• No

Votes: 34 81.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the goatee that lost me the match, wasn't it?

Q. What was the whole experience like, playing a Wimbledon final?

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS: It was definitely something that's gonna help me in the future. So, you know, Goran was in the final three times before he won it. So, you know, I'm never gonna give up. Obviously, I'm disappointed, but there's a lot of positive things I can take away.

And I'm definitely gonna hold that trophy up before I retire. That's for sure.

You know, I didn't know who to root for at Wimbledon this year. I wanted Scud to top his fairytale comeback and 46 ace match against nemesis Agassi with the Wimbledon title. I also wanted Federer, the hope of the New Balls who had two miserable Slam years, to win his first one there.

I'm glad Federer won, tears and all. I wish the Philippoussis could have looked less pissed off in that ceremony, the only thing I didn't like during his 2-week run. I'm glad his knee held up, hope that it will continue to hold up and that this marks just the beginning of the turnaround.

What do you think?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
nope. i don't see it. the era of the brainless big server is over. fine with me...;)

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Tennis Fool, you don't have my option as a choice - maybe. Here's some of what I wrote after the match:

"Mark played a 20th Century game. I've heard commentators say that Roger is a poor man's Sampras. I disagree. Mark's game reminds me more of Pete than Roger's. His game is to serve 2nd serves at full pace. That's Pete. That's high risk. It was one of the factors that cost Mark the first set. When he served a 70 mph second serve, he double faulted. So, I'm glad he stuck with his A serve risk and all. He also lumbers around the court ala Pete. You think they're spent, then they spring into action. The difference is that Pete could count on aces and he played the big points without flinching. Mark had a high percentage of first serves in, but, his aces went away. He had tiny chances against Federer during the second and third sets and couldn't capitalize on them. Having written all that, I think he would have increased his chances of breaking and winning if he had charged the net more often and stayed in Roger's face. I know he got passed when he did that a few times. But, I thought I saw him hesitate in his approach and I think constantly charging might have made an impression on Roger.

I think Mark needed a specific strategy to combat Roger and he didn't have one. He went with his A game and nothing else. I hope he studies tapes of the "new balls" so he can come back and blow them off of the court."

So, if he stays healthy and maintains his desire, he still has work to do before he can secure a win. I think his best chances will come at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

Tennis Fool, I didn't think he looked angry at the award ceremony. I thought he was really disappointed. I wanted Mark to win because of his incredible comeback. But, I'm very happy for Roger's breakthrough.

GBFH, what an avatar! :haha:

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
i wish he can win just one slam but i don't know if he can given the strong competition :fiery:

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
jmp said:
Tennis Fool, you don't have my option as a choice - maybe. Here's some of what I wrote after the match:

"Mark played a 20th Century game. I've heard commentators say that Roger is a poor man's Sampras. I disagree. Mark's game reminds me more of Pete than Roger's. His game is to serve 2nd serves at full pace. That's Pete. That's high risk. It was one of the factors that cost Mark the first set. When he served a 70 mph second serve, he double faulted. So, I'm glad he stuck with his A serve risk and all. He also lumbers around the court ala Pete. You think they're spent, then they spring into action. The difference is that Pete could count on aces and he played the big points without flinching. Mark had a high percentage of first serves in, but, his aces went away. He had tiny chances against Federer during the second and third sets and couldn't capitalize on them. Having written all that, I think he would have increased his chances of breaking and winning if he had charged the net more often and stayed in Roger's face. I know he got passed when he did that a few times. But, I thought I saw him hesitate in his approach and I think constantly charging might have made an impression on Roger.

I think Mark needed a specific strategy to combat Roger and he didn't have one. He went with his A game and nothing else. I hope he studies tapes of the "new balls" so he can come back and blow them off of the court."

So, if he stays healthy and maintains his desire, he still has work to do before he can secure a win. I think his best chances will come at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

Tennis Fool, I didn't think he looked angry at the award ceremony. I thought he was really disappointed. I wanted Mark to win because of his incredible comeback. But, I'm very happy for Roger's breakthrough.

GBFH, what an avatar! :haha:
Wow. You really analyzed his game. I don't think there was anything he could have done against Federer. I just think Federer is too good. I think if it had been anyone else in the Finals, he could have beaten them.

If Federer doesn't hog the next group of Slam finals, I think that Scud has a chance.

Also nice to see that he jumped 26 places and is back in the top 30.

Also nice to see that the two-man race that started this year, and turned into a five man race (Baldy, FedEx, Mosquito, Moya and Potato).

Seems like forever that Lleyton's been out of the game. When's he due to resurface?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Also nice to see that the two-man race that started this year, and turned into a five man race (Baldy, FedEx, Mosquito, Moya and Potato).
Unless Hewitt or Moya win the USO, it's a three man race, not a 5 man race. To number one, that is. No offense to Moya, but unless he does well in Toronto or defends Cincy, his ranking will take a hit this summer. His slam results aren't top 5... Roddicks are, and sooner or later the rankings are going to reflect that.

Seems like forever that Lleyton's been out of the game. When's he due to resurface?
US Open.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Yeah, this is the time of year - American hard court season - when Hewitt seems to raise his game again. I think he will post good results during the summer and reach, at least, the semifinals at the US Open (for the 4th straight year).

Btw, I wouldn't agree that Philippoussis is a poor man's Pete.

And no, I don't think Mark will win a Major. In my mind, this was his last shot and I think the chances that Mark is able to produce another two-weeks of such high quality tennis are slim. If he will ever capture a Slam, it will be at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
That picture always makes me sad! :( I desperately hope he can do but Im not too sure. I thought this year would of been his best chance, but I think he will get other chances

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
as long as he is fit every June for next 4-5 years then he's got more than a fair shot of winning Wimbledon
other than that his chances of other slams are pretty minimal.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Am I the only one who didn't get warm fuzzies watching him?! I think it's great that he came back from all his problems. He's a surfer dude too, that's so cool. He's someone I should be a fan of--typically because of what draws me to someone, but I just can't settle into him, and maybe if I had more sympathy for him or whatever, I would truly believe and want to see that he can win a Slam. But I just don't see it happening :)

And yeah, he shoulda smiled more in that trophy ceremony... Someone had to win and someone had to lose--and it wasn't you Mark. But considering everything he'd been through, why was he so scary looking! He shoulda been happy to have climbed such a mountain just to get to that final. It just shocks me that he was so depressed looking

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Mark never smiles. ever. at least not on camera. i'm not sure if the muscles in his face actually work. it's a tad creepy to see how gloomy he can seem.

nice analysis jmp. i agree that Mark's game bears more similarity to Sampras' than Federer's does. i think that the American commmentators were forcing the comparison bec it was the only way they knew how to validate Roger. so silly.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TheBoiledEgg said:
as long as he is fit every June for next 4-5 years then he's got more than a fair shot of winning Wimbledon
other than that his chances of other slams are pretty minimal.
I think he has more of a shot than Henman, but I don't know if renaming Henman Hill as Mt. Philippoussis is a good omen:eek:

I also think he could win the US Open. Aussies always do well there too, and lest we forget his first final there in 1998.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Originally posted by Mrs_Guga
Am I the only one who didn't get warm fuzzies watching him?!
His personal story is intriguing. But, I didn't get the warm fuzzies for him either. I felt the same respect for him that I felt for Costa's performance at the French this year. Here are two men without the hype. Their matches are doing all the talking. Every time each of them advanced, I marveled at their ability to beat the odds. That's the kind of drama that interests me!

EDIT TO ADD: I think there was more to his look at the ceremony than just a loss. I think he was very disappointed in how he lost. The match didn't seem close at all after the first set tie break.

Thanks for the analysis feedback Tennis Fool, Leo, and tennischick! :D

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
And yeah, he shoulda smiled more in that trophy ceremony... Someone had to win and someone had to lose--and it wasn't you Mark. But considering everything he'd been through, why was he so scary looking! He shoulda been happy to have climbed such a mountain just to get to that final. It just shocks me that he was so depressed looking
Well, who wouldn't be slightly depressed after losing a Grand Slam final? Mark says that there is no doubt in his mind that he will eventually win Wimbledon, but maybe he is only saying that and doesn't actually believe it. Maybe he thinks that this was his last opportunity to win a Major and he lost it. If that's true, then I'm not surprised he wouldn't be smiling.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts