Votes: 69 93.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sampras looks good, and He still can play great tennis today

but, He is 36

So, Will he come back at Age of 36?????????????

Vote

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
He beat a guy who was coming back from injury in an exhibition match. On top of that, I can't imagine that Haas was actually trying his hardest, as he has a real tournament to play this week.

So to answer the question, as much as I like Pete, his return to pro tennis is out of the question.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
If Sampras came back in this mug era, he would be #1 without a doubt.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
possibly the stupidest thread ever

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
He won't come back. He may have some exhibition results, but it doesn't mean he wants to be on tour.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think he should get a WC in Queens and just play that one tournament. It would be entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
:retard:

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He wont come back full time. But maybe he could take a WC at an ATP tournament here and there.
I hope to see he play, Even just one Tournament that is better than nothing

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
You cannot be serious.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Sampras looks good, and He still can play great tennis today

but, He is 36

So, Will he come back at Age of 36?????????????

Vote
No, he won't and he even said this himself:

Another feature of the San Jose tournament is that that it announces its first few night sessions months in advance, something other events could probably think about emulating. This year, the first night match was actually an exhibition, between Pete Sampras and Tommy Haas. I've been a skeptic in the burgeoning Sampras-comeback debate that's sprung up since he's begun playing the one-off matches and seniors events: after all, he's 36, has been off the tour for over five years, and was struggling to win matches in the run up to his amazing 2002 US Open win. While he might still be able to win matches against current pros on a fast surface, he'd be a dangerous floater rather than a tournament threat.
Still, he looked impressive in his 6-4, 6-2 win over Haas in San Jose on Monday night. The leaping overhead has lost a little of its height but the serve and volleys are still lose to those of yore. Comparing his potential competitiveness on tour from these exhibitions, though, is tricky because the other player isn't playing at full intensity. It was less of a surprise that Sampras defeated Haas than the win he scored over Roger Federer in one of their three Asian exhibitions in the winter, but even then, Sampras told the crowd after the match that "Tommy was pretty nice to me tonight."
Sampras is clearly taking the relevance of these contests a lot less seriously than many of those watching, particularly in terms of what they mean to the players facing him. "Tommy has more important things to do this week than worry about me. It's an opportunity for him to get used to the court. It's tough to get practice time here."
The comeback talk may continue, but his stance makes it unlikely that it'll actually happen. "There's a lot to lose and not a lot to gain," he said firmly. "There's got to be a reason to come out of retirement. Some people miss the limelight, some people want to make more money, some people don't have anything else to do in their lives. And there's no reason for me to come back.
"I don't miss the limelight, I don't need the money, I -- the tricky thing with me is that I stopped not because of injury, it was more of an emotional level. I could still play at a high level, it's just emotionally I was spent."

And with 14 Grand Slams and six year-end No. 1 finishes, he has fulfilled his main goals.
Source: http://tennisworld.typepad.com/travelblogue/2008/02/san-jose-sampra.html

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Another jcempire thread:yippee:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Sampras is great in one match but what if he had to play a grand slam over 2 weeks? I don`t think he can still handle that

·
Registered
402 Posts
I can't believe that people take seriously results from exhibitions. Apart from that there's no reason for a millionaire like Sampras to come back to the the tour only to sweat his @$$ for hours on court and destroy his reputation as 'GOAT'. We all saw what happened to Martina Hingis, I don't think it is realistic to think about a comeback

1 - 20 of 29 Posts