Votes: 13 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 72.3%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Novak ends up having 5 more slams than Nadal, case is closed.
But if Novak ends career only 1 slam ahead, does Novak missing the Olympic Gold medal come into play?

Think of it like cards, the gold medal means Nadal has royal flush.
Discuss?

·
Registered
162 Posts
But if Novak ends career only 1 slam ahead, does Novak missing the Olympic Gold medal come into play?

Discuss?
Hopefully you're joking.
Nadal's gold medal doesn't make up for Novak's 5 ATP finals and 80+ weeks more as the number 1 player in the world.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully you're joking.
Nadal's gold medal doesn't make up for Novak's 5 ATP finals and 80+ weeks more as the number 1 player in the world.
Yes, but is only thing missing is the gold medal. Like Nadal is missing the tour finals.
Unless someone wins the missing piece, we cannot have unified goat.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Yes, but is only thing missing is the gold medal. Like Nadal is missing the tour finals.
Unless someone wins the missing piece, we cannot have unified goat.
There are no ranking points or money awarded for winning an Olympic Gold Medal. Also the Olympics are only played once every four years so it is not a continuous important tournament like the masters or slams. Tennis at the Olympics is nothing more than a glorified exhibition.

·
Your visions will happen
50,815 Posts
Olympics are the most important title after slams

Ask Djokovic how many WTF titles he would trade for a gold medal

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Novak, Roger, and Rafa, three goats, one era.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
my first reflex was like OP can't be serious until i noticed who actually started this garbage.
and no, olympic tennis tourney is a glorified exho and must not be considered in any GOAT debate.

Reactions: Borkob90

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my first reflex was like OP can't be serious until i noticed who actually started this garbage.
and no, olympic tennis tourney is a glorified exho and must not be considered in any GOAT debate.
Yes you are correct, players do not care about Olympics.
Funny how Novak always carries the Serbian flag during Olympic opening ceremony despite not caring jajaja

·
|
15,576 Posts
GOAT doesn't exist, and it never will, because nobody will agree on the criteria of this imaginary 'award'.
There is only the slam record.
Federer has 20, Nadal is about to have 20, and Djokovic has 17.
That is all there is in tennis.
Everything else is trivial.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
GOAT doesn't exist, and it never will, because nobody will agree on the criteria of this imaginary 'award'.
There is only the slam record.
That is all there is in tennis.
Everything else is trivial.
If you had to create the perfect player in a video game it would resemble far more Roger in terms of presence and game, than the other two. so Roger is the Goat.

·
Registered
12,580 Posts
Federer has 20, Nadal has 19, Djokovic is about to have 18.
Nadal also has 0 ATF Finals, which disqualifies him from every GOAT debate.
It's between Federer and Djokovic, but it's impossible to determine at this point.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hopefully you're joking.
This.
It would be huge for Novak to win it for Serbia. On the other hand, if not, his records outside of slams is much better than Nadals.

·
Registered
746 Posts

Discuss?
I know Novak himself cares about Olympic Gold medal a lot. I would also say that OG has increased in importance in the last 10-15 years, but before that, not so much. I would rank it (and that's just me) at about the same level as YEC.

So no, Novak does not need 5 slams more than Nadal to "overtake" him in the GOAT race. Tour finals, weeks at #1 and H2H more than make up for it. IMO, they also make up for a slam or two, so the two are already pretty much even in the GOAT race.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Would you ask Sampras the same question? Btw, how many Olympic gold medals have your GOAT pick Rod Laver?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Every top player wants to win as many Slams, masters and total titles. They want to also win the Olympic gold in singles, WTF and at least one Davis Cup. Another thing is domination, weeks at #1, YE #1s, (some rare records like most points or the biggest difference/domination over the field). Also the carer slam and CYGS (or 4 in a row). You can add Slam finals (and SFs if you wanna stretch it). Then you can add H2H against biggest rivals and miscellaneous records (most titles at an event, surface records, earnings, consecutive whatever, staying in top whatever) since every player wants as many records as possible. While I know it's easier for tards to say "this or that is irrelevant" because their player isn't good at that particular thing, every normal person should evaluate the weight of any achievements when comparing players. I mean, the biggest retards there are are people with 20>19>17 posts.

And while Olympic gold is an important part of that whole picture, it definitely isn't the defying one. If Novak has most Slams, weeks at #1, years at #1, WTFs, Masters, who the hell will say "but he did not win any Olympics golds"?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
nice attempt

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

This really depends on how patriotic you are. Ask Thiem, would he genuinely trade an olympic medal for even a 250 title? I sincerely doubt it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know it is a trolling thread aimed at Djokovic tards. If it wasn't, we would have Federer's name also in the thread title. The suggestion that the Olympic Gold is worth 5 Grand Slam titles is so ridiculous that it made me genuinely laugh. So, I will ignore it and address the always controversial debate over how important the Olympics are.

In my view, it is at the very best as important as the WTF. However, I don't agree it is an exhibition or an ATP 250. It cannot be ignored that it was contested for the first time in 1988 and in the 1990s the best players didn't really cared so much about it. Sampras is a good example here. However, in recent times due to the Big 4 caring about it, the prestige of the Olympics has increased considerably. But to me, missing the Olympics title is not as big hole in the resume as missing WTF title. The latter is contested every year and so, there are plentiful of chances to win it. Missing it in case of Nadal clearly shows his weakness on indoor hard further proven by only one masters tittle won indoors back in 2005.

Reactions: florentine

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
It will enter into the debate (already has since it has been discussed for years), but he will not "require" an Olympic Gold to be considered the GOAT if he is ahead in other key categories. Even if it was very close, Nadal having a gold medal is just one of the additional factors other than pure slam title numbers that would be compared between them, and Djokovic has other things going for him. Especially if Nadal never manages to win a WTF title that would blow a big hole in any idea of Djokovic not having "all the big titles" compared to his competition. Especially since you have a chance to win the WTF every year where as the Olympics are every 4 years (or more, in this case) so it's more "forgivable" to miss out on if you're looking for completeness across different tournaments.

Of course, if either Federer or Djokovic were to win the gold medal next year then I expect either Federer or Djokovic fans to decide that the gold medal is a prerequisite for GOAThood.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts