Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think the 2020 US Open and French Open will take place?

• Both will take place

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Only the US Open

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Only the French Open

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Both will be cancelled

Votes: 15 19.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the situation over France and the New York State has greatly improved (the US at large have increasing cases right now), COVID19 has not by any means been controlled in both places (to the tune of 500 new cases and ~50 deaths per day). The recent increase in cases in the US after reopening shows that the possibility of re-emergence in both places is real. As an aside, the New York Marathon (taking place in November) has just been cancelled.

Taking this into consideration, and the Novak fiasco, the situation surely looks grimmer for both tournaments than a week ago. Do you think the US Open and French Open will actually take place? Only the French Open? Only the US Open? None?

My hunch is that the US open will be eventually cancelled and 50/50 with the French Open, depending on how well the reopening of France go.

·
|
14,625 Posts
The US Open has no choice, they have to play, because of all the money lost if they don't.
Same applies to French Open, definitely playing, plus the extra enticement of wanting to debut their new roof.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Both will take place. Nobody at the Adria Tour got COVID-19 from playing tennis. They got it from other activities that wouldn't be allowed at USO or FO.

·
Your visions will happen
47,435 Posts
Djokovic will be quarantined in the airport LaGuardia Mariott Hotel with Uncle Toni on watch at all times outside the hotel room, switching night shifts with Mirka, making sure no hijinks can occur

·
Your visions will happen
47,435 Posts
If the USTA does not hold USO, there may not be a USTA anymore, so it is very important to hold the event

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The USTA will do whatever it needs to to make the USO happen, the tournament is the source of pretty much all its revenue. The extracurricular Adria Tour foolishness won't happen.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Right now, I think they will take place otherwise both events would lose too much money. Marathons in Berlin and New York are cancelled but too many runners are gathered next to each other, so very different from the tennis if played with the right measures (not like the Adria Tour). One of the big problem for the US Open will be the travelling. They had first proposed a few chartered flights from different places (Buenos Aires, 3 cities in Europe and another place, I don't remember which one) but they forget this idea and players will have to travel on their own which for some of them will be complicated as for instance, all international flights from/to Argentina are cancelled until end of August and with the poor situation in South America, I wonder how the players from this part of the World will arrive in the US in August to play the US Open and the previous tournaments. Good point for the US Open : hotels will be booked and blocked for the players only (and their reduced staff).
As for the FO, the health situation is currently better in France, travelling should be easier than for the USA, but players will stay in many different hotels and not only for players, also for any guest, so it will be more complicated to control the players and so more chance for the virus to circulate.

·
Registered
849 Posts
There is definitely a question mark over the US Open, as several golfers have withdrawn from the PGA Tour due to either them or members of their team contracting Covid-19. They haven't cancelled tournaments yet, but Golf Monthly describes the current situation as a "crisis".

If the PGA Tour is called off, the USTA would face massive pressure to cancel the US Open. I'm not sure if I really agree with this, as we have to accept that people are going to contract this virus, and if they've made the decision to go ahead then they should just stick to it. But there is always a media furore surrounding anything like this, and professional athletes who put their health first may not wish to take risks with what can clearly be a debilitating virus.

In my opinion, the organisers should simply state that every precaution possible will be taken, but players and people working at the tournament will have to accept that they could contract Covid, just as there are risks in everything we do. But that sort of statement is not accepted in this day and age, so they'll have to pretend that it's vital that absolutely no-one contracts the virus, and that this can somehow be achieved by protocols.

The reality is that it can't be achieved by protocols, so all bets are off at this stage.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Right now, I think they will take place otherwise both events would lose too much money. Marathons in Berlin and New York are cancelled but too many runners are gathered next to each other, so very different from the tennis if played with the right measures (not like the Adria Tour). One of the big problem for the US Open will be the travelling. They had first proposed a few chartered flights from different places (Buenos Aires, 3 cities in Europe and another place, I don't remember which one) but they forget this idea and players will have to travel on their own which for some of them will be complicated as for instance, all international flights from/to Argentina are cancelled until end of August and with the poor situation in South America, I wonder how the players from this part of the World will arrive in the US in August to play the US Open and the previous tournaments. Good point for the US Open : hotels will be booked and blocked for the players only (and their reduced staff).
As for the FO, the health situation is currently better in France, travelling should be easier than for the USA, but players will stay in many different hotels and not only for players, also for any guest, so it will be more complicated to control the players and so more chance for the virus to circulate.
There is definitely a question mark over the US Open, as several golfers have withdrawn from the PGA Tour due to either them or members of their team contracting Covid-19. They haven't cancelled tournaments yet, but Golf Monthly describes the current situation as a "crisis".

If the PGA Tour is called off, the USTA would face massive pressure to cancel the US Open. I'm not sure if I really agree with this, as we have to accept that people are going to contract this virus, and if they've made the decision to go ahead then they should just stick to it. But there is always a media furore surrounding anything like this, and professional athletes who put their health first may not wish to take risks with what can clearly be a debilitating virus.

In my opinion, the organisers should simply state that every precaution possible will be taken, but players and people working at the tournament will have to accept that they could contract Covid, just as there are risks in everything we do. But that sort of statement is not accepted in this day and age, so they'll have to pretend that it's vital that absolutely no-one contracts the virus, and that this can somehow be achieved by protocols.

The reality is that it can't be achieved by protocols, so all bets are off at this stage.

Two non fanatically put well thought out informative careful posts in a row , wow , I'm amazed by Mtf . I believe again haha

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
TL;DR

They will, they have to. There is no other way, financially and just going on even amongst the most severe pandemic times.

Tennis must live on!

·
RAVE ON
18,778 Posts
It looks like all the tennis players residing in Florida will have to arrive in New York 2 weeks early and stay in quarantine. Unless Florida gets its act together.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Don't understand this "they'll lose money if they cancel" argument. They're going to have no crowds, which means they're going to lose money if they play it. If they don't, they don't have to pay the prize funds...and a lot of the overheads...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure but I guess most of the money they make is due to TV and sponsors

·
Your visions will happen
47,435 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Easy to believe that when you are secure financially. Also who is to say there will ever be a vaccine? We just supposed to lock ourselves in the house forever?
I'm 99% sure there will be a vaccine, but there's always the chance. While there are no vaccines for the other variants of coronaviruses that affect humans, that is mainly due to economic incentives. The coronaviruses in circulation other than covid 19 cause just a common cold, so there's no incentive to produce a vaccine. The other severe coronaviruses (producing MERS and SARS) fizzled out pretty quickly too. The virus itself seems pretty stable (doesn't mutate super fast) and people develop antibodies, so scientists should be able to crack the code.

About the part about being secure financially, I totally agree.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts