Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...after Friday? Their effort was so poor, I thought for sure Hewitt and/or Groth would be playing in singles today. I mean Groth was only man besides world #1 Djokovic to take a set from Federer this past Wimbledon and they're obviously on a grass surface that suits his game.

If the youngsters blow it a second time around, the team coach and relevant parties will have to blame themselves for not putting the hungrier gentlemen in.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
You're four minutes late on the breaking news, lol:

Davis Cup ‏@DavisCup 5m5 minutes ago
#AUSKAZ It will be @SamGrothTennis to lead the Australian charge on day 3 in Darwin as he replaces @NickKyrgios

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're four minutes late on the breaking news, lol:

Davis Cup ‏@DavisCup 5m5 minutes ago
#AUSKAZ It will be @SamGrothTennis to lead the Australian charge on day 3 in Darwin as he replaces @NickKyrgios
Got it, thanks and makes sense.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Wow, I don't agree with that. I think Kyrgios would've learnt from Friday's experience and Groth is not a proven big moments player (not to mention serve only). Australia reduced their chances of winning this tie with this move.

·
Registered
789 Posts
This is silly stuff having mugs like Masur have the captaincy. Choosing the "Aussie Battler" over the more talented and proven grass court player. Could cost his nation the Davis Cup.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aussie captain is taking the worst decitions I remember. He should be fired

First of all, he chooses Kokkinakis to play in grass. Stupid decision. Kokkinakis forehand is not for grass, is a typical powerful strike for clay or slow hard.

Second one, he chooses Kyrgios who was not adapted to this special conditions (totally different than Wimby) instead of experience Hewitt who is a great returner... For sure Had won Nedovyesov

Finally. 2 days after when superstar Kyrgios for sure si feeling better at this conditions, he chooses Groth, who anyone knows is just a good server. Probably condidence Kuku can beat him

Maybe the Cheeta Monkey would have taken better decisitions

·
Registered
789 Posts

First of all, he chooses Kokkinakis to play in grass. Stupid decision. Kokkinakis forehand is not for grass, is a typical powerful strike for clay or slow hard.

Second one, he chooses Kyrgios who was not adapted to this special conditions (totally different than Wimby) instead of experience Hewitt who is a great returner... For sure Had won Nedovyesov

Finally. 2 days after when superstar Kyrgios for sure si feeling better at this conditions, he chooses Groth, who anyone knows is just a good server. Probably condidence Kuku can beat him

This diegod1985 knows tennis :yeah:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah playing Kokkinakis on grass was really his first and fatal boneheaded decision.

The thing is, it's hard to play Nick again when it's clear his head isn't in the game. At least Groth will go out to fight for his country, so even if he loses, you can defend the coach's decision...Nick going on walkabout and stumbling about to a half-hearted loss would bring more criticism if it happened.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
789 Posts
The thing is, it's hard to play Nick again when it's clear his head isn't in the game. At least Groth will go out to fight for his country, so even if he loses, you can defend the coach's decision...Nick going on walkabout and stumbling about to a half-hearted loss would bring more criticism if it happened.

This is where the Captain needs to know the personality of his player. Is Kyrgios likely to produce another lethargic effort or will he learn from his experience and rise to the occasion? I would say the answer is yes.

Using a lesser player who will "battle and try hard" as a safe option is not recommended when you have aims of winning the tournament, not just being a respectable team who "put up a fight".

I would still make Sam the slight favourite but I feel this decision opens the door for a Kazakhstan victory moreso than if Kyrgios was playing.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is where the Captain needs to know the personality of his player. Is Kyrgios likely to produce another lethargic effort or will he learn from his experience and rise to the occasion? I would say the answer is yes.

Using a lesser player who will "battle and try hard" as a safe option is not recommended when you have aims of winning the tournament, not just being a respectable team who "put up a fight".

I would still make Sam the slight favourite but I feel this decision opens the door for a Kazakhstan victory moreso than if Kyrgios was playing.

Idk I really don't think current Kyrgios is a much better player than Groth. Sam's not bad and this is a surface for him. He's not that shy on match wins L2Y. Nick barely wins outside of Slams.

If Australia were smart about playing the young guns as their singles leads in this tie vs. Kazakhs, they should have stuck to a standard, slow-to-medium paced hard court.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Totally agree. Kyrgios is one of this players who needs this kind of challenges. On Friday he just felt really bad on court. But 2 days more is a lot of time to improve.

Maybe Groth can do it. Watching first set Kuku is not returning well and has many problems to defend. But in spite of he wins, I will defend kyrgios to be the first option, and Lleyton for the 5th.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well Groth won the first set and it's on serve in the second, so seems like a good decision so far. Hewitt practising, so he may turn up for the final rubber if Groth wins this.......no pressure at all!!

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Groth won the first set and it's on serve in the second, so seems like a good decision so far. Hewitt practising, so he may turn up for the final rubber if Groth wins this.......no pressure at all!!

Not surprised

·
|
15,026 Posts
I can't believe Australia didn't choose Groth on the first day.
He was the only player to take a set off Federer at Wimbledon prior to the final.
And its common knowledge that Koko is better suited to clay than grass.

·
Administrator
18,621 Posts

:p great speech, but you're wrong

1 - 20 of 31 Posts