Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can Davydenko make a return to the top of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • On the fence

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Impossible to predict

Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after last night I think we've seen enough of Davy against the top of the game to make an accurate judgment on his future prospects and where exactly he's headed as a player. Playing someone like Djokovic really highlights a players' strengths and weaknesses.

Davydenko has a .500 record this year at 20-20. Pretty average on hard and clay, and his record outside of Doha and Munich is 11-19.

Personally, I think his movement looks shot, his serve obviously is a liability, and he doesn't time the ball as well as he used to nor is his game as imposing or sharp. He stands farther back and he doesn't get the angles he used to. And, of course, he's doesn't have nearly the machine-like consistency in hitting his shots that made him so spectacular to watch.

I think many of his issues are confidence related, but the footwork/movement/serve are not going to get better at this stage, and I don't see him being more than a 20-50 player at his peak these days. What do you all think?

·
Registered
19,319 Posts
His serve was never great, movement doesn't look too bad but his game is full of errors
I'd like to but i don't think he will ever be a top player again

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
The main problem is the movement. And it's hard to imagine him fixing it now. He's going to be that player who might pull an upset every once in a while, and who guys like Roger, RAFA :lol:, etc... will always respect.

I miss the days when he was #4 after Roger, Rafa and Nole. :hearts:

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Unfortunately he will not.

·
Registered
21,916 Posts
He already retired, he just doesn't know it yet.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I would give anything to see Davy in top form again --- praying the machine to be back again

·
Banned
260 Posts
no. the field has lapped him.

he was lucky to be in the top 10 for the time he was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts