Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal here? I know right now Djokovic is just a few points behind Nadal. I believe I read somewhere that it is very likely Djokovic will regain the number one ranking unless something unexpected happens like him losing in early rounds for a few tournaments. Can someone fill me in on this?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
why does it matter? A mental midget who has not won a slam in more than a year being #1? Nole is not #1 regardless. He has not won any slams this year. He did not win enough slams last year to make him a #1 candidate. He is becoming a dad and married, which by itself disqualifies you as #1

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Are you serious?
Novak would have preferred a "Major" to ATP No.1.
It is a possibility that Novak will be No.1 before USO comes around,
MTF will explode with "Computer No.1" cries all over again.
WHY as a Novak fan you want that?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
It's desperation time for Nole fans. He needs to win SLAMs. Forget #1.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Next week? I'm confused, how could he gain points in the next week?

·
Registered
424 Posts
It is very likely Djokovic will regain the number one ranking unless something unexpected happens like him losing in early rounds for a few tournaments.
I believe they meant Wimby, Canada, Cincy and USO.
Nadal has to defend 4000 to Djoke's 2940, so it's unlikely that Nadal will outperform Djoke by at least 1000 points or so for these 4 tournaments.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Given Djokovic isn't playing a grass warm up for Wimbledon, I don't see how he can overtake Nadal before Wimbledon. Even then it's unlikely as Nadal is defending 10 points and Djokovic 1200. The US Open lead in M1000s are a different story though.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
I believe they meant Wimby, Canada, Cincy and USO.
Nadal has to defend 4000 to Djoke's 2940, so it's unlikely that Nadal will outperform Djoke by at least 1000 points or so for these 4 tournaments.
But rafa can keep his #1 post wimby, rafa lost at R1 in wimbledon, he can have a deep run this year, and Nole defends the F. Then rafa has to defend cincy/canada/USO, but after that comes nole time comea to defend beijing/shangai/paris/wtf... thich all combined which are about 4000 points too. I think it will be a battle to YE#1 but rafa has some adventage at the moment.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
#1 of what?
Exactly, oh look people, im the number one player in the world EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT WIN A SLAM WHEN IT MATTERS.

This number 1 ranking system has always been overrated and off the mark. In theory a player could be number one in the world without EVER WINNING A SLAM.

The history books ranks players by SLAMS not weeks at number 1. If you ask Djokovic what would you like more. To break Federers weeks at number one but NEVER WIN THE FRENCH OPEN. Or win the French open next year and stay at number 2 for the rest of his career.

What do you think his anwser will be? Get your priorities right people.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly, oh look people, im the number one player in the world EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT WIN A SLAM WHEN IT MATTERS.

This number 1 ranking system has always been overrated and off the mark. In theory a player could be number one in the world without EVER WINNING A SLAM.

The history books ranks players by SLAMS not weeks at number 1. If you ask Djokovic what would you like more. To break Federers weeks at number one but NEVER WIN THE FRENCH OPEN. Or win the French open next year and stay at number 2 for the rest of his career.

What do you think his anwser will be? Get your priorities right people.
I am continually amazed by the obsession with slams on this forum. It's bizarre. Yes, winning slams is great, a wonderful achievement. But it's not the end all and be all of measuring a player's career. Much more important, in my opinion, is the totality of a player's career, including longevity, career wins, and career winning percentage. Of course, if you calculate these latter stats you do indeed find that most of these players--Connors, Laver, Lendl, Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, and now Djokovic--won their fair share of slams. I think rankings are important, too, but I know that some odd things have occurred in the past, for example, Vilas never attaining the world number one ranking when clearly he was the best player in what was it, 1977?

Anyway, thanks for the info on the Nadal-Djokovic battle for world number one.

·
Your visions will happen
47,142 Posts
Nadal has #1 until after Wimbledon unless Djokovic wins the Wimbledon.

Djoker will get the #1 seed at SW19 which is fine cause he is the favorite :angel:

Then Nadal will lose #1 during USO swing most likely, and Djoker will be #1 seed at USO, which is also fine, because he is the favorite :angel:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A slamless choker as world no.1? No thanks.
I'm a Nadal fan, but that "slamless choker" you refer to has pretty much handled Nadal this season in their head to head, and one year I think he was like 7-0 against him. It is no shame to lose to Nadal on clay; almost everyone does. Can Nadal win another slam on grass? I think so. I think he can win Wimbledon this year if he is healthy.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
MarkChan would be really happy though as that would make Nole really a Wozniacki. lol. Funniest stuff I have read on this site since Nole lost.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts