Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He's 28 now and considering how much physical his game is it is amazing he is still running around like a rabbit and still racking slams at this late age. It is especially more astounding when you consider that he started winning slams at only 19 (just a few weeks after he turned 18) and has racked so many miles in his body. In ccomparison federer turned 28 in Aug 2009 and he only won 2 slams after and his decline was VERY apparent, moreso than Rafa's. And this is taking into account that Federer's game is nowhere near as physical as Rafa's and Federer won his first slam a month from turning 22.

Yes Rafa has declined from his 08-11 days but it's not as apparent as other greats at 28 like Federer or Sampras whose declines were very clear to see, in comparison Rafa has declined slighty as he is still very fast and physically able to handle a lot, just slightly less than in his prime.

To me this is weird as a few years back people thought that, due to his very physical game and knee problem, he'd be a spent force by 27, but he is still going VERY strong for a 28 year with such a physically demanding game with knees problems.

So why hasn't Nadal declined as fast as the other greats like Federer, Sampras or Borg who at his age were very clearly spent forces despite having a game which is 1000x times more physical with a knee problem? It still seems like Rafa can go on for a few years winning slams consistently or certainly remaining very competitive. Is he just a freak of nature who will never decline? He still is fast as a rabbit on court, the loss in speed is barely noticeable and his stamina is just as good as in his prime yet this was not the case with Federer at 28 with a far less physically demanding game.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
He will, age is the one opponent he will not beat. He has already declined, but the rest of the field just can't cope with him in a best of five due to his sheer will to win. Another point to make is that Nadal does not have too many distractions outside tennis. Having kids does take its toll.

·
Registered
480 Posts
He's 28 now and considering how much physical his game is it is amazing he is still running around like a rabbit and still racking slams at this late age. It is especially more astounding when you consider that he started winning slams at only 19 (just a few weeks after he turned 18) and has racked so many miles in his body. In ccomparison federer turned 28 in Aug 2009 and he only won 2 slams after and his decline was VERY apparent, moreso than Rafa's. And this is taking into account that Federer's game is nowhere near as physical as Rafa's and Federer won his first slam a month from turning 22.

Yes Rafa has declined from his 08-11 days but it's not as apparent as other greats at 28 like Federer or Sampras whose declines were very clear to see, in comparison Rafa has declined slighty as he is still very fast and physically able to handle a lot, just slightly less than in his prime.

To me this is weird as a few years back people thought that, due to his very physical game and knee problem, he'd be a spent force by 27, but he is still going VERY strong for a 28 year with such a physically demanding game with knees problems.

So why hasn't Nadal declined as fast as the other greats like Federer, Sampras or Borg who at his age were very clearly spent forces despite having a game which is 1000x times more physical with a knee problem? It still seems like Rafa can go on for a few years winning slams consistently or certainly remaining very competitive. Is he just a freak of nature who will never decline? He still is fast as a rabbit on court, the loss in speed is barely noticeable and his stamina is just as good as in his prime yet this was not the case with Federer at 28 with a far less physically demanding game.
Well for one not everyone thought he would be a spent force by 27. At least I didn't. I considered a lot of those people haters.

Also Fed hadn't declined that most by 2009. At his best he was still better than everyone except Nadal. Now Sampras was a different case. He really started to decline. But I'm not sure how much of it was physically. I think a lot of it in Sampras case was a lack of desire. The same with Borg.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Dull will peak when he is 32 like Ferrer. Then he will have a slow decline when he is in his late 30s, but still win RG until he is about 45.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I actually think Federer is very comparable so far, I mean he won 2 slams in 2009 when he was 28 I believe. so don't get ahead of yourself.

Nadal clearly is not QUITE as fast as his younger days and arguably at moments struggles with pain in his body and things.

he probably is less powerful too, just maybe he is as mentally strong as ever

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Ferrer's 32 and only now he shows signs of decline. Nadal won't slow down any time soon. It would take another group of players to slow him down.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Him not able to play year round/ his extended injury breaks turn out to be biggest advantage for his longevity.

He can keep up with his clay dominance till 30, but I think his decline will be more obvious on hard courts.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Him not able to play year round/ his extended injury breaks turn out to be biggest advantage for his longevity.

He can keep up with his clay dominance till 30, but I think his decline will be more obvious on hard courts.

Like the 2013 summer hardcourt season ?

He played VERY poorly in Canada, Cincinnati, and the USO, right ?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

I doubt it. But younger generation may catch up with him faster on hardcourts.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Dull will peak when he is 32 like Ferrer. Then he will have a slow decline when he is in his late 30s, but still win RG until he is about 45.
45 is a stretch but he can be a strong contender till 35 at RG imo. It is a slim possibility but Nadal could end up with 14 wins at RG - the same as Sampras' wins at all slams put together.

·
Registered
26,785 Posts
Fedtards have no concept of moderation :help: It's either wheelchair or no decline for Rafa. How about "he will slowly decline"? As he did actually-- lost Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome this year! Isn't it enough for a decline?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
We'll ... Not hard to explain why he is not :)

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
Do go on.
Don't mind Sheepie, he is running and typing at the moment even though it is midnight where he lives. What dedication, what commitment :worship:

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
I'm done making Nadal predictions TBH. Everytime I think he is done, he wins another slam.

Actually, on that thought, maybe I will keep making Nadal predictions :D

1 - 20 of 99 Posts