Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Nadal drop a set at Roland Garros 2020? If so, which round will it happen?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
|
15,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Nadal drop a set at Roland Garros 2020?
If so, which round will it happen?
ost.jpg

From what I've seen nobody in this draw is good enough to take 2 sets from Nadal, but maybe someone will take a set?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
No he wont. He will win the tournament and given that Thiem averages less than 2,63 games per set against eventual RG winner - Djokovic is the only player who might do it.

But I have Nadal beating Djokovic 3-0.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Xirca could take one...but only after the tournament

·
Banned
1,809 Posts
All Nadal/Thiem/Djokovic will loose sets if they will play against each other, i dont think between them there is much difference, but of course Rafa has the edge.

·
|
15,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nadal-Thiem have played 13 sets at Roland Garros.
Nadal won 12 of them.
Djokovic took a set from Nadal at Rome last year, but the score was 60 46 61, so the most lopsided match they've ever played of those with a deciding set, and the first bagel ever.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nadal-Thiem have played 13 sets at Roland Garros.
Nadal won 12 of them.
Djokovic took a set from Nadal at Rome...
I feel that Thiem will be more dangerous in the coming years with the GS monkey off his back. Nole has a good 2020 and has an edge in these conditions. Also, at some point, father time will start knocking. It's only natural for the king to lose a set or two eventually. Nothing to be too sad about. Nobody can take away or match what he has achieved at RG. Part of me is rooting for Thiem, another part wants to see 100:2

·
|
15,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel that Thiem will be more dangerous in the coming years with the GS monkey off his back. Nole has a good 2020 and has an edge in these conditions. Also, at some point, father time will start knocking. It's only natural for the king to lose a set or two eventually. Nothing to be too sad about. Nobody can take away or match what he has achieved at RG. Part of me is rooting for Thiem, another part wants to see 100:2
The problem with trying to predict fathertime, is that we have nobody to compare Nadal to.
He's a 34-year-old with 12 French Open titles, and he's won the last 3, and he's killing his biggest rival (Thiem) every time they meet at Roland Garros.
Fathertime may be a few years away.
Whereas Djokovic was down 2-sets-to-1 vs. Thiem at the AO Final, so he'll probably never win the AO ever again now that Thiem has confidence to finish-off Djokovic at the AO.
Nadal is in the opposite situation, completely superior at Roland Garros, an excellent chance to have 14 French Open titles by June next year.

·
Registered
412 Posts
He will drop maybe one set in the SF if Diego/Thiem has some steam left after their battle. Then he will mosy likely lose to Nole as Djokovic will be coming from an easier SF and will be more fresh.

·
|
15,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He will drop maybe one set in the SF if Diego/Thiem has some steam left after their battle. Then he will mosy likely lose to Nole as Djokovic will be coming from an easier SF and will be more fresh.
Nadal has never needed to be fresh to beat Djokovic.
Nadal's hands were cramping so bad in 2014, he couldn't even hold the trophy properly.....
Djokovic simply isn't good enough, unless Nadal is the 2015 version that lost in straight sets to Wawrinka and Murray on clay....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
He has a better chance to win the title without dropping a set than losing, thats clear to me. Still, I think if he plays theim\djokovic he will lose at least a set. But I don't think they can take more than 1 each, djokovic more likely to trouble nadal. If nadal plays subpar he can struggle with Sinner too, although I doubt it will happen.

Reactions: NADALalot

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
The average ranking of Nadal's opponents from R1-R4 is 152. Playing Sinner and his 75 ranking will help bring that number down, at least.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
He has a better chance to win the title without dropping a set than losing, thats clear to me. Still, I think if he plays theim\djokovic he will lose at least a set. But I don't think they can take more than 1 each, djokovic more likely to trouble nadal. If nadal plays subpar he can struggle with Sinner too, although I doubt it will happen.
There is a drastic difference in levels between Novak and Nadal currently. Also, Novak's forehand has never been better or more powerful, and the conditions will completely favor Novak and hurt Nadal. If Nadal wins even one set, I'll be surprised.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
will drop no sets so the goat debate could be sealed instantly

·
Registered
878 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts