Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,346 Posts
No, he's going to retire FOLLOWING Laver Cup 2019.
Corrected.

2021 makes sense as long as his back holds up. He can still be in the top 20 at 39/40.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Though postponed, the name of the Tokyo Olympics is still Tokyo 2020 FYI.

Reactions: winneh the pooh

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
He will play until winning slams is out of his reach, for the foreseeable future that's not the case
Another motivation is to revenge Djokovic the way he did to Nadal
He will not be satisfied as long as Djokovic is beating him at the slams stage

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Corrected.

2021 makes sense as long as his back holds up. He can still be in the top 20 at 39/40.
I was going to make this correction when I saw the post, but I’m glad I scrolled down and saw you made it for me ;)

·
Your visions will happen
52,918 Posts
No, he's gunning for Gore's 1909 Wimbledon record (41).
Gore was 41y6m when he won that title, but he only had to play the one round as the defending champion.

For me the 1908 title was more impressive because at 40y6m he had to play the full field, though only 6 matches

Even more astounding was him making the finals in 1912 at 44y6m, winning 6 matches and losing the 7th

Made the QF in 1914 at age 46y6m, Gore really was a giant of the game. Age 51 in 1919 he won a "tour" title, or at least a modern equivalent. Could have still been top 30 age 45-50 this guy if not for the war.

Bill Tilden at 37y5m in 1930 is still the record for oldest slam champion having to play 7 matches

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Barring serious injury, I have Roger retiring sometime around 2028, perhaps after the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. Though Brisbane 2032 is possible, I don't think it is likely unless he gets another big sponsor to replace Uniqlo. Medical and fitness standards are much higher than they were in the 1940's when 50 something Tilden basically retired, but it is still a business.

Age is just a number,
masterclass

·
Barkeep
1,671 Posts
Corrected.

Sorry for the delayed bump. I know Darth Vaderer tried to revise history after his original statement, but here's an example-

DV from Sept. 3, 2019:
"Well, there we have it. Roger’s last official tournament match prior to the swan song at the Laver Cup. I’m not sure when the retirement announcement will come (certainly not until after the US Open finishes, but almost definitely before the Laver Cup starts)"

"Not the way any of us would have wanted him to go out, but it’s been a hell of a ride"

Of course, this is all silly and none of it matters. I'm just sayin'. hehe

·
Premium Member
12,346 Posts
Sorry for the delayed bump. I know Darth Federer tried to revise history after his original statement, but here's an example-

DF from Sept. 3, 2019:
"Well, there we have it. Roger’s last official tournament match prior to the swan song at the Laver Cup. I’m not sure when the retirement announcement will come (certainly not until after the US Open finishes, but almost definitely before the Laver Cup starts)"

"Not the way any of us would have wanted him to go out, but it’s been a hell of a ride"

Of course, this is all silly and none of it matters. I'm just sayin'. hehe
@Darth Vaderer

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Every fucking Olympic year without fail users speculate if he's going to retire after the Olympics. The answer is that he is clearly never going to retire after the Olympic Games. Why would he? 😂

·
|
16,444 Posts
I'm so sick of seeing Federer's face, literally the most boring guy ever to play tennis.
Will be the greatest day of our lives when Federer retires....
He's the Taylor Swift of tennis, successful, predictable, utterly boring.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I'm so sick of seeing Federer's face, literally the most boring guy ever to play tennis.
Will be the greatest day of our lives when Federer retires....
He's the Taylor Swift of tennis, successful, predictable, utterly boring.
Looks like you slowly losing your shit. Did you use too much Hydroxychlorochine?

Reactions: Cloren and Motoflou

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
@Motoflou thinks he got me, but this is contracts law 101 fortunately. What is being quoted is extrinsic evidence - I.e. language outside of the four corners of the contract itself (the original post), and when a contract is clear on its face like ours was, then it is per se impermissible to introduce extrinsic evidence for interpretation. The contract “speaks for itself”

1 - 20 of 20 Posts