·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This young talent Grigor Dimitrov has huge upside potential

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
He seems to have limitless potential and doesn't even seem close to what he should be able to produce if he manages to put his game together. But whether he can put it all together is something to be seen.

I think he might tragically never put his talent together properly. So no.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
He won't win another tournament.

3,728 Posts
bump this after 5 years and look at these kneejerk reactions man

talent always prevails

when nadal got bagled by roddick at the us open did anyone think he'd ever win the slam?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
He's one of the better players in a so far rather disappointing generation, so perhaps. Depends whether the generations coming up after him are any better.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I think it's really neat to see this new generation come up, comprised of Tomic, Dimitrov, Raonic, Harrison, and Berankis. This generation is intriguing because even more so than the generation before them, age and fitness level are crucial. We will see them continue to blossom over years before they are truly ready to compete with the men on tour.

Of the youngsters, I think Tomic has showed the most potential for Top 5 and a Slam win. He's the only one I truly believe will be Top 5; whereas the others, I need to see a bit more or wait before being as confident that they will. I was extremely impressed by the way Tomic played and challenged the best player of the year at Wimbledon. He showed talent, smarts, and shot selection. I do think Dimitrov has a ton of talent to succeed, but I think his key will how hard he works. He will need to be much stronger and thicker to do it, and it will take dedication to transform his body (see: scrawny but talented athlete Djokovic in 2005 when he beat Ancic and made the 4R at the USO).

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
He's one of the better players in a so far rather disappointing generation, so perhaps. Depends whether the generations coming up after him are any better.
Tomic, Raonic, and Dimitrov impress me, but otherwise you're right and it's fairly dry.

Berankis does possess some naturally clean ball-striking ability, but is he too much a Kafelnikov to make it in this day and age?

Harrison is just unimpressive to me, so much a pusher.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
If he gets a FH, maybe.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
who the hell knows? so many guys (Mrurray, Gasquet, etc..) were supposed to have won a slam by now and it hasn't happened yet. :shrug:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
hopefully, but he needs to make big improvements

movement and BH are a liability

·
Premium Member
21,537 Posts
who the hell knows? so many guys (Mrurray, Gasquet, etc..) were supposed to have won a slam by now and it hasn't happened yet. :shrug:
Murray was far more successful at that age, Dimitrov is not going to be 'youngster' for much longer :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think he will. Amazing talent, plays beautiful game, natural entertainer. It's good for the game to have more players like him. He needs a big win to get going. Overall, I expected more from him this year, but he can still prove me wrong.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
whats become the main thing these past few years - athleticism, I dont see it in any of young guns. dimitrov appears too tall to be as effortless (read: effective) mover as fed, the guy whos game dimitrovs is likened to. also for consistency, defense is the key, and I get the feeling he will suck in that department for eternity.

in that sense - no he wont win a slam, but thing is, someone will win those slams other than whos presently wining them, weather some may like it or not. so this guy, tomic, raonic... no matter how 1d they appear to fedaldjo... they are the future cause, simply, there isnt anyone else. so there is a window for dimitrov as well cause I dont see these type of dominations as they are now repeating as much in the future.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts