Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Federer will come back guns blazing as he has a large training block.

The knee surgery sounds fishy, but I just have a feeling he is having a massive training block to get some power and speed back, his goal is to peak for Wimbledon.
They are probably trying to get the early 2017 form back.

I just hope they are working on his forehand power, they have enough time to change his technique.
Hope to see him hitting flat hard forehands again and not the loopy ones like Nadal does.
Cant wait!!

If you were in his camp, what would you be wanting him to work on??

·
Registered
61 Posts

The knee surgery sounds fishy, but I just have a feeling he is having a massive training block to get some power and speed back, his goal is to peak for Wimbledon.

I just hope they are working on his forehand power, they have enough time to change his technique.
Hope to see him hitting flat hard forehands again and not the loopy ones like Nadal does.
Cant wait!!

The guy just needs to be healthy and fresh and he'll be okay.The way people are saying it it looks like Djokovic absolutely crushed Federer in every encounter in the last few years.When I say fresh ofc I mean phisycally but mentally as well.I think it will be good for him to sort of take it easy a bit with his family I've been saying it for a while now.He has the game to play Djokovic,he just needs to back it up mentally in those cagey moments and he'll win.Simple as that.Obviously it was shame for Federer that he didn't play Djoko at all during that 2017 season and early 2018 whilst he was in top form.He could've maybe get some wins, One or two there would have been massive for this present moment.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Cant wait!!

Compared to Djokovic he Is weak mentally. Therefore he has to work on mental strenght and how to control his emotions.
That said, only a great shrink could help him.

·
Premium Member
7,211 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned. Lat time he had a break like this, he came back with unlimited stamina winning 5 setters left and right. That was really fishy, hopefully it doesn't happen again.
But as long as Djokovic is fit both in body and mind, I don't think Rogie can vulture any more slams. Because his best chances are Wimbledon and AO, and those are Djokovic's best slams. Without Djoker's slump, Rogie would not have won AO 17, Wimby 17 and AO 18.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Compared to Djokovic he Is weak mentally. Therefore he has to work on mental strenght and how to control his emotions.
That said, only a great shrink could help him.
Last time i checked Federer has 20 Majors Djokovic 17. Federer in Major finals has only lost to Nadal and Djokovic and once Delpotro who but for injury would have been a multiple Major winner.

Djokovic lost two Major finals to Wawrinka and has a losing record to Nadal, an apparent clay courter, at the Us Open.

I think Federer has the edge mentally.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Federer has another two or 3 majors left in him given how inept the tour is apart from Nadal and Djokovic.

The Slam race is between Nadal and Federer. Djokovic is probably too far back at his age to overhaul either.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Last time i checked Federer has 20 Majors Djokovic 17. Federer in Major finals has only lost to Nadal and Djokovic and once Delpotro who but for injury would have been a multiple Major winner.

Djokovic lost two Major finals to Wawrinka and has a losing record to Nadal, an apparent clay courter, at the Us Open.

I think Federer has the edge mentally.
Please, stop writing nonsense.
Since 2013 Federer has lost every single Slam match against Djokovic, 4 finals included and he has also lost 3 ATP Finals finals.
What mental edge are you talking about?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Please, stop writing nonsense.
Since 2013 Federer has lost every single Slam match against Djokovic, 4 finals included and he has also lost 3 ATP Finals finals.
What mental edge are you talking about?
20-17. As of today it is much better to be in Federer and Nadals position than Djokovic so they both have a mental edge over Djokovic as there is more pressure on Djokovic.

Look at it this way. If you could choose today which players shoes you would like to be in whose would it be?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned. Lat time he had a break like this, he came back with unlimited stamina winning 5 setters left and right. That was really fishy, hopefully it doesn't happen again.
But as long as Djokovic is fit both in body and mind, I don't think Rogie can vulture any more slams. Because his best chances are Wimbledon and AO, and those are Djokovic's best slams. Without Djoker's slump, Rogie would not have won AO 17, Wimby 17 and AO 18.
Can’t wait for Roger to put you in deep ruins again at Wimbledon you disgusting hater

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Federer's 2nd serve and break point conversion is stagnant. Needs to work on those. If he wants to win slams require some improvement in defensive ability to stay in rallies as his attacking game is the best. He is very close to beating Djokovic in the last few meetings.

·
Registered
347 Posts
He will miraculously start playing "better than ever".
I am expecting this. Funny how when Fed undergoes a surgery, there's zero information about it. With other players you know the kind of surgery, where it was done etc, usually you even get to see their pics. With Fed, the last surgery itself was as fishy as it gets. Isn't it amazing that despite the surgery he was ready for Wimbledon and then needed another 6 months to heal lol? He is just getting ready (by whatever means ;) ) for another 2017 like revival now that both Nadal and Djokovic are closing in.

·
Registered
12,675 Posts
This AO he also had unlimited stamina, he was just unfortunate to get injured. He will come back even more ... "refreshed" this time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This AO he also had unlimited stamina, he was just unfortunate to get injured. He will come back even more ... "refreshed" this time.
Agreed. That brutal Millman match had zero impact on his next round. He looked as fresh as ever, at 38 and half years old. I think he feels he needs a little bit extra juice to beat Djokovic.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Fed's till at the top because other players don't know how to play him except ball bashing from the back of the court.

No net play, no slices, no drop shots to test the old man's legs.

Having said that, people need to remember it took him 10 months last time after surgery to win something big. No tournaments won in 2016. That would bring us to AO 2021.

And being +39 won't help you return first serves: he will have to stay longer on the court, which will further affect his stamina.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There's so much exciting tennis ahead, in apocalyptic conditions even. So many young players coming up. Let the old man rest.

·
Premium Member
10,024 Posts
Well I am not sure a "break" can bring you to top form.

That said he can hope Nadal and Djokovic to be exhausted after a long Clay season and young guns to fail once again.

But he was far better in 2019 after some Clay than in 2018 when he skipped, so I am afraid at 39 (like in Connors past) rustyness should prevail over freshness.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts