Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think his retirement is mostly dependent on the contracts he has with his sponsors. If they specify that he's got to play until he's 36, there's no way he'll call it quits now even if he wins this wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think he'll put a loose date on it. If he wins, and is questioned about it, he'll probably confirm that he'll be done, at least as a regular, by end 2017 at the very latest. Winning on Sunday all but completes his career, but given the Olympics is approaching and he is still a top 2 player, he'll be hungry enough to keep going.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I don't think he'll quit before the Olympics.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
why retire when he is enjoying it and earning money at the same time. this call for retirement just doesn't make sense. He is providing for his family while keeping in shape

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Me neither, Rogie still wants that Olympics Singles Gold title and winning Monte Carlo and Rome would mean he's won basically everything under the sun.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Please no. He is way more humble than Sampras and there is no need to end the career on a high note, and then sitting home watching his records being eclipsed while wondering what ifs. Instead he should pull off a Ken Rosewall and playing Wimbledon final at his 40th birthday.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
He's #2 in the world and is still capable of winning slams. Why retire when his slam record is on the line (think a resurgent Nadal)? I think the end of 2016 would be the earliest, but he still might play for a couple more years if he is still top 5, top 10 ala Ken Rosewall.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Lol no

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think Federer should play as long as he enjoys it even when he falls out of the top 10 and is losing in the early rounds of GS - not when he reaches Wimbledon Finals and is ranked #2 in the world.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This was asked of Agassi when he made the US Open Final at 35. He retired after the next year. He didn't do as well as he could've as that racquetball injury he suffered before playing Davy messed it all up.

Federer has the olympics next year so he'll go for that, then who knows afterwards. Is he the type of guy who'll stick around to the bitter end?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think his retirement is mostly dependent on the contracts he has with his sponsors. If they specify that he's got to play until he's 36, there's no way he'll call it quits now even if he wins this wimbledon.
The 2016 Olympics is just a cherry-on-the-top goal and will have no bearing on his retirement decision, imo. Whether he wins or loses in the 2015 Wimbledon finals or has expiring contracts, retirement doesn't make any sense for Federer in the near future as the guy: 1) is #2 in the world, 2) has a win-loss record of 40-6 in 2015, 3) earned $2,324,756 in prize money by half year in 2015 but dwarfed by appearance/endorsement monies, 4) captured 4 titles to date in 2015, 5) is without injury and moves almost as well as ever, 6) loves the tour despite its travails, 7) has a highly supportive family who handle the travelling well and who he dotes on and draws sustenance from, and 8) has an incredible & a stable coaching/physio/management team. Oh yeah, forgot he's one of the most recognized and beloved athletes around the world, so it takes A LOT to walk away from that adulation.

Any discussion of Roger trying to "hold out" until the 2016 Olympics doesn't understand the triviality of that question. Seriously, how much better could it possibly get for the Greatest Of All Time tennis player who still is at/near the pinnacle of his career regardless of his age?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_R..._tennis_season

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
He won't retire his career but he could retire from the match like he did at WTF 2014. Wouldn't that be funny :lol:
The amount of ruins and chaos that would cause would take at least a year to recover from on MTF.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm sure Rio 2016 motivates him. How long he goes on beyond that depends on his enjoyment of the lifestyle, which seems high, and his desire to break obscure longevity records. Connors still has more singles match victories at Wimbledon, for example. Connors and Agassi were still in the top ten at age 36. Will Federer do better?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I don't see him retiring for another 4-5 years at least, he could potentially play into his 40s.

I also think that if he keeps peaking for grass like the last two years, he could reach 20 Slams (don't mock me).

I'm not saying it will happen, but it COULD happen. He's 34 and the 2nd best player in the world and he'll be a huge favorite vs Djokovic, one of the all time greats and current #1, so...yeah.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts