Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Marca Sport Newspaper, the Community of Madrid sent a message to Feliciano Lopez, director of the event, that it would not be safe to play the ATP Masters of Madrid at the current dates as there is a significant rise in the cases of Corona in the area of Madrid. The final decision should be taken soon.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
It will be cancelled, obviously.

Clay masters won by Nadal 2020: zero

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
per the tournament itself its in doubt as of now. will decide within the next week. i can see it being cancelled. the europeans do appear more cautious with this kind of thing than the americans(well, everybody minus brazil does really)

and really if madrid goes woud have to think rome would be on thin ice with numbers on the rise in italy too

it could very well be that the only events played for the remainder of the year are cinci and the US open. which is quite ironic given what a disaster the united states is. although that might be a reflection more of how desparate the is for money than anything

·
|
14,625 Posts
Just play it at Rafa's Academy or Roland Garros.
Easily done, since you don't even need crowds, so any court will do.

·
Registered
11,818 Posts

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
i seriously doubt madrid will be held at this point. id put the chances about 1% and rome's only slightly better

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
honestly there is no point of any tournament being held right now. like i said before, focus on regional events. tennis could very well end up like baseball. trying to go forward when players are constantly traveling and then having to deal with consequences when players test positive.. right now its pretty stupid and selfish to assume this can continue.

i mean..right now the calendar for the year looks to be this:

cinci
US open
Rome
French open

Madrid is likley getting cancelled tomorrow and i dont have confidencde in rome whats even the point in that

if im right it could be this:

Cinci
US open
French open

·
Registered
11,818 Posts
Just play it at Rafa's Academy or Roland Garros.
Easily done, since you don't even need crowds, so any court will do.
Yes, I'm a bit surprised they didn't use the USTA's bubble idea and move Madrid and Rome to the Paris bubble of Roland Garros. ;)
Probably a bit more difficult though seeing as different countries are involved...

Suggestively,
masterclass

Reactions: NADALalot

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I
If US Open goes ahead,I don't see the problem with madrid
With spectators, any event can be a problem. US Open is much safer, as they are doing it without spectators.

We did a poll here earlier.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes, I'm a bit surprised they didn't use the USTA's bubble idea and move Madrid and Rome to the Paris bubble of Roland Garros. ;)
Probably a bit more difficult though seeing as different countries are involved...

Suggestively,
masterclass
I think the response I've heard is that the USTA owns Cincinnati and the TV rights for the event + the US Open are likely linked, so moving it to the BJK Tennis Center was a pretty easy decision to make. Meanwhile, that isn't the case for Madrid or Rome.

We'll see. Maybe if Madrid is canceled, another event will be held that week in its place. Or, the FFT will put on some tournaments before RG so players can still get match practice instead of having empty calendar slots leading up the main event.

·
|
14,625 Posts
Spain had a motoGP and they gave the drivers a certificate that excluded them from quarantining.
So the tennis players would have received the same certificate.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Which means some of those players who were contemplating of not playing Cincy/USO earlier may now consider traveling to the U.S. and playing them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts