Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fact is, egg equipped Nole is the best player on tour right now.
Another fact is, Rafa couldn't handle this sort of Nole.
Quoting the famous Hingis phrase "What rivalry? I won all the matches" it tends that this rivalry is going to go in the same one-sided direction. Looks pretty obvious that Nole is going to catch Rafa's number of slams won.

Discussing the GOAT stuff, you guys were constantly saying that Rafa is GOATer than Fed due to their H2H. Well now, have you reconsidered that or do you still think that H2H matters?:hug:

Your thoughs?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussing the GOAT stuff, you guys were constantly saying that Rafa is GOATer than Fed due to their H2H. Well now, have you reconsidered that or do you still think that H2H matters?:hug:

that's actually a very good point...If rafa goes on to win more majors than nole but nole end up having Rafa's number in the H2H will the same Rafa fans who questioned Roger's GOAT credintails based on H2H suddenly change their measurements of what makes a GOAT?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
16:12
10:3

The gap is immense. No chance.

Next?

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
I wouldn't use the word "great" for either of them. No way Fakervic catches up to Nadull's "accomplishments" but both of their careers will be ignored anyway once certain revealing details emerge about this tennis era :tape:

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
I wouldn't use the word "great" for either of them. No way Fakervic catches up to Nadull's "accomplishments" but both of their careers will be ignored anyway once certain revealing details emerge about this tennis era :tape:
Where you find the strength and motivation from to write exactly the same thing in over 3000 posts I'll never know...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's actually a very good point...If rafa goes on to win more majors than nole but nole end up having Rafa's number in the H2H will the same Rafa fans who questioned Roger's GOAT credintails based on H2H suddenly change their measurements of what makes a GOAT?
Not a single Rafa fan answered on the subject. What does it tell us?:D

16:12
10:3

The gap is immense. No chance.

Next?
The game of tennis hasn't stopped existing.

Next?
Don't be so negative. I gather Nadull's "accomplishments" are reachable. It's not that he's achieved much anyway, right?

:facepalm: just the thread we needed.
You are welcome.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
at first glance i thought your username was Tadal. Like ta-da and Nadal, combined. I thought it was pretty good.

the problem with Djokovic reaching Nadal's accomplishments is that Nadal is still playing, and accomplishing things. Djokovic has had an utterly dominant season, and Nadal STILL won a GS (and a MS title)...so it's not as if he's going away. Unless he retires soon, it'll be extremely difficult for Djokovic to catch up to him.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
10 slams is an incredible number. It shows longevity and greatness, especially since it happened during the prime of the greatest tennis player ever. Djokovic will have fits getting to 10, but if he does then he has to be considered better than Nadal even though Rafa has the career slam just because Djokovic will have gotten to 10 in dominant form.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who has twelve slams?

Rafa = 10
Novak = 3

Where did you get twelve? :scratch:
*cry* Don't wake it up from its dream.
at first glance i thought your username was Tadal. Like ta-da and Nadal, combined. I thought it was pretty good.

the problem with Djokovic reaching Nadal's accomplishments is that Nadal is still playing, and accomplishing things. Djokovic has had an utterly dominant season, and Nadal STILL won a GS (and a MS title)...so it's not as if he's going away. Unless he retires soon, it'll be extremely difficult for Djokovic to catch up to him.
Horror. I haven't thought my nickname can be interpreted this way.:tears:

Nadal's won his GS only because Fed helped him. Rogi will retire soon (as sad as it is, but we should accept it), and then no-one will be left to avoid Rafito's spanking by Nole.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
it's just my eyesight failing me and not seeing the break in the line, which distinguishes an exclamation point from a lower-case l, haha.
I also believe that if Djokovic had beaten Federer, he would have beaten Nadal in the final...but you never know. The point is that he won it. I'm sure some people said Djokovic wouldn't have won wimbledon if it wasn''t for Tsonga ousting Federer. It's not a very productive line of reasoning. It is what it is.
we'll see, though...I mean, I think Djokovic has a chance to catch up to Nadal, but I also think it will probably take an early retirement from Nadal (not completely out of the question) and a lack of young, up and coming challengers. We shall see!

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
He already has hasn't he? He has three genuine slams, as far as we know. That beats ten slams achieved through rigged draws, surfaces tailored exactly to his game by ITF/ATP, modern day equipment that gives him more advantage than any other player and Federer choking away every single match he ever lost to Nadal. Neither will be considered great though, this is due to the unrivaled weakness of this era, which will forever put an asterix next to every single achievement in this era by every single player.*

* Except Federer

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Not a single Rafa fan answered on the subject. What does it tell us?:D
I've never claimed Rafa was the GOAT due to his H2H, even though I think a H2H with an opponent can be a good indication on how good a player is. Slams obviously dictate the GOAT debate, and rightly so. However, this can be misleading due to weak opponents. If Novak were to win 3 slams this year, I find that much more impressive than some of the slams Federer has had in his time when he had to beat guys like Roddick, Hewitt, Gonzalez and Baghdatis for his slams.

With H2H you can't hide behind things like that, it's a man vs. man thing and the better player wins. Obviously things like bad match ups can cause it to be a bit misleading. But that's no excuse for me, not a very good one at least.

And just so you know, Rafa's still 16-12 against Djokovic :shrug:

Tennis has existed longer than this year, I think Rafa's wins over Djokovic for a time period of 4 years are more impressive than Novak's domination over Rafa that has lasted 1 year so far. Novak needs to prove it wasn't just one great year and that he really has become the better player permanently.

And even if he turns it around, slam count is still more important, what's the point if you dominate one player when you can lose in the next round to a complete nobody which prevents you from slam victories? That's why Fed is the GOAT at the moment, but Rafa came close in the debate not just because of the H2H, but because he also had the achievements to back it up. And he had to beat the GOAT for most of his slam victories. Sadly Novak stopped him (for now) from really becoming the greatest.

Reactions: Luinir

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Mug outdoes Mug = Mug outdoes Mug

Nonsense thread.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Lets see, Nole needs to win at least 8 slams (at least one each from RG and USO), and he needs to win a gold medal in the Olympics. But Nadal shouldn't win anything then while Nole is at it. :wavey:

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
If he wins USO, does well in Shanghai and Paris and wins WTF Djokovic has probably the best season ever. That puts him as #1 in a important category.

Nadal is only nr2 behind Fed/Sampras in slams and weeks as nr1 and will probably never overtake them.

Who cares about becoming nr2 or nr3 all time in slams when you can have the best season of tennis ever. That is where Djokovics claim to greatness will be. That makes him greater than Nadal because you can say that Djokovic had the most impressive peak for a tennis player. Nadal has never been the greatest in anything except some clay records that pale in comparison to records like

most slams ever
most weeks as nr1
best season ever

That is where the greatness lies because it's reasonable to expect that in a few decades there will be many players with 6-10 slams somewhere because of the longer careers but only very few with a Djokovic streak or Djokovic season. Also very few will ever approach 250+ weeks as nr1 or 15+ slams. 100 weeks as nr1 and about 10 slams will be reached by many players in the coming decades

1 - 20 of 139 Posts