Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Djokovic’s injury and him defending 3200 pts in the clay season, I think it’s going to happen.

Do you agree?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It is not entirely clear yet to me which points will actually drop off at what time. Anyone has full information on this? But yes, if Djokovic has to defend 3200 points and Medvedev virtually nothing until RG, then, provided that he manages to have good results on clay, Medvedev is a contender for no 1 even without a slam title.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
With Djokovic’s injury and him defending 3200 pts in the clay season, I think it’s going to happen.

Do you agree?
Becoming #1 while don't holding at least one slam is a feat in men's tennis that's only been done by Marcello Rios. Also I don't understand how you calculated this.

Reactions: Notax

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Becoming #1 while don't holding at least one slam is a feat in men's tennis that's only been done by Marcello Rios. Also I don't understand how you calculated this.
There was yet another (the Terrible) fella 15 years earlier.

There could be a transition period with several new no.1's if injuries were to sideline Big2 from the better part of the season.

Medvedev and Thiem are pretty close to become the new no.2 ever since Big4 (Fedalovicray) appropriated those two top positions in 2005.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
He's completely and utterly useless on any other surface than hard court so his chances of lifting a major are literally halved every year.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because of the two year ranking system Djokovic Defends: 1000 pts at Rome and Madrid and 1200 at RG, in addition to 2000 at Wimbledon. Medvedev has almost nothing to defend during that period.

It would be weird considering how clearly Djokovic just proved his superiority, but it’s certainly possible.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not entirely clear yet to me which points will actually drop off at what time. Anyone has full information on this? But yes, if Djokovic has to defend 3200 points and Medvedev virtually nothing until RG, then, provided that he manages to have good results on clay, Medvedev is a contender for no 1 even without a slam title.
Indeed. He would have to snatch it by the end of wimbledon, but very possible. My understanding is points start dropping in March, however I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Undoubtedly Medvedev has benefited the most from anyone from the new ranking system. 2019 he performed well at Canada, Cinci, US Open & Shanghai but badly at Paris & WTF. He then flipped this totally in 2020, performing his best at Paris & WTF.

Djokovic has already talked about reducing his schedule, maybe only playing Monte Carlo & Rome before RG; Medvedev will have plenty of chances to be number 1, before all those points start to drop off.

Reactions: Apophis and MWW

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Because of the two year ranking system Djokovic Defends: 1000 pts at Rome and Madrid and 1200 at RG, in addition to 2000 at Wimbledon. Medvedev has almost nothing to defend during that period.

It would be weird considering how clearly Djokovic just proved his superiority, but it’s certainly possible.
So Djokovic needs to tie Medvedev's results at those tournaments or do better, right to remain #1? Well then theoretically it's possible but the chances aren't high.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
He W/L record at RG and the clay M100s is 5-11. Nine of those losses were in R1.

He is 0-8 at RG, Rome and Madrid.

He needs some serious improvement to pick up any real points at these events.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So Djokovic needs to tie Medvedev's results at those tournaments or do better, right to remain #1? Well then theoretically it's possible but the chances aren't high.
Well there’s also the Wimbledon points. I think it’s quite likely Medvedev snatches it for a few weeks after Wimbledon then loses it quickly after. Medvedev’s post Wimbledon points are pretty crazy because of the two year ranking.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts