Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think the 2020 US Open and French Open will take place?

• Both will take place

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Only the US Open

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Only the French Open

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Both will be cancelled

Votes: 15 19.2%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 246 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,430 Posts
I'm 99% sure there will be a vaccine, but there's always the chance. While there are no vaccines for the other variants of coronaviruses that affect humans, that is mainly due to economic incentives. The coronaviruses in circulation other than covid 19 cause just a common cold, so there's no incentive to produce a vaccine. The other severe coronaviruses (producing MERS and SARS) fizzled out pretty quickly too. The virus itself seems pretty stable (doesn't mutate super fast) and people develop antibodies, so scientists should be able to crack the code.

About the part about being secure financially, I totally agree.
Yes you are correct. There is a lot of money in a vaccine right now

Kyrgios never wanted to play tennis even before Corona so we should hardly take his opinion as gospel haha

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
People feeling optimistic I see. It would be nice to have some tennis soon but I'm still cautious
I liked the optimism in NY organizers , RG bold moves and tennis fans around , since I was always much against tennis in 2020. It sort of got to me. But IMO safety measures , travelling and fair opportunity for everyone , all had to be granted and would 't be able to be met . Certainly fairness wasn't complied for qualies and wheelchair tennis and still waiting for travelling to be clear. Gotta say now Im fine with the safety meassures proposed in those 2 tournaments.

But since this is anot an what-you -feel thread but rather an objective take on what -you -think -may- happen, I' d go ahead with the careful approach on the USO , having my reserves on it ... . I think its pretty much a gambleon right now, NY as part of USA is not completly sure to manage the situation completly, political pressures not to favor a sport over other plus there is little assurance south americans may even get there , pretty much the whole continent is focked right now, plus an american upcomming ban by the EU . Its all in the air if you ask me . Djo-covid tour resonance included . Id say USO gets cancelled

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
We know there will be

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
In hindsight, bold (and for some people selfish) move by the French Open. Not only did it take some smaller tournaments place in the schedule but also blocked any chance of the US Open to reschedule.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I don't see either happening, not after the Djokovic positive test and the bombshell. Like I said earlier, coronavirus seems quite commonly spread by athletes - which is why everyone who's trying to reopen hasn't been successful.

·
RAVE ON
18,777 Posts
Looks like the US Open will not be possible. It is like Day One of the pandemic all over again across the country.

May I suggest they hold it in Toronto?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I don't see either happening, not after the Djokovic positive test and the bombshell. Like I said earlier, coronavirus seems quite commonly spread by athletes - which is why everyone who's trying to reopen hasn't been successful.
They didn't get it from playing tennis, though? 🤔

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looks like the US Open will not be possible. It is like Day One of the pandemic all over again across the country.

May I suggest they hold it in Toronto?
Yup. Record day of new cases in the whole US.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
IW/Cali, Miami, Orlando or Cincy r all on the table if NY doesn’t work out. Adria tour should have no bearing on a GS level tournament staged annually by proven professionals.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
IW/Cali, Miami, Orlando or Cincy r all on the table if NY doesn’t work out. Adria tour should have no bearing on a GS level tournament staged annually by proven professionals.
I'm not sure you can really plan the logistics in two months or less, maybe I'm wrong. In any case, at the moment of all the places you mention NY is the one in better shape.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The US Open is done. With cases rising in 30 states now in the US, its only a matter of time till New York gets hit by the second wave.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
All you Fedtards hoping they get cancelled so Roger can maintain his lead are going to be sorely disappointed.

NBA is back at the end of July. MLB is also back middle of July.
Golf is already being played here every weekend.

Tennis is going to be played. And Rafa will get 20 at RG. Novak will draw closer at USO, and your tears will be delicious as you attempt to put an asterisk on these Slams.

Notice it’s only Fed fans wanting tennis to stop...you people are so easily seen thru.

·
|
14,625 Posts
Djokovic has only won ONE of the last FOUR US Opens, and his victory came in 2018 when Rafa retired from the Semis!
This is Rafa's year.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yesterday the US beat the record for new COVID19 cases (+77000) again, with new deaths starting to catch. Also, there's the looming chance of the NFL season cancellation. Not looking good for the US Open

21 - 40 of 246 Posts