Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Nadal stamina help him in RG?

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us face it..His level of play won't cut..But boy, his ability to buckle down for the distance is outstanding..Less than 24 hours after the Simon 3 hours and 18 minutes marathon; and after going down set and break down, he was still able to wait out Youzhny and cruise to victory...

If you are not fit Djokovic, good luck taking three sets off even this mediocre Rafa..

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
it's the only reason dull will win #9 this year. he's grinding out every opponent because of his endless stamina.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Mo Farah will get a WC and grind Rafa down.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Nole fitness is right up there with nadal. so no i don't think it would be the difference.

when was the last time nole lost a match because of fitness?

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
RG is a slam that seperates men from the boys. Being in good shape doesn't cut it, you need to be ready for war. If you aren't, you have no business winning at Roland Garros.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Only Nole has a shot. But I'd not be surprised if Rafa lost to a nobody for some reason. He remains uninspired.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
RG is a slam that seperates men from the boys. Being in good shape doesn't cut it, you need to be ready for war. If you aren't, you have no business winning at Roland Garros.
Which means 4/5 hours slugfests where basically it is all about guts/legs..Nadal has an advantage there, methinks..I don't think he will suddenly find his 2008/2010/2012 Clay form, but he can outlast these gimps bar Djokovic of course..

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Which means 4/5 hours slugfests where basically it is all about guts/legs..Nadal has an advantage there, methinks..I don't think he will suddenly find his 2008/2010/2012 Clay form, but he can outlast theses gimps bar Djokovic of course..
He doesn't need to find 08/12 form (and 10 to lesser extent). Any of the other years bar 09 will be more than enough.

Even what he's showing now is close to being good enough. His performance from 6-7 0-2 on was actually pretty good, let's hope he can keep that.

Also keep in mind how godawful the conditions were today, I think both played reasonably well when you take the hurricane into account.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
I'm all for acknowledging these things, but it's a bit strange to openly brag about it :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Marathondal? -- if that's all he has, he won't lift the trophy at the end. The question is can he find the timing on his steady and heavy groundstrokes in time.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm all for acknowledging these things, but it's a bit strange to openly brag about it :lol:
I know where you're going at..I will let it slide..15/16 year-old Rafa was already a freak of nature..It is not like one has to goose that body :shrug: and then brag about it...End of Discussion...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You can't win a Slam just on your stamina.

Unless he suddenly picks up his game (very unlikely), or his rivals choke, he'll lose it this time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts