• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He is busy to vulture Nice right now..

Ernie probably will face, Kubot-Benneteau-Youzhny/Stepanek on his way to 4th round.

His GS record is not good. But do you think Gulbis is a man now, and will reach the 4th round, and give a fight to Federer?

I think, this is his chance really.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
There are many players who could've beaten him before the 4th round but not these ones I think Gulbis will win all his matches in 3/4 sets.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
id like to say yes but i really think he'll lose to benneteau in round 2 if they meet. That IF he gets past kubot, he should but nothing is a guarantee with gulbis at a slam

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Benjamin Becker, Blaz Kavcic, Gilles Muller, Steve Johnson, Andreas Haider-Maurer. Just some of the mugs Gulbis has lost to in Slams over the years (he obviously was a big odds favourite to win all of those matches). Should he reach 4th round (or 3rd at least)? Obviously. But will he? Nobody knows for sure. I can't see him losing to Kubot on clay, but I could see him crashing out in the 2nd round against Benneteau (they played in RG first round in 2010 and Gulbis lost 4-6 2-6 0-1 ret and was completely outplayed until he injured himself). He should beat Youzhny, but it would not be a huge surprise if he lost (3-3 H2H) and Russian is somewhat improving his poor form lately.

All things considered, in my opinion there's ~40% that he will make it to the 4th round.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Benjamin Becker, Blaz Kavcic, Gilles Muller, Steve Johnson, Andreas Haider-Maurer. Just some of the mugs Gulbis has lost to in Slams over the years (he obviously was a big odds favourite to win all of those matches). Should he reach 4th round (or 3rd at least)? Obviously. But will he? Nobody knows for sure. I can't see him losing to Kubot on clay, but I could see him crashing out in the 2nd round against Benneteau (they played in RG first round in 2010 and Gulbis lost 4-6 2-6 0-1 ret and was completely outplayed until he injured himself). He should beat Youzhny, but it would not be a huge surprise if he lost (3-3 H2H) and Russian is somewhat improving his poor form lately.

All things considered, in my opinion there's ~40% that he will make it to the 4th round.
:confused:

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
What? Federer is a legend ofc, I meant his draw is no different from Gulbis'
You are missing the point, he is trying to say that if Gulbis doesn't make R4 with this draw, he should be ashamed of himself. Nothing to do with Federer here.

As for the thread, yes I think he will.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Please Lord no.

But yeah, very easy draw, should make it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
:facepalm: Ha Gulbis in 4th round of a slam

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Hard to say comfortably yes, he is favorit in his section and should win 3 rounds, if we look at last year - since Ernie improoved, he didn´ played AO 2013, at RG 2013 he lost to Monfils - which is not shame, Wimbledon vs in-form Verdasco who pushed Murray - but his bad result last year was at USO vs Haider-Maurer....

This year AO - he lost to Querrey - in super hot conditions and Querrey was serving and hitting FH really great. his results at slams are questionable, but if we look at last 4 slams only that Haider-Maurer loss was i think bad loss to player he should have beaten.

In his draw there are players who could push him if in form at faster surfaces - Wimby, US open, but no way at best of 5 at clay - he should be confident from Nice so i say he will make it to R16 this time

I totally forgot Bennetou in his section, i think he just lost with him in Miami, so that could be tough 5th setter vs home player

1 - 20 of 25 Posts