Votes: 42 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Roger overcame some rough Slam performances in the last two years by winning Wimbledon in a two-week display of brilliant tennis, dropping his only set to Mardy Fish, after losing focus following a rain delay.

With the pressure of winning his first slam behind him, Roger can breathe a lot easier. I think he now knows what he is capable of (did you notice a little bit of arrogance creeping into his smiles during his drumming of Dickhead?) and will not look back.

I think he will win the US Open, barring injury or other calamity. No one comes close to having the all-court game that he has to neutralize his opponents.

What do you think?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I think that he'll be on the list of contenders, along with Agassi, Hewitt ("remember me guys?!"), Safin (if he's back and healthy), Roddick (yes, I said it), etc. He has the talent to win it, but whether he'll get the right draw and perform better than everybody he meets remains to be seen ;)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i have no idea but i'd like to see him follow up his Wimby performance with at least a quarterfinal showing. or he has my permission to do like he did against Agassi in Miami -- assuming that they once again face off in the finals...;)

·
Chiudi-fan
75,900 Posts
I hope he will, but it will be very difficult. But I think now he once did reach the final, he can do it more often.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
aren't we jumping the gun a little bit here???? we can't asess things now if the hardcourt season didn't even start yet. if the regular Roger doesn't creap out of his shell again, then yes Roger will be one of the top favorites to win, along with all the players Rebecca listed, but bearing in mind Roger's scary looking hardcourt season last year. but i highly doubt it that he's have an abysmal hardcourt season this year, but we have to sit it out and wait until 2/4 of the hardcourt season is done, which is pretty muhc when they're done here in Montreal, or even in Cincinatti(sp?), then we can see who are the legitimate best hardcourt players. but if we just go by their past results, it's pretty much Andre, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, and now Federer since he seems to have an actual head on his shoulders

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Probably not, considering that American hardcourt is easily his weakest surface - it's the only one he's never won a title on, and due to a combination of injuries and poor form he has never won a match at the TMS events in either Canada or Cincinnati in his entire career.

However, I think he will do better there this year because of his Wimbledon win and take more confidence into the US Open - last year, he was coming off a dreadful slump during the summer, the year before he had only just recovered from a severe groin injury that kept him out after Wimbledon. And call me superstitious, but I think it'll help that he won't be the no. 13 seed as he has been there for the previous two years. I reckon he can break his fourth-round duck and reach the quarters for the first time, but another strong challenger will probably end his run there.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
no way in the hell!!! lol... :p

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
look back over the last 20 yrs or so
the ones that have won rhe US Open have either been #1 or have gone onto be #1

no other slam can compete with this.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Naldo said:
aren't we jumping the gun a little bit here????
No. This poll expires right after the victor holds the US Open cup, so it will be interesting to see how things develop :)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheBoiledEgg said:
look back over the last 20 yrs or so
the ones that have won rhe US Open have either been #1 or have gone onto be #1

no other slam can compete with this.
Interesting.

Go Roger Go!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would like to see he wins.
Rebecca mentioned the draw. Who do you think will give trouble to Roger in the draw? Agassi? I doubt it now after Roger's Wimbledon victory.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No, Marat might win it if he chooses to! ;)

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Agassi and Federer are the only two players who can win in any kind of draw at the Open right now. If Federer and him do meet and Rogi decided to be passive and not believe in himself then Andre will win like he did in Miami. Agassi got lucky Rogi mentally faded away in that 1st set after being up a break. If they both play well Rogi will win. This is the toughest slam to call cause of that Saturday Semi and Sunday Final. Last year Andre wasn't in the match really till the 4th set and he was tired from his long match with Hewitt. It all depends on how long those semis are. I don't get why they can't schedule it so the guys get a day of rest before the final.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts