Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Nalbandian Be Top 5 This Time Next Year?

• Yes

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 36.6%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should Nalbandian win Paris he'll be #9 in the world and have plenty of points to gain up until Madrid next year at the Masters Series and the four Grand Slams.

This time next year do you see him inside the Top 5?

Possibly a Top 5 that will look like this:

1. Roger Federer
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Novak Djokovic
4. David Nalbandian
5. Andy Murray

Hopefully he can take the good form he's shown recently and hopefully win at least one Grand Slam next year. Probably the Australian Open should he win one.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
I think he will be in the top 5 before Madrid and Paris next year but I think he won't defend his points and will drop out of the top 5 at this time next year.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
The master of the knee jerk reaction is at it again.

He might be, he might not be, with Nalbandian anything can happen.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,976 Posts
Personally, I'd love to see it happen. Nalby is an iron clad wildcard, though. You never know where he's at, at any given moment. He has to put in the consistent effort, week in and week out...that chapter has yet to be written.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I hope he will be. I don't want him in early rounds anymore :s.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I agree with George : anything can happen. Especially when you take into account that you never know if Nalby decides to play optionals and if he's knocked out in 4th rounds of slams (which is possible), he'll be vegetating between #10 and #20

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
If consistency were a word associated with Nalby, this may be a serious question. But for now, this is just a bandwagon question....

I think it would be great and make things interesting if he can keep this up. But, I seriously doubt it.

It also continues to baffle me as to why Murray is constantly put in this list.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Based on his level at the Madrid and Paris TMS he is not only a top 5 player but a serious contender for the No.1 spot. The key question will be if Nalbandian's consistency will become as good as the quality of his tennis. That's still a big question mark with Nalbandian.

·
Banned
73 Posts
I made a post in the result thread which I think would answer your question here, with a sure YES

Nalbandian has sorted out the two major problems that have restricted him from winning a slam: the lack of aggression, and the average serve that provided him with no advantage in points (well if you exclude the questionable mentality, still to be asked in a slam). He is now getting the advantage early on from his serve, and also getting a lot of free points too. Off the return he is destroying opponents, and taking control off the first return and moving players around and bossing them. He has made Federer and Nadal look like lightweights; I didn't know Nalbandian had such controlled power and ability to hit winners.

The way he is moving opponents around, and hitting the angles is breathtaking. It’s just such a pleasure to watch him. I'm just so stunned with his ability on serve, not losing a point against Nadal for a whole set is unbelievable. He was a player who could always break your serve, but then would immediately give the break away, and he was always so liable on serve.

I'm so excited for 2008 This run and level of play has got my interest back in tennis

·
Banned
73 Posts
Take a look at his best-of-5 matches statistics
His condintioning and 5 set record was always good, but at the critical stages he failed: Australian Open, US Open etc. He was having good chances against far inferior players such as Roddick and Baghdatis, but folded (mentally more than anything). Sure he was always good at 5 set matches, until he got to where it matters, which is probably where the mental side comes into a play a lot more.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
He should be at some point next year or not but if he achieves it or not is a completely different question, I would be very suprised if he was Top 5 by the end of the year though

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Yes, if injury free.

Davy, Roddick will fall by the wasteside Muzza and Nalbi will RISE

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
He should be at some point next year or not but if he achieves it or not is a completely different question, I would be very suprised if he was Top 5 by the end of the year though
You may well be very suprised ;) but trust me you wont be surprised to see him there by Roland Garros or after Wimbledon, he will certainly be there by cinci. I certainly wont be surprised to see him back where he belongs in the top five in fact top four. If Davydenko can be there the stronger is the case for David, he has just as good groundies if not better certainly the best double handed back hand on tour, the best backhand return since Agassi for sure.

I can only see Novak, Nadal and Roger having better results than him in '08 if David should remain fit and consistent. (Unfortunately for Roger a fierce nemesis has awoken once again :eek: :eek: )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts