Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent Corona scare has causes some fotball matches to postponed in italy this past weekend and with discusion of possibly affecting the olympics this summer, is there any chance this can affect some major tennis tournaments like the French Open or Wimby where you have mass gathering of people of all ages roaming around in close spaces.

The virus has come to Italy and I guess it's just a matter of time before it comes to france and a big city like Paris, and a tennis tournament isn't that impoortant when it comes to the general health of the people and players.

And i wouldn't be surprised if players withdrew from the French Open if Paris has documented cases of the virus come FO time, as the virus isn't deadly for most people but having the flu over the summer will cause the players to miss time on the tour if they're infected by someone in the crowd.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Who knows. The virus might be gone once it starts getting warmer. If it's still a problem in 2 or 3 months, even the Olympics might be cancelled.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
and a tennis tournament isn't that impoortant when it comes to the general health of the people and players.
I don't think the authorities care very much about that (Djokovic has said something to this effect IIRC). However, they might just close up if only for PR reasons. Imagine the ruins if Fed keeps his slam record because RG and Wimby were canceled, and by the USO, NG took over ?

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts
Who knows. The virus might be gone once it starts getting warmer. If it's still a problem in 2 or 3 months, even the Olympics might be cancelled.
Coronavirus spreads in cold and dry climates. Humid and warm it does not to so well. When it warms up the disease should dissipate and the authorities should have a vaccine by next winter

All in theory of course

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Coronavirus spreads in cold and dry climates. Humid and warm it does not to so well. When it warms up the disease should dissipate and the authorities should have a vaccine by next winter

All in theory of course
Not quite sure about that as it is spreading in Hong Kong and Singapore, not at a rate as alarming as in other countries but cases are growing steadily daily.

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
International Olympic Committee Member claims Tokyo 2020 could be cancelled if the problem persists for 3 more months

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts

All in theory of course
I am afraid you are wrong Coronaviruses are envelopped viruses so they prefer humid conditions. Dry air kill them.

Temperature can be a factor but in previous Coronavirus (MERS in Saudi Arabia) epidemy, 110°F was not a problem.
So we do not know about this one (Covid19).

Anyhow Earth has two hemispheres with opposite seasons and other part will be soon in an humid climate and places where viruses can spread.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Japon Ecuador (Davis Cup qualifiers) will be played behind closed doors (tickets refund).

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

All in theory of course
Unfortunately, it is not yet known whether the virus will spread less under warmer conditions, although some epidemologists hope that this will be the case.

In any case, I guess it is quite unpredictable how the epidemic will develop. But if it will be that bad in two months from now that some European clay tournaments will have to be cancelled, then I think these tournaments won't be our biggest problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fyi, including about 6(?) challenger tournaments, more than 10 international tennis tournaments in China are already canceled this year. A Japanese Challenger Tournament has been postponed, and a ITF Junior Tournament of Korea also has been postponed.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
We are hunkered down and not traveling anywhere at the moment. It is well known that public aircraft travel is conducive to spreading germs. Of course, it can arrive in other ways, but hopefully with simple cautionary measures most can avoid this...

Protection for the Common folk...

Various Isolation methods...

Responsibly,
masterclass

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
If it goes out of control and a global pandemic grips us, I'm guessing they'll cancel them all.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts