Mens Tennis Forums banner

Y or N?

• Y, he will be the greatest player in history in 2008!?

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • No, he will not surpass Pete in 2008!?

Votes: 19 34.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federer only requires three more slams to match Pete Samprass, and he will be playing Olympics. Will he finally make Pete Samprass look like nothing?

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
No. He will equal the slam record I think with a further two but surpassing will have to wait till '09.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You have to think that Fed's slam dominance will slow at some point. But it's hard to not see him winning two of the three off of clay. I think he has a good shot at tying the record but I feel that it may be more likely he wins one instead of three next year.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
No because in 2008 Pete Sampras will add to his GS collection.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So biased!!!

This is the scenario: Lets make the worst prediction:
2008: Wimby, USO
2009: Wimby/USO

So, at the end 0f 2009, 100% he will get at least 15 GS titles.

Will Fed Surpass Pete Sampras in 2008?? I'm saying his chance to match it is bigger than to surpass it.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,411 Posts
2 for him next year equaling Pete

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
people talk about "only" 3 titles, but you forget that 3 titles is a fucking LOT.

people stop winnign grand slams when they less expect it. I hope Federer beats the record, but it may happen that next year he only wins 1 slam and etc.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
2 titles, equalling Pete, would be a great result. Don't see him surpass Pete in 2008, but I think it's reasonable to expect him to do it in 2009.

BTW, even IF Roger surpasses Pete's # of GS titles, it will of course not make Pete look like 'nothing'. Both are great players who will always be remembered for their awesome results, whatever happens from now on.

·
Registered
548 Posts
he will have 16 by next year and have secured GOAT title for sure (although IMO he has it already) with a French, GrandSlam, superior no. of GS...etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
No because in 2008 Pete Sampras will add to his GS collection.
You killed me! :bowdown:

As much as great Rog is 1 year is too long period. Anything can happen. Leave alone sneaking into the future 2 years ahead.

I'd rather say not in 2008.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
1 Slam, more to play for in years to come :p

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
people talk about "only" 3 titles, but you forget that 3 titles is a fucking LOT.

people stop winnign grand slams when they less expect it. I hope Federer beats the record, but it may happen that next year he only wins 1 slam and etc.
:yeah:

Right now it seems impossible but if Federer loses the odd match here and there playing bad and then declines whilst others improve and before you know it he will no longer be the man to beat. Each and every grand slam is hard to win even for Federer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts