Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think the 2020 US Open and French Open will take place?

• Both will take place

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Only the US Open

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Only the French Open

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Both will be cancelled

Votes: 15 19.2%

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Stich:
"I think it would be better to tick off the year, focus on next year and act now to create an optimal environment for the players next year," said the two-time Olympic champion from 1992 during of a podcast on ARD, the television channel.

For Stich, participating in the Flushing Meadows Major Tournament is currently out of the question. “I would worry about my health. I also think that the value of a victory at the US Open is very questionable under these conditions. If the Europeans don't come and the Australians don't, you have to ask yourself: is it worth it? "
Didn't Stich retire from tennis, a long time ago? If he worries about his health, he can cover himself under the sheets, snore, and sleep at home? Why is he opening his mouth on this issue and discouraging others from traveling to the U.S.? I have always felt that an average sportsman does not have a business-sense, and Stich proved it by opening his mouth.

Well, Mr. Stich, it is not about the victory. There are many important things in life than just the victory and the individual who wins the title. There are many people's lives that are dependent on the sport. It is the question of rebuilding the sport, the business, and the economy (yeah, the U.S. economy). So, the Europeans and the Australians got greedy and came to US to make money when the US economy was prospering until last year. However, when the same US economy is in turmoil, this year, and needs help in rebuilding, the same Europeans and Australians will not come forward and question, "is it worth it?" When the US economy starts thriving again, next year, then the Europeans and the Australians are okay to rush to the US to leech and suck money from the US again.

What a shame.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Didn't Stich retire from tennis, a long time ago? If he worries about his health, he can cover himself under the sheets, snore, and sleep at home? Why is he opening his mouth on this issue and discouraging others from traveling to the U.S.? I have always felt that an average sportsman does not have a business-sense, and Stich proved it by opening his mouth.

Well, Mr. Stich, it is not about the victory. There are many important things in life than just the victory and the individual who wins the title. There are many people's lives that are dependent on the sport. It is the question of rebuilding the sport, the business, and the economy (yeah, the U.S. economy). So, the Europeans and the Australians got greedy and came to US to make money when the US economy was prospering until last year. However, when the same US economy is in turmoil, this year, and needs help in rebuilding, the same Europeans and Australians will not come forward and question, "is it worth it?" When the US economy starts thriving again, next year, then the Europeans and the Australians are okay to rush to the US to leech and suck money from the US again.

What a shame.
Although you have a point there , Stich does too , and is entitled to one just as you do now . It is about business , jobs , solidarity , get on your feet, etc but it's also about responsability , competitiveness , some degree of concensus and a sense of reality too . Economy not always is a smart driving decision . So It's a matter of what you pick here in this complex situation. Freedom of the players to decide seems the logic at their own risk but USO history will take a hit inexorably , potentially more than one asterisk if people test positive or if few top players show up . Then , they 'll know if it was worth it or not . But then I get what you say now here , and I already said the efforts by the organizers are admirable to get on board with .

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Stop with the asterisk. It will never happen in the record books, which is all that matters. What fans of a certain player want and think is irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
USO will still have a 128 player draw and most of the top players will likely be there. Someone like Rod Laver won slams with 48 player draws and none of that is asterisked and is considered the same as any other year. The entire 2017 season saw most of the best players of 2014-2016 injured, but yet that isn't asterisked. This is the new normal atm and it will count just like any other year.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Many players were injured, including the player who dominated Federer and Nadal. But anyway, it will never be asterisked, so what Fedtards want and think is irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Wow, Barty can only be respected for her decision. She's not even waiting for a possible cancellation. She made up her own mind together with her team. Hats off to her!

F1 driver Perez has been tested positive and won't race this weekend. So far for organising sports within bubbles...

Irrespective of the sport, European athletes have got some thinking to do. Seems like corona likes to interfere with people enjoying the summer. And by that, I mean dumbass people giving corona the finger by acting carelessly. In The Netherlands, the mayors of Amsterdam and Rotterdam stated people have to start wearing masks next week, because restaurants and pubs are led by careless idiots as well resulting into large crowds in these cities. This is quite something, because our government still thinks wearing masks is nonsense.
Infection rate per capita is higher in Australia than in NY area lol, Bartys retarded excuse is exactly that, retarded.

Perez got infected not in a bubble, he went back to Mexico and later on a trip to Italy with his wife.

You right about general public relaxing to much and governments ignoring it until numbers get way too high. I dont see many people talking about this here, but theres a really decent chance that USO happens, but FO will not. Infection rate in autumn most likely will be much higher and harder to control with flue season starting. Thats why i think players like Nadal will not bank on FO happening and will give it all at USO.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Roland Garros in october...absolutely hillarious. :ROFLMAO:(n) I hope it rains all week at 12°C.
I guess money can buy everything :(

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Does RG have the indoor roof facility ready yet or did the pandemic slow it down? I can already sense all the Nadbots' BP’s going up pondering him having to compete indoors due to nonstop rain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Barty pulling out from entering a bubble that’s taking place in a state that is now under control is absolutely laughable. Look at the testing bubbles for the NHL and NBA. They haven’t had one damn case. Not ONE. Like it even matters tho. Instead of 25 women title contenders there are now 24. All the main men will be there unless they’re injured. That’s all anyone really cares about anyway.

·
|
14,620 Posts
Does RG have the indoor roof facility ready yet or did the pandemic slow it down? I can already sense all the Nadbots' BP’s going up pondering him having to compete indoors due to nonstop rain.
Djokovic needed a 10-8 5th Set to beat Rafa at Wimbledon 2018 INDOORS, and that match was a higher standard than the 2019 Wimbledon Final.
So a roof definitely won't stop Rafa at Roland Garros....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Barty pulling out from entering a bubble that’s taking place in a state that is now under control is absolutely laughable. Look at the testing bubbles for the NHL and NBA. They haven’t had one damn case. Not ONE. Like it even matters tho. Instead of 25 women title contenders there are now 24. All the main men will be there unless they’re injured. That’s all anyone really cares about anyway.
A difference is that in the NBA/NFL players are not international sports. You really don't need to deal with going from one country to another, with all the different restrictions.

Also, as previous incidents have shown (Adria Tour, Isner Tournament forgot the name), tennis players ain't the sharpest tools in the shed. I can bet they won't be following restrictions.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I don't mind if Rome is cancelled, because Rafa already has the maximum points from 2019 Rome, plus he never plays the week before a slam anyway.
With Madrid being an absolute lock of NOT happening, your beloved Rafa will have no tournament left to prepare. Not that it is likely that the FO happen at all, given the recent numbers...

But if FO happen, Nadal will go down in flames due to lack of preparation and weather conditions.

Prepare to kneel in front of me, my beloved nutcase. The rest of the year will be brutal for you, and I intend to collect every precious tear you spill.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Roland Garros in october...absolutely hillarious. :ROFLMAO:(n) I hope it rains all week at 12°C.
I guess money can buy everything :(
Everything except class. Even the Americans are doing better than the French - the French still don't have more recoveries than cases.

201 - 220 of 245 Posts