Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Federer Win Wimbledon #9?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
We as Federer fans gotta be honest with ourselves and admit that it's over. No he's not winning Wimbledon 2021, 2022, or ever again.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
2022 and beyond, no more grand slams, 2021 or bust, W mainly, smallest of chances USO, AO absent so none, and FO virtually none!!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Djokovic had an off day in the 2019 Wimbledon final, and Federer still got very tight in all 3 tiebreaks. I think for Federer to win, he needs to have some renewed confidence in his game or bring his backhand back to early 2017 levels. It's hard to see where on tour Federer could gain some much needed confidence from aside from winning Miami, but if he plays Doha and Dubai back to back, I doubt he will be fit enough to play in Miami, so unless he bows out early in one of Doha or Miami, it'll be a wash if he can't gain confidence from something that matters, such as a Masters series tournament. If you're telling me Federer will somehow gain confidence from playing the clay season, I'd say that that's very unlikely unless Roger is gifted an easy draw and an exhausted opponent in the final.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Federer could win if Djokovic is not around due to injury or shock defeat. Otherwise, Novak will comfortably win and you can bet he'll bring a higher level than Wimbledon 2019 - esp. with his improved serve!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
US Open is correct only for Open Era but not All Time which is more important.

All time leaders at US Open with 7 titles each are: Richard Sears, William Larned and Bill Tilden.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Djokovic had an off day in the 2019 Wimbledon final, and Federer still got very tight in all 3 tiebreaks. I think for Federer to win, he needs to have some renewed confidence in his game or bring his backhand back to early 2017 levels. It's hard to see where on tour Federer could gain some much needed confidence from aside from winning Miami, but if he plays Doha and Dubai back to back, I doubt he will be fit enough to play in Miami, so unless he bows out early in one of Doha or Miami, it'll be a wash if he can't gain confidence from something that matters, such as a Masters series tournament. If you're telling me Federer will somehow gain confidence from playing the clay season, I'd say that that's very unlikely unless Roger is gifted an easy draw and an exhausted opponent in the final.
It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Federer will gain confidence from a successful clay season. That's pretty much what happened in 2019. Yes, he will be 2 years older but I'm don't think it's that implausible.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Even if he did it's not the same as King/Nadal as they're undefeated in finals (and semifinals) of AO/RG.
Rather than lopsided achievements at one tournament, I think Federer is comfortable with having 5+ slams at three different majors.

Maybe one day Djokovic will become more versatile and win a few more USOs.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Obviously his knee could still be fucked, so I'm not looking too far ahead.

Let's just enjoy Doha first. It's been too long with Fed. It's not like anyone else comes close to what he does on the court.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts