Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think the 2020 US Open and French Open will take place?

• Both will take place

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Only the US Open

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Only the French Open

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Both will be cancelled

Votes: 15 19.2%

• Total voters
241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Banned
693 Posts
Lopez being a little bit dramatic about things. I've got news for him, the ATP doesn't need all events to survive. Tennis is one of the richest sports, especially the governing bodies that are loaded.

Besides, what's wrong with business administration these days? It's like companies/organisations are ashamed of having a financial buffer. They're acting like any possible backlash needs to be compensated asap. Last time I checked the Madrid event is considered to be quite big so you'd expect some kind of financial buffer. Well, it is Spain of course so we should be happy they haven't asked the EU for financial support yet.

The article states Lopez thinks people will be able to travel freely and the borders are opening up within two weeks or so. The date of the article is 15 June 2020. So Lopez was talking about the beginning of July for this to happen? Look around mrs Murray's toyboy, it's August and countless planes are grounded at airports worldwide. Travel restrictions are all over the news.

(no offence to Lopez himself, love his game and he seems nice, but these statements aren't very realistic)
Totally respectable.
You know what? You stay in your basement, and away from internet (it spreads the virus too, if you didn't know), and we'll organize some food delivery service and such to cover you.
Sit tight and wait for our signal. We'll let you know when it's safe to get out.
You're very important to us and we just want to make sure you're ok, even if all of us have to sacrifice by testing life, going out, attending events and generally having fun.
Stay put!
If you have to breath, breath shallow... short bursts... and don't forget the mask... In your basement... Alone... Safe.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Totally respectable.
You know what? You stay in your basement, and away from internet (it spreads the virus too, if you didn't know), and we'll organize some food delivery service and such to cover you.
Sit tight and wait for our signal. We'll let you know when it's safe to get out.
You're very important to us and we just want to make sure you're ok, even if all of us have to sacrifice by testing life, going out, attending events and generally having fun.
Stay put!
If you have to breath, breath shallow... short bursts... and don't forget the mask... In your basement... Alone... Safe.
Wow, a response from a true tard acting like he's a new member here. Who'd expect that?

You shouldn't worry about me. It'll only influence your level of stress. USO should happen otherwise you'll be on suicide watch.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Wow, a response from a true tard acting like he's a new member here. Who'd expect that?

You shouldn't worry about me. It'll only influence your level of stress. USO should happen otherwise you'll be on suicide watch.
whew... load off of my shoulders. I won't worry, but you take care of yourself, you hear? It's really important to us.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Feliciano Lopez's latest interview about Madrid. I used google translate.

What is the latest information you can give us regarding the Mutua Madrid Open?
You saw the press release today. We are there for the moment. We were confident two months ago that the tournament would take place. The situation has worsened in the last two or three weeks in the Madrid region, not just in the city of Madrid, but in the whole region. We have had an increase in cases, the numbers have continued to increase. We have to be realistic now, we have to accept that health is always the priority. We must not endanger anyone, neither the fans, nor the players, nor the staff, all those who come to Madrid in September. Considering the situation we are facing today, we will make a final decision in the next two or three days.

You are not very optimistic. It seems there is very little chance of the tournament happening, right?
We are not very optimistic now. We were very positive a few weeks ago. We have a very good protocol, everything is ready, we worked hard for the event to take place, because it is also very important to offer tournaments to the players today. We haven't played since March (on the professional circuit). Dubai and Acapulco were the last contested tournaments. It's very long. We need to play, we must play! But only when the conditions for safe play are met. Today, we must understand that the situation has worsened and we must take that into account, we cannot avoid the situation we are currently facing. Last week, we had meetings with the government. His recommendation is to cancel all events now during the summer. Of course, the decision is ours, it will be that of Ion (Tiriac, owner of the tournament). We have to work with everyone, the government, the ATP, the WTA and make the best decision for everyone. But we must also listen to the recommendations of the authorities, see how the situation is developing this week. We're going to meet with Ion in Madrid. But if one were to cancel the event, there would be a lot of sadness for everyone.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Lol Madrid is done. Another one of @NADALalot s misguided predictions exposed.

So basically, there is only Rome as a preparation for clay left, which of course hangs in the balance, too. But since @NADALalot stated that Nadal will not play a Masters event the week before RG, there will be no clay preparation for the Spaniard and no possibility to restore his confidence after the AO roast.

I hope FO can be played. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
With the Madrid Masters cancellation, I'm starting to think that maybe the US Open will happen but the French might not. Cases have increased quite a bit in France, although not as clearly as in Spain

241 - 246 of 246 Posts