Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Members,

I am also sad to know Hingis to lose in the first round. Remember the thread "who will end the year ranked No.10 this year?" that I posted in the WTAworld a while ago, most of the members said that it is a race between Davenport and Hantuchova...and this was also what I thought at that time...

But now...I really hope Hingis will bounce back...I checked the WTAtour website, and found out that Hingis has still not consolidated her position in the top 10....

It seems that S. Williams, V. Williams, Capriati, Mauresmo, Henin will be the top 5 next week, followed by Seles. Clijsters and Hantuchova seem to be strong indoor, while Dokic and Hingis are now really struggling. If Davenport shows excellent results in the next few weeks, it won't be a miracle if she ends the year in the top 10.

So, who will drop out of the top 10 by the end of the year? Hingis, Dokic, Clijsters, Hantuchova (I should say if she could move into the top 10) or Davenport?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somehow I think Hingis has the potential to serve and volley, like Nathalie Tauziat. Tauziat does not have a huge serve, but her game made her moved up the rankings in her final years on the tour.

Hingis, if she keeps staying in the baseline all the time, will end up in more trouble next year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dokic reallt Struggling?

Dokic last 3 events results:

Brasil Open Hard 1 Bye
2 Myriam Casanova W 7-6, 6-4
QF Amanda Coetzer W 6-2, 7-5
SF Anastasia Myskina L 2-6, 4-6
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Princess Cup Hard 1 Bye
2 Lina Krasnoroutskaya W 6-2, 7-6
QF Tamarine Tanasugarn W 6-3, 6-1
SF Kim Clijsters L 7-5, 2-6, 3-6
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sparkassen Cup Carpet 1 Bye
2 Meghann Shaughnessy L 2-6, 4-6

Hingis`s last 3 results
Rogers AT&T Cup Hard 1 Bye
2 Magui Serna W 6-4, 6-3
3 Clarisa Fernandez W 6-4, 6-2
QF Jelena Dokic L 4-6, 3-6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pilot Pen Tennis Hard 1 Anna Smashnova W 6-4, 6-4
2 Alexandra Stevenson W 7-5, 6-4
QF Anastasia Myskina L 7-6, 4-6, 0-6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. Open Hard 1 Marissa Irvin W 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
2 Antonella Serra Zanetti W 6-4, 6-1
3 Amanda Coetzer W 6-3, 6-4
4 Monica Seles L 4-6, 2-6

Well 2 semifinal rounds not too shadow + we have to consider this summer she has had wins over Capriati, Myskina and even Hingis :eek: anyway Hingis is the one who should be a lot more worried, she has not played well lately she has not had any easy win on her matches, recalling a 6-4 6-1 over An. Serra, a player she would have routed her with more ease before. And not even taking a set over a rusty Seles at the Open really shows a sign, something is really wrong, i think Martina Indoor will be really bad for her.

The reason i posted i because i am hating the ones who keep comparing Hingis to Dokic, if we judge from the early year results Hingis has been a better player, but that is the past, and right now we have to accept Dokic is playing better than Martina. Its Up to Martina to change that. I hope :wavey:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lindsay's defending the house for the rest of the year.
Won Filderstadt, won Linz, won Zurich finals Tour Champs.
1564 points.

Here are ranks 8 - 22 (I dropped Sandrine Testud.)

Code:
08 2680 Davenport
09 2614 Clijsters
10 2514 Hingis
11 2424 Hantuchova 
12 2003 Myskina
13 1733 Rubin
14 1722 Farina Elia 
15 1503 Dementieva 
16 1353 Schnyder
17 1348 Smashnova 
18 1254 Sugiyama
19 1222 Panova
20 1214 Daniilidou
21 1197 Raymond
22 1192 Maleeva
Now we remove everybody's points for
the rest of the year, and re-order them.
Code:
08 2312 = 2514 -  202 Hingis
09 2249 = 2424 -  175 Hantuchova 
10 2150 = 2614 -  464 Clijsters
11 1813 = 2003 -  190 Myskina
12 1525 = 1733 -  208 Rubin
13 1460 = 1722 -  262 Farina Elia 
14 1165 = 1353 -  188 Schnyder
15 1179 = 1254 -  175 Sugiyama
16 1173 = 1214 -   41 Daniilidou
17 1117 = 1503 -  386 Dementieva 
[color=red]18 1116 = 2680 - 1564 Davenport[/color]
19 1348 = 1348 -    0 Smashnova 
20 1000 = 1197 -  197 Raymond
21  905 = 1192 -  287 Maleeva
22  887 = 1222 -  335 Panova
Of course Lindsay will earn more points than anyone else listed.
But she's 1034 points behind Kim Clijsters for year-end #10.
And Venus and Serena are both playing this fall, which they didn't last year.

The upside for Lindsay is that in 2003, she defends nothing until after Wimbledon. And she only has NINE tournaments. So Lindsay will be back this time next year. Either Clijsters, Hingis or Hantuchova is going to drop back out of the top ten. But at the end of THIS year, Lindsay will not be in the top ten.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
another serious thought

Los Angeles seeds will be done by the Top 8 players in the year
Lindsay will NOT be one of them
so which poor girl will draw Lindsay in 1st rd and go home early ??

·
Registered
71 Posts
petosp - Don't compare Jelena to Martina. Compare Jelena to HERSELF.
In 2001, Jelena was the 2nd best player on the tour after the US Open.
In 2002, not so.

Code:
[u]2002[/u]

Bahia        SF   MYSKINA          2-6 4-6   
Tokyo        SF   CLIJSTERS        7-5 2-6 3-6   
Leipzig      16   SHAUGHNESSY      2-6 4-6   

[u]2001[/u]
Bahia        FR   SELES            3-6 3-6   
Tokyo        WON  SANCHEZ-VICARIO  6-4 6-2   
Leipzig      16   HANTUCHOVA       6-4 6-7 0-6   

Moscow       WON  DEMENTIEVA       6-3 6-3   
Zurich       FR   DAVENPORT        3-6 1-6   
Linz         FR   DAVENPORT        4-6 1-6   
Tour Champs  QF   DAVENPORT        4-6 2-6
Two semis looks good til you compare it to a final and a win.
Dokic is DEFINITELY struggling, when measured against the truest standard.
Herself.

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
no, she won't ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
TheBoiledEgg - Lindsay stillhas 3 or 4 events she can use her remaining pre-emptory challenges an injury-protected ranking.

Can she use this for the tour champs? If so, she'd be seeded. #3, actually.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hingis needs to kick up the butt. Shes my 3rd fave so i really hope she improves at the moment - Not likely

Dani is jump into the top 10 :bounce: :bounce:

But in 2003 they will both be :D :D :D: D: D :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry if my poor English misled members. I don't mean to compare Hingis with Dokic. What I mean is that Dokic is NOW struggling, compared with the same time last year (i.e. what Volcana means).

I could see Clijsters and Hantuchova posting some "normal" and decent results in the next 4 weeks, so I am optimistic they will be ranked in the top 10.

Dokic....I remember people criticizing that lots of players ranked below her also play 30 tournaments per year, but we have to see that those players always those early in the tournaments, so playing 30 tournaments per year seem to be "reasonable" and less exhaustive.

But Dokic, a good top 10 player, always reaches the later stages of the tournaments, so playing more than 25 tournaments per year will really cost her a chance (physically and mentally) in the GS.

Davenport....if she wins in Moscow this week, then it won't be a miracle if she really ends the year ranked No.10

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
another thread about martina Hingis.

Woww, you guys love Hingis, don't you??? :D ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah i mean if you compare year to year the results you are right. But i´m just talking about today, the present. I don´t care who finishes number 8,9,10, etc, i care more about how Hingis is playing at the moment :sad:

PD. On Davenport´s case: A player who spend 8 moths out, coming back and playing just great and losing to good players like, Kim, Venus (3 times), Serena and CHanda she is lucky to make the masters, no matter how she does there, getting there its a luxury missing 3 slams :eek:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Daniela is now really close from Martina. Hingis with this early lost is still in top 10, it will depend next week how Daniela plays. She has points to defend in Filderstad.

But I think Anastasia and Daniela are going to break through this season.

·
Registered
297 Posts
if she doesn't play better this fall then she might fall bad in the first month of januar next year :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
If Hingis falls out it will only be temporarily. Davenport, IMO, will not be able to defend ALL her points from last year. Three titles and the finals at the year end Championship. Why else do you think she entered Moscow? She's trying to get as many points as she can form as many tournaments b/c she knows that with any slip ups she'll be out of the top 10. But Lindsay lacks the stamina to play 4 straight weeks and defend all her points and then take a week of before the championship. I'm predicting it first.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Year-End Rankings-Why

1. Serena- She's Unstopable
2. Venus- She's Unstopable...until the final
3. Jennifer Capriati- Too Far Ahead
4. Monica Seles-No pts to defend at Year-End Champs
5. Amelie Mauresmo- Great Year
6. Justine Henin- So so year
7. Jelena Dokic- Will collapse
8. Kim Clijsters- Is playing much better
9. Martina Hingis- No pts to defend at Champs (but then again she might not make it past the 1st round)
10. Daniela Hantuchova-Lindsay will fall out

Lindsay will probably end around 12-14 because she is playing well, but she'll lose to Venus here, she'll lose to Serena in Germany, she'll lose to Serena in Munich and she'll lose to Venus/Serena at the champs

·
Registered
118 Posts
mmcdonald i agree with most of your ranking prediction, except i could only see monica as number #6 under henin and mauresmo if she's not playing anymore tournaments until LA. and hantuchova will be above Hingis, and maybe above Clijsters as well

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hantuchova will end 10 or 9 ahead of Martina and Lindsay.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Monica is playing in Switzerland, and will probably take a WC into Austria, shes not stupid.

Hantuchova wont be ahead of Hingis as Hingis has very little to defend, and Hantuchova isnt playing all that great right now. while Clijsters is playing much much better

1 - 20 of 23 Posts