Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer's Grass Season

• He is the favorite for Grass Court Tournaments.

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • He is NOT the favorite for Grass Court Tournaments.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • He will win Halle.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • He will NOT win Halle.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • He will win Aegon.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • He will NOT win Aegon.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • He will win Wimbledon.

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • He will NOT win Wimbledon.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Federer is arguably Top 4 this year in terms of form. He has one ATP 500 under his belt and has made three other finals. He is even preforming well in Doubles.

Here ya go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Roger_Federer_tennis_season

With that said Federer is one of the best grass-court players in the history of tennis, yet he declined a bit since his 2012 win.

Do you think he has a chance to snag some or maybe all of the titles? Will Grassray/Djokovic/Nadal dominate instead?

Thoughts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
He`s not playing in Queen`s

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he will easily win Halle and Wimbledon and will even triple Bagel Murray in the Wimbledon final.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Every time I saw Kowchi's avatar I've to :lol:.

On thread, he will probably win Halle quite easily. Wimbledon is difficult, cause it's best of 5 and he didn't look good in this format vs. top players for a while. Hope I'm wrong though.

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
Halle is in the bag :yeah:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
He will either win Halle or give it to a friend Haas or Hewitt in a final. Totally on his racquet

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Roger should have been done as a tennis player years ago. You get married, your life is half over. You got 2 kids, pretty much over. Got two twins, Roger is a dead man walking. Simple as that. He should be able to win Halle but who knows. The Germans don't pay him lots of money just to win.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
First of all nole don't play warm up grass tournaments. But I definitely see fed winning one of these tournaments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If he is reaching the RG Semifinal/final..Could it (with his age) be wise to skip Halle, play a few matches at The Boodles and be fresh for Wimbledon?
Not only that but he should take a break from walking and get a skooter.

·
Registered
744 Posts
He's the favourite for me. Nadal hasn't performed on grass for a while, Murray looks terrible this year, Djokovic is out of sorts and was never as good on grass as other surfaces anyway. Federer's looking a lot better this year than last so yeah, he's my favourite for Wimbledon at the moment.

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah Nadal/Murray/Djoko may end up losing in R1's at this rate :)

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
He was exceptionally close to an AO title and also pretty close to one in IW. He'll absolutely be a strong threat during the grass season and probably the favorite at Halle unless Nadal plays there and seems in good form/does well in early rounds though I only see it as being entirely on his racket against someone like Haas or Youzhny because they've both had rough years. WB is a huge question mark and he'll probably need help there; definitely winnable with the right draw and said help taking place.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
At this stage of his career if he doesn't have to face Nadal, i'd give him a chance against anybody else especially on grass.

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts
He will be in the mix against anybody

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
If he is reaching the RG Semifinal/final..Could it (with his age) be wise to skip Halle, play a few matches at The Boodles and be fresh for Wimbledon?

Halle introduced a R1 bye for the top 4 seeds a couple of years ago in order to make it easier for players going far in RG. Definitely think it's better to get some play on grass ahead of W.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
He should win Halle pretty easily.

As for Wimbledon, it's hard to know but obviously anything is possible.
Djokovic is the favorite in Wimbledon, but pretty much only by default. Fed is 2nd fave together with Nadal like many bookies are saying. Murray is such a mess right now he would probably get routined by any of these guys this year even on grass.
Wawrinka is not really a threat on grass.

To be honest, I hope Federer lands in Rafa's half in Wimbledon. Rafa is not the same player he used to be and he is more vulnerable than ever on grass. Fed would have a better chance against him than against Djokovic. On top of that, Rafa is WAY more likely than Novak to go out before SF, so that'd be another positive.

·
Registered
642 Posts
In the warm up tourneys he is the favourite. The bigger question is Wimbly, where I think he is the favourite, I mean he is the best on grass, he practiced for that the whole year, but not as much of a favourite as Nadal at RG. I think he has the odds to beat anyone, like 55-45 or 60-40 (top players not first rounders. The question is Nadal, but because they haven't met on grass since 2008 final and Nadal's current form, he has the odds 55-45. In the beginning of the year I thought "okay Roger you are playing better you reached AO semis won Dubai, but you just have a chance for Wimbledon". That changed now I think he is the favourite, especially if Nadal lose early. (Just to be clear he is not the favourite by a little, it is going to be an open race for the title)

Maybe I am too optimistic, we will see.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts