Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Kei Nishikori be the 1st Asian player to take Master Series title in single?He is the Asian player who reached Semi final in Master series in single after the last asian player could do it since year 2005 at Indian well tournament.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Maybe at some other masters. There haven't been any decent Asian male players since Paradorn, so I guess if anyone would do it, would be Kei. Here though- doubtful.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Would certainly be good for the game. Kei is a much more talented player than Mugray and he's ready for his first masters 1000 title.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Agreed. He does play better tennis than Mugray. The question is, can he break through and do it? (I hope so).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Would certainly be good for the game. Kei is a much more talented player than Mugray and he's ready for his first masters 1000 title.
first time ive seen u say something good about another player other than nadal lol

but yeh theres a few good ones coming up in yang (19 or 20 i think he is) and taro daniel and i dont really think ito,soeda or sugita will win a masters (maybe a 250 or a weak 500)

so yeh it all up to kei

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why is Chang getting the short end of the stick, even for him. Is it because he was born in the USA

Nishikori i think will make a QF or SF at a slam

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Kei is smart enough to get Brad Gilbert as his coach. I hope he can put trust and faith in Gilbert. He's a great coach. And under his tutelage he can help Kei increase his chances of breaking through.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Definately. Kei will also be a slam contender soon enough.

Unlikely to grab the title in Shanghai, but he'll win a Masters soon, has to win a few 250s and 500s first though.

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Maybe but don't know when :shrug:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
If he's a pigeon to Tipsarevic, then the signs are worrying :scared:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Not to make excuses for the lad, but with all his injury issues (this seems to be the longest time he's gone without a niggle of some sort) his past results and H2H's should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The question isn't ability, he has it in abundance, it's about his body.. will it hold up over an entire week. His physicality, stamina and conditioning are obvious concerns.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
If not this time, he will have chances aplenty in his career. ;)
Injuries and other physical problems are always a concern, but regarding stamina he's OK as long as he's not seriously hurt or sick. He's a tough customer when it comes to a long match, like the nearly 4-hour battle over Cilic in USO last year. His winning percentage in the decider (3rd or 5th set) is over 70%, not bad for a guy his age.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
We will see, I'm not so sure about that

Taro Daniel (1993) is doing some great work in Spain, he can also be good Asian player.. few other young players too

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
not playing like he did just now... heartless tennis... very disappointing

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Why is Chang getting the short end of the stick, even for him. Is it because he was born in the USA

Nishikori i think will make a QF or SF at a slam
:confused: Chang was an American, through and through.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We will see, I'm not so sure about that

Taro Daniel (1993) is doing some great work in Spain, he can also be good Asian player.. few other young players too
yep i think he could be a future top 20 player,dunno if he will be better than kei though

1 - 20 of 26 Posts