Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
He W/L record at RG and the clay M100s is 5-11. Nine of those losses were in R1.

He is 0-8 at RG, Rome and Madrid.

He needs some serious improvement to pick up any real points at these events.
Without the pandemic ranking I’d agree, however he really only needs minor improvements to snag a week or 2, especially if Djokovic skips Miami. Remember, Medvedev still has Miami and Rotterdam potentially to gain points.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Didn’t know that.
Me neither, but I know now what the problem was in the statement I made, I had to say Marcelo Rios was the only male slamless #1, than it would've been a fact

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Pretty likely indeed, and you should include Wimbledon also, where Med has a great chance too to outperform Djoko in terms of net points to gain. But if he can't get it done until then, his chance will significantly decrease and Thiem might have a good chance to get to #1 right before the USO.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The leftist crooks at the ATP will find a way to manipulate the points so that Nadal somehow gets to #1, regardless of results.

Kind of like their counterparts at the WTA have kept Barty and Andreescu up there for like two and a half years without having played a match, for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Becoming #1 while don't holding at least one slam is a feat in men's tennis that's only been done by Marcello Rios. Also I don't understand how you calculated this.
Lendl was also slam-less when he became number 1 for the first time. Of course, he won Slams later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well there’s also the Wimbledon points. I think it’s quite likely Medvedev snatches it for a few weeks after Wimbledon then loses it quickly after. Medvedev’s post Wimbledon points are pretty crazy because of the two year ranking.
And this is the reason Novak has big chance to finish as N1 also this season. Yeah, he defends a lot in the first part of the season, but very little in the last part. He just needs to consistently make SF/F and he should be fine.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Do Rome and RG points drop in Sept and October, respectively?
Or in May/June?

Reactions: mcekovic

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
Me neither, but I know now what the problem was in the statement I made, I had to say Marcelo Rios was the only male slamless #1, than it would've been a fact
There are other cases where this was close to happen, Federer was close from No. 1 in 2014 being slamless, also Nole was close that year to achieve this, if he would have lost in Wimbledon, he would have been just like 300 points behind Rafa, and Rafa was defending Canada, Cinci and US Open.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
There are other cases where this was close to happen, Federer was close from No. 1 in 2014 being slamless, also Nole was close that year to achieve this, if he would have lost in Wimbledon, he would have been just like 300 points behind Rafa, and Rafa was defending Canada, Cinci and US Open.
Yeah, but they were both slamwinners already, Marcelo Rios has been number one but never won a slam in his career.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Spring time
And this is the main reason why Novak's no.1 position is in trouble. I mean those points from Rome and RG will be counted only for half a year, while most of Daniil's points will stay for 2 years. ATP did a bad job with new rating system. I mean they had to keep those points for a FULL YEAR like for every other tournament. So for example the best way is for now to count best points from RG 2019 and RG 2020 season, and after RG 2021 to count best points from RG 2020 and RG 2021 until October, and then only points from RG 2021. Is this that hard? I have nothing against Daniil being no. 1 player in the world, but he has to earn it fair way, not by some luck with ranking system.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Spring time
Points drop exactly 52 weeks after tournament is completed (under 1 year ranking rule) regardless when tournaments are held the season after, or 104 weeks after tournament is completed (under current 2 year ranking rule that will soon end).
So Rome 2020 points are dropped on 20.09.2021.

Source: ATP Open Era & Live Rankings
(points held on 23.08.2021)

So Novak's Cincinnati points will drop before his Rome points.
Points diff is some 1900+ points between Novak and Medvedev on 23.08.2021, so pretty solid gap, but given that there will be hopefully 2 more GSs and 4 masters in 2021 before we reach that point (i.e. 8000+ points available), anything is of course possible.

·
Your visions will happen
50,118 Posts
Points drop exactly 52 weeks after tournament is completed (under 1 year ranking rule) regardless when tournaments are held the season after, or 104 weeks after tournament is completed (under current 2 year ranking rule that will soon end).
So Rome 2020 points are dropped on 20.09.2021.

Source: ATP Open Era & Live Rankings
(points held on 23.08.2021)

So Novak's Cincinnati points will drop before his Rome points.
Points diff is some 1900+ points between Novak and Medvedev on 23.08.2021, so pretty solid gap, but given that there will be hopefully 2 more GSs and 4 masters in 2021 before we reach that point (i.e. 8000+ points available), anything is of course possible.
Not according to this

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ah, then one source is wrong, I am really curious which one?
Given the quality of the ATP website stats and given the reputation of the openerarankings.com, I would say its openerarankings.com that is correct, we'll see.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
@mcekovic @Johnny Groove

I think @Slasher1985 needs to fix this error, since only Djokovic's point on OER show drop date Sept/Oct, for Medvedev, Nadal and all the rest it's May/June.

But it is really odd to see points gone in 6 months, while others kept them for 2 years. Good thing Nadal won them both, else we'd have this unfair scenario as in WTA:

Iga Swiatek wins FO Oct 2020 -> points drop off May 2021
Ash Barty wins FO May/June 2019 -> points drop off May 2021

·
Your visions will happen
50,118 Posts
Ah, then one source is wrong, I am really curious which one?
Given the quality of the ATP website stats and given the reputation of the openerarankings.com, I would say its openerarankings.com that is correct, we'll see.
Yes the OER situation would be more fair but we will see

@mcekovic @Johnny Groove

I think @Slasher1985 needs to fix this error, since only Djokovic's point on OER show drop date Sept/Oct, for Medvedev, Nadal and all the rest it's May/June.

But it is really odd to see points gone in 6 months, while others kept them for 2 years. Good thing Nadal won them both, else we'd have this unfair scenario as in WTA:

Iga Swiatek wins FO Oct 2020 -> points drop off May 2021
Ash Barty wins FO May/June 2019 -> points drop off May 2021
Yes, very unfair, we will see what ATP ends up doing

21 - 40 of 69 Posts