sport in upper classes where Golf replaced it nowadays.

Only things that increased from that time is prize money and new nations in tennis (China, Serbia...)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Please don't talk about History when you are 22.

Tennis was far more popular in the 80ies.

Borg McEnroe Evert Navratilova and Connors were superstars both in Tennis Newspapers and in Tabloïds.

TV audiences were 3 times higher and everybody was playing.

There were far more recreative players and Tennis was also the fashionnable sport in upper classes where Golf replaced it nowadays.

Only things that increased from that time is prize money and new nations in tennis (China, Serbia...)

This is only true if the USA, tennis is more popular globally today than ever.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Yes temporary and but not by much. The game is bigger than any player or group of players.

There will be new slam winners, new exciting matches, new heroes, ...

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Obviously there will be other top players who will have success and win fans because of that. Djokovic won't be missed much. He is just another (more successful atm) generic baseliner. They are a dime a dozen from an entertainment POV, only standout for his success. It will only be a good thing when he is to be replaced by a younger, hopefully more exciting player.

Nadal and Federer however, especially Fed, bring unique games. Fed's grace, fluidity and beauty is unmatched, the fragility of his game based on shotmaking talent coupled with great success very, very rare. He plays like noone else and will be very missed, when he's gone. I leave appreciation of Nadal to his fans, since I can't do it.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Fed's grace, fluidity and beauty is unmatched, the fragility of his game based on shotmaking talent coupled with great success very, very rare. He plays like noone else and will be very missed, when he's gone.
:lol:
Hopefully with his retirement his whole tard base will wanish from tennis.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
:lol:
Hopefully with his retirement his whole tard base will wanish from tennis.
Well, you may laugh, but if happens what you hope for, it will only be bad for the game, unless you think losing millions of paying fans is a good thing. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Anyone saying yes probably isn't old enough to remember what tennis was like pre-Fedal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts