Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Murray ever reach a Grand Slam final again?

• No he won't

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Yes he will

Votes: 82 90.1%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think right now Murray's role in the sport of tennis is to tire out whoever he's playing for the final by giving his opponent an epic semifinal which Murray will always lose.

Not just in Grand Slams, but in Masters as well. Epic encounters at the 2011 Rome against Djokovic, 2010 WTF against Nadal, and the 2012 Australian Open against Djokovic all spring to mind. Murray universally loses these epic matches against top 3 opponents and makes those opponents tired for the final (though Djokovic has proven that even fatigued he can beat Nadal).

In Masters the situation is different because it's best of 3.

But in Grand Slams, I just can't see Murray ever reaching a final again. He may have some tight semifinals, but I think he will lose every single one. In the majority of cases his opponent will go on to lose in the final.

What do you think?

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
the great highlander is going to make it in the big leagues. sooner or later he will get his slam. it will be on hard courts.

he will just have to wait until nadal`s and nole`s levels drop. there is not other way. and Fed needs to be out of his way also.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Yes he will.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
This guy is such a troll. He made a final last year, and has been in competitive semis since- why on earth couldn't he make another final?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I think right now Murray's role in the sport of tennis is to tire out whoever he's playing for the final by giving his opponent an epic semifinal which Murray will always lose.

Not just in Grand Slams, but in Masters as well. Epic encounters at the 2011 Rome against Djokovic, 2010 WTF against Nadal, and the 2012 Australian Open against Djokovic all spring to mind. Murray universally loses these epic matches against top 3 opponents and makes those opponents tired for the final (though Djokovic has proven that even fatigued he can beat Nadal).

In Masters the situation is different because it's best of 3.

But in Grand Slams, I just can't see Murray ever reaching a final again. He may have some tight semifinals, but I think he will lose every single one. In the majority of cases his opponent will go on to lose in the final.

What do you think?
He's got more chance to reach another slam final than you ever will you muppet.

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
He will more than likely reach Slam final(s) again.

As long as he can continue to challenge for the SF, he will be giving himself an excellent chance. Nadal and Djokovic are currently dominating, but one/both of them will blink at some point. Federer is still capable of capitalising, but obviously time isn't on his side anymore.

If Murray continues to maintain a superior level of physical fitness, and keeps his game running as smoothly as possible, he will earn enough chances over the next couple of years.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if he stays healthy there's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't. He was very, very close to beating Djokovic a tthe AO (though to be honest I think he would have lost to Nadal in the final)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Keep in mind what happened to get Murray to those two AO finals - Nadal was injured in their match in 2010 then faced Cilic in the semis, then Rafa had an injury-affected loss to Ferrer the round before in 2011. While it seems that Rafa and Novak get to the semis every major, at least with Rafa it's not a given in the hard court majors.

Andy's odds of getting to another final are definitely better than anyone ranked lower than him.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
He will, but he won't win one...

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Keep in mind what happened to get Murray to those two AO finals - Nadal was injured in their match in 2010 then faced Cilic in the semis, then Rafa had an injury-affected loss to Ferrer the round before in 2011. While it seems that Rafa and Novak get to the semis every major, at least with Rafa it's not a given in the hard court majors.

Andy's odds of getting to another final are definitely better than anyone ranked lower than him.
Why do people insist on rewriting history? Nadal was already 2 sets down when he got injured. He was on course to be straight-setted when the injury occurred.

And as far as 2011 goes, Murray has beaten Nadal at HC majors before, so it's silly to assume that Nadal's injuries are the only thing getting Murray to these finals.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts

Nonsense thread.
I don't see a reason why he wouldn't. And also win a slam which he deserves by now. Yes, Djoko-Nadal-Fed are on his way this year but you have to take a "long view" in tennis - just like in life. :)

Reactions: Sunset of Age

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Of course he will! Stupid thread... The probability of him reaching a slam final, it's the same of him don't win a GS ever in his life. About 99,9%

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Pretty bad if he doesn't :facepalm:.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts