Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the real question right now for me. Will Rogie win anything the rest of 2018 among USO, Shanghai, Basel, and London? I'm starting to have my serious doubts about it. USO and London I say no way really, but Shanghai and/or Basel maybe? What're your thoughts, will Rogie win another event in 2018 or not?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be over the moon if Rogie wins career singles title #99 at the 2018 USO and GS #21 there, (also USO #6), but I don't think so!! I'm excluding Laver Cup, exhibition to me only... Therefore Shanghai or Basel, because I don't think he wins London either!!

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The question is, if just Basel the rest of 2018, is winning just AO, Rotterdam, Stuttgart, and Basel good enough? I'm not so sure it really is!!

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
A good draw, Nadal and Djokovic lose/get injured and voila... GS count old enough to go out drinking alone.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'd be over the moon if Rogie wins career singles title #99 at the 2018 USO and GS #21 there, (also USO #6), but I don't think so!! I'm excluding Laver Cup, exhibition to me only... Therefore Shanghai or Basel, because I don't think he wins London either!!
Motion to ban this poster for unnecessary use of “!!” and starting dumb ruins threads

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Yes if he takes a crap on that useless glorified exhibition called laver cup and plays a real tournament like Shenzhen or Tokio instead. He’s played Tokio in the past so why not?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, Connors stopped winning titles in 1989 when he turned 37 that September... He played a few more years, but no more titles for Connors... So how many more can Rogie realistically win the rest of his career? Somewhere between 0 and 12 I say (98-110 career titles)!!

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Yes, once he learns to hit standard groundstrokes, make standard returns in play, not miss easy volleys and not hit double faults at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As disappointed as I am in Rogie's 2018 overall: 33-5 overall record (86.84%), 6 finals (3 runners up at: Indian Wells, Halle, and Cincinnati), 3 titles (AO, Rotterdam, Stuttgart), 1 GS title in 2018, is still ranked #2 in the world at the age of 37 now, in February at 36 1/2 became the oldest #1 ever in the Open Era (since 1968), he's had several achievements as posted here...

Let's see what he can do the rest of 2018, but 40-46 wins overall should be achievable!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Yes, once he learns to hit standard groundstrokes, make standard returns in play, not miss easy volleys and not hit double faults at the worst possible time.
Standard groundstrokes weren’t the problem today as the stats tell. The problem were the attacking and approach shots which he either missed (on break point) or placed so badly that djokovic got back into the rally (at 3:3 40:30)
None of the rest has anything to do with age. It’s all about confidence and mental strenght which he both severely lacks at the moment. You could tell how nervous he was at every point. Actually he hit his two best winners when he knew it was basically over (the bh-dtl and tt#he forehand inside in return). He still has a mental blockade against djokovic. It doesn’t matter if you’re 36 or 37. I mean he absolutely destroyed nadal three times in a row at the age of 35-36 who was playing much better than djokovic today.

However you’re right with the Volleys. Those were pretty terrible most of the time. You slowly see the edberg lessons fade away now. His positioning on those points was awful. Compare that to his Volleys at the 2014 shanghai semifinal. That was something else. He didn’t play much differently today but he made those difficult Volleys and actually got the returns back in play with interest.

Maybe I’m a little bit oblivious to the age factor but if you can win a slam (losing only 2 sets in the process which were both avoidable) at 36 1/2 why shouldn’t you win one at 37?

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Standard groundstrokes weren’t the problem today as the stats tell. The problem were the attacking and approach shots which he either missed (on break point) or placed so badly that djokovic got back into the rally (at 3:3 40:30)
None of the rest has anything to do with age. It’s all about confidence and mental strenght which he both severely lacks at the moment. You could tell how nervous he was at every point. Actually he hit his two best winners when he knew it was basically over (the bh-dtl and tt#he forehand inside in return). He still has a mental blockade against djokovic. It doesn’t matter if you’re 36 or 37. I mean he absolutely destroyed nadal three times in a row at the age of 35-36 who was playing much better than djokovic today.

However you’re right with the Volleys. Those were pretty terrible most of the time. You slowly see the edberg lessons fade away now. His positioning on those points was awful. Compare that to his Volleys at the 2014 shanghai semifinal. That was something else. He didn’t play much differently today but he made those difficult Volleys and actually got the returns back in play with interest.

Maybe I’m a little bit oblivious to the age factor but if you can win a slam (losing only 2 sets in the process which were both avoidable) at 36 1/2 why shouldn’t you win one at 37?
I don't disagree with you at all. In fact, I completely agree with you. Federer's movement is still fantastic. It's not like he can't run anymore. He is still supremely fast and still a great athlete. It's not age but mental. He is all over the place mentally. And I guess that's the disadvantage of playing a reduced schedule. You put too much pressure on yourself to win every tournament you play. As opposed to when you play a full schedule, the pressure to win isn't the same because you know if you don't win the current tournament, you can always win the one next week. Because Federer plays a selective schedule, he knows he has to win every tournament he enters. The pressure is immense and it seems that he is unable to handle the pressure, if those easy misses on returns are anything to go by.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
A good draw, Nadal and Djokovic lose/get injured and voila... GS count old enough to go out drinking alone.
since last years wimby only 1 loss was to the 2 of them

then there's

delpo x 2
goffin
a zverev
kokkinakis
coric
anderson

and some missed tourneys like last years cincy

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right now, it feels like all Rogie does is make finals and then lose them (i.e. Indian Wells, Halle, and Cincinnati), (he did win AO, Rotterdam, and Stuttgart), then there's the horrible 2nd round loss in Miami and the even worse QF loss in W...

I feel like right now Rogie will finish his career with only a mere 98 titles, but chances are he can win at least 1 more title in 2018 alone...

·
Registered
965 Posts

While his success from the baseline payed off last year, I always thought ditching the volley play was going to be problematic in the long run. He was coming up short only to Djokovic with that tactic And with respect to the mental aspect of it, I feel the loss at IW has had a huge bearing. And the lack of match play has just worsened it. Hoping he forgets about all the pressure he's got to contend with and plays freely. Just forget about you wanting to win the USO after ten years, Title #99 and #100 and just play freely like you did in AO 17. Hoping against hope probably.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow. The guy has won one GS, one 500, one tiddler titles and has made three other finals, two of them Masters. And #2 on the rankings despite that. At 37 you would kill for that in a season. Sure, he's managed to butcher matches and his game is horrible right now but one good win and hey. If Fed's holding up the US trophy in three weeks will he give a rodent's gluteus Maximus he lost today. Actually yeah, coz' he hates losing to Novak. Tomorrow's another day. And we Fedtards are damn lucky we still get to see Roger playing. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts