Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think the 2020 US Open and French Open will take place?

• Both will take place

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Only the US Open

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Only the French Open

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Both will be cancelled

Votes: 15 19.2%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Everyone wanted it to be done so badly lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There's growing evidence that seasonal climate conditions have an important (although second order) role in the propagation of COVID 19*. Basically temperatures between 5C and 10C tend to favor the virus, so I'm not super sure about the French either.

*An important caveat is that since the disease is new, way more studies are needed to build a solid consensus. It usually take years or decades, and hundreds or thousands of publications, to reach a consensus in science.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
With the news of Washington cancellation I think the US Open is toast

In the meantime "Spain's coronavirus rate triples in three weeks after lockdown easing". What does this mean for the French? Looking at the numbers I see just a slight increase in France, but probably undistinguishable from background noise.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Well.. of course that's what you're hoping for. I mean, you're a Federer fan. However, Washington has nothing to do with New York or the USO (a slam), so it's wishful thinking.

·
Registered
660 Posts

I'm guessing Kyrgios would not be playing until there is a vaccine. I wonder if he's the only one or there are other players with that position.
Is Nick in Australia?

Would you get on an aeroplane to NYC having to accept that it is impossible to protect oneself 100% from a virus, putting yourself and family at risk and being away from home. After all, many parts of Australia are some of the best places to be during this pandemic!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Easy to believe that when you are secure financially. Also who is to say there will ever be a vaccine? We just supposed to lock ourselves in the house forever?
I agree, but Nick IS secure financially, and if you were would you put yourself and family at risk? He isn't locked down in a 2 room apartment on the 33rd floor - I imagine he's in a large house with large gardens and a nice swimming pool with every amenity anyone could want!!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Looking at the COVID situation in USA right now... there is no chance in hell for USO to happen,:(

As for Roland Garros, are they crazy?

abandon year and start again in 2020
Great idea. :cool:

·
|
14,625 Posts
There is a good chance the virus will dominate 2021, so we should get as much tennis played now as possible, and there is nothing stopping Roland Garros this year.
Australia is getting worse and worse, so I find it funny when people say "forget 2020, just start fresh in 2021" as if the calendar has something to do with the virus....

·
Registered
7,101 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Tennis fans are smart enough to look at data and analyze it over fearmongering headlines. Yes there is unreliable data everywhere but what I found interesting when I last looked at worldometers last night was this:

In the last 7 days, USA had an increase of just 749 'critical' or 'serious' cases, whereas the Rest of the World had an even lower increase of 221 cases that are classed as 'Critical' or 'Severe'.

I live in the UK, where the Mortality figures have been magnified massively. People who die of other conditions are put down as covid. I also kept track of the UK's 'Critical/Serious' numbers and even when 800 deaths were reported each day for a week or two (plateauing) the number of serious or critical cases remained around 500 and never went above 500 during the entire wave we had. So this could suggest the data is so badly sprung together or it could suggest that the numbers are being purposefuly fudged

Either way, we have unreliable data. Plus we have political agendas at play

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tennis fans are smart enough to look at data and analyze it over fearmongering headlines. Yes there is unreliable data everywhere but what I found interesting when I last looked at worldometers last night was this:

In the last 7 days, USA had an increase of just 749 'critical' or 'serious' cases, whereas the Rest of the World had an even lower increase of 221 cases that are classed as 'Critical' or 'Severe'.

I live in the UK, where the Mortality figures have been magnified massively. People who die of other conditions are put down as covid. I also kept track of the UK's 'Critical/Serious' numbers and even when 800 deaths were reported each day for a week or two (plateauing) the number of serious or critical cases remained around 500 and never went above 500 during the entire wave we had. So this could suggest the data is so badly sprung together or it could suggest that the numbers are being purposefuly fudged

Either way, we have unreliable data. Plus we have political agendas at play
Actually, the Covid death toll may well be under-reported.in the US.

Excerpts from the Journal of the American Medical Association:
Question Did more all-cause deaths occur during the first months of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic in the United States compared with the same months during previous years?

Findings In this cohort study, the number of deaths due to any cause increased by approximately 122 000 from March 1 to May 30, 2020, which is 28% higher than the reported number of COVID-19 deaths.

Meaning Official tallies of deaths due to COVID-19 underestimate the full increase in deaths associated with the pandemic in many states.

Full article here:
Excess Deaths

·
|
14,625 Posts
Actually, the Covid death toll may well be under-reported.in the US.

Excerpts from the Journal of the American Medical Association:
Question Did more all-cause deaths occur during the first months of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic in the United States compared with the same months during previous years?

Findings In this cohort study, the number of deaths due to any cause increased by approximately 122 000 from March 1 to May 30, 2020, which is 28% higher than the reported number of COVID-19 deaths.

Meaning Official tallies of deaths due to COVID-19 underestimate the full increase in deaths associated with the pandemic in many states.

Full article here:
Excess Deaths
lock.jpg

41 - 60 of 246 Posts