Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering.
How are you rating Rafa's fitness and "grinding" at the moment?
Will the fact that there are 3 sets to be won against him at RG help him?
Or will it just exhaust him more over the course of the tournament (losing sets left and right)?

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
If he finds himself down two sets (2-0) against a solid player from the baseline he is in trouble now. Against someone like Berdych or Isner he has a chance to turn it around. As long as people stay consistent from the baseline and their level stays up throughout BO5, he is extremely vulnerable.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It'll make it tougher for the guys like Wawrinka and Nishikori to trouble him mainly due to the intensity and insurance. Against Djokovic though I think it put Nadal at a disadvantage. Nadal is not as strong and able to win important points as much as he used to. Against Djokovic in this form if Nadal goes behind then the chances of him winning are pretty low.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
:haha: Great avi.

Well, Rafa will still be difficult to beat in RG of course, but looking at his form and results, it will still be easier to overcome him there in 2015 compared to every other year since 2005. The RG odds confirm it.

We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
it's a factor favoring him but the main difference in the French open is the different balls, with their very lively bounce : usually it would favour Nadal, not completely sure about it this year though because he's not been able to play his offensive forehand as usual this year yet and has relied a lot on a defensive game

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nadal. "Playing at night affected me. It's the worst scenario for me to play Wawrinka in this conditions."

Nadal. "Historically I have no luck with scheduling in this tournament."

excuse cheater as usual.

Reactions: JoWilly

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
No.
Rafa hasn't got that Lance armstrong like stamina longer. And his peak level is lower. And his mental edge seems lost for good.

So 5 sets is no longer playing into Rafa's hands.

But with him, and uncle Toni, you never know. He might come to Paris running like it's 2005 again.. :eek:

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
For some inexplicable reason, dull has this extra reserve energy where he could keep his stamina and strength in a long 5-setters while his opponents level decrease noticeably. So yes, dull is different in Bo5

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havn't really watched the whole of his matches lately, but from "highlights" I can't seem to figure it out.

Is it that he is "afraid to win", or "unable to win" (outplayed with playing really well himself)?

If it is the second, I feel, like maybe the 5 sets at his beloved RG could help him turn this rut around... :shrug:
If it's the first, well... then maybe then too? :unsure:

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
he's lost to Djokovic, Fognini, Clayray and Wawrinka all in straights...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well he wasn't different from the AUstralian Open than he was for the Bo3 hard court tournament. All his results on hard were below what we can expect from Nadal.
On clay, his results were slightly better than on hard but it was expected as clay is a much better surface for him than hard. How ever all his results were below what we can expect from Nadal on clay. Therefore overal, we can't say for sure that his level of play has improved and therefore his result on Bo5 on Clay should be about the same.
My prediction QF loss at the french open for Nadal this year.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
:haha: That's even better!

...but any problem cannot be found

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Nadal. "Playing at night affected me. It's the worst scenario for me to play Wawrinka in this conditions."

Nadal. "Historically I have no luck with scheduling in this tournament."

excuse cheater as usual.
He's a parody of himself. Maybe he has realised he is better at trolling than he is at tennis. He is the luckiest player in the world. Surely he must realise how pathetic he looks making excuses for getting owned? Won't change the result.

I bet he gets a cakewalk draw at RG and his usual stamina will save him in a 5 setter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts