Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will the Big 4 ever get those top 4 spots back at once?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title speaks for itself. I know there may have been a topic on this before and if there has been then ah well, big deal.

What I mean by this question is...will they ever hold the top 4 spots at once again, like they did for 3/4 years straight a while ago? Nadal, Djokovic and Federer are currently in the top 4, so only Murray is missing. He's slowly but surely getting back to form though and is playing much better in Rome. If he can defend his Wimbledon title and get back to his best...I don't see any reason that they couldn't get those top spots back. The only player I see stopping this from happening is Wawrinka, but he's wildly inconsistent and I doubt he can carry on his spontaneous brilliance.

So, do you reckon they can become the Big 4 again? Or, in other words, do you think Murray can get himself back up there? I think he can eventually and I think they will.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Yep, Murphy aka Clayray 6.0 only needs to defeat Federer in RG final. Easy task :shrug:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
If Murray recovers while Federer is still playing, of course yes.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Considering Clayray is obviously winning Rome and RG I'd say we'll have the big 4 back where they belong by Wimbledon.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Murray will return to top 4 after RG imo. Although he will most likely be replacing Federer in that case.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's really hard, even if Murray gets there, I don't think Federer will be there waiting anymore. But there's a slim chance tho.
I do agree that it's a long shot. I know Andy will get back up there eventually but, like you said, Roger being there might not happen.
I hope so
Same here, it'd be good to see them up there again before they eventually crumble with age.
If Murray recovers while Federer is still playing, of course yes.
That's what I'm hoping will happen.
Who are the Big 4?
Nadal, Djokovic, Federer and Murray as a group. You know, the players who have dominated the past 10 years?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It might happen, if Murray recovers his ranking before Fed's starts to drop, but it surely won't be for more than a couple of months. In the best scenario, Roger might hold on for another year (not that the competition is very fierce atm), but no more.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Probably not, Murray would have to get back to top form quite quickly and Federer would need to hang on longer than I think he can for this to happen.

·
23,064 Posts
Hard to see this year as the most possible way I think is on post-Wimbledon where Federer and Murray underperformed. I have a feeling Ferrer would go deep on RG again and now they have players who could push them like Nishikori and Dimitrov. This is 2014 though -- hard to predict anything, hehe.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I doubt it. Federer is losing odd matches. And Wawrinka is into the mix. Ferrer is always lingering behind Fed. But likely, Ferrer may drop his RG final points. And Murray is 8th with his Wimby defence. It is almost not possible to get them back together. It was fun while it lasted. :)

·
23,064 Posts
It is fun to see lately some top players have been a little fearless against them even if they lose, and have been more competitive to a degree, although Nadal and Djokovic's forms are really not in good condition in fairness.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts