Votes: 23 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 47.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we all know that rafa isn't having his best year so far,losing 4 times in first 2 months and not winning any titles would make it the worst start of the year for him in last 3-4 years!
now my question is,will he overcome these bad days and become the same player as he was in 2006 and first half of 2007?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I myself hope so! but seeing his recent form i doubt if he can even remain at #2 position!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
With Djokovic playing so well, and Federer being so much ahead, it's not the shame to lose number 2 position.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Eh... he's made the semifinals of the AO. Not that bad I'd say.

Last year he was on a title drought for about EIGHT months. So far this year, nothing new or disturbing.

If Nole suddenly becomes a force on clay, then yes, I agree, there is reason for worrying. But not now.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Eh, this is not the worst start for Rafa in the past 4 years but it is DEFINETELY the worst start for Federer in the past 5-6 years! Reality check, people....

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Depends how you interpret "good days."

If it is as a bigger contender for non-clay events, yes he might well do. However, if it is as a dominant player again, no I don't think so.

This issue has already been touched on, but he needs to build on his current game...being more aggressive would be a start.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say he'll try his best to improve before the clay season starts,so that he'd be a threat for IW or miami titles as well.
the only thing he needs ATM in my opinion is to win a title to get his confidence back!
you know tonight in match against andy on most important occasions he was in lack of confidence,so only thing he needs is to have something to get his confidence back!

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Tough question.

Losing to Roddick is usualy a dead-end for top players.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Nadal has never been a consistent force on hardcourts, but it seems he's always able to produce a couple of very good tournaments every year, excluding clay of course. He might do that as well this year, who knows.

Let's see how he does in IW and Miami.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Eh... he's made the semifinals of the AO. Not that bad I'd say.
Unless your name is Federer....then making the semis means you are washed up.

I think that someone posting that Rafa is washed up after reaching the semis of a slam is (therefore) a comliment...usually this honor is Fed's exclusively.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Unless your name is Federer....then making the semis means you are washed up.
Spot on.

So he's not become such thing yet? Only in 2007 he won Estoril, reached SF in Roland Garros and QF in Rome and Hamburg and he's not a force on clay?
Eh, so far he has been a reasonable player on clay. I consider someone to be a genuine force on a certain surface if that player manages to reach finals consistantly - a title that SO FAR only matched Rafa & Rogi.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Nole would be able to join their ranks this year. :cool:

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
If Nole suddenly becomes a force on clay, then yes, I agree, there is reason for worrying. But not now.
Ya but how do you mean 'suddenly becomes'? I mean, there's nothing about his game that should work any worse on clay. And look at his last year's results on clay: lost 2 times to Nadal, once to Moya in a really tight match (Moya is VERY strong mentally) and once to Ferrer. (I don't count the tank job vs. Troicki :devil:)

So he lost only to great claycourt players and it was before his SF SF F W Grand Slam appearances and the surge of confidence it generates.

To cut the story short, there's no reason to expect anything less than spectacular results from him on the dirt as well, this season - barring some unforeseen cinrcumstances.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
^^ as I already said, I wouldn't be too much surprised if Nole would be able to join the Rafa-Rogi Dominance during the upcoming Clay Season... ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts