Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now, he's scheduled to play, but do you think he will, or will he withdraw??

My take: Even if he does play it, he will NOT win it in 2020!!

Your thoughts??

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since Djokovic says he'll play to his maximum in 2020 and 2021, I will take him at his word, and assume he'll play Dubai in 2020!! Still though, I believe that Djokovic will NOT win Dubai this year...

·
Registered
21,623 Posts
It depends on the draw. There are couple of dangerous floaters among the top seeds, so you could never know.
Also it is only Bo3, much easier to take him down, except for Wawrinka who hasn't won a match for 13.5 years in this format against him. :giggle:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yes, he stupidly played an exhibition instead of playing a tourney to get ranking points. He hit a wall but played doubles then collapsed in year end championship. He had only 16 counted events. He didn’t desire the #1 ranking. Strange.

·
Registered
21,623 Posts
Yes, he stupidly played an exhibition instead of playing a tourney to get ranking points. He hit a wall but played doubles then collapsed in year end championship. He had only 16 counted events. He didn’t desire the #1 ranking. Strange.
His instagram feed has changed so much in the years. I get that he is more of a family guy now.
Not just chasing records at all costs. Balance is the key.

He should just ride this current wave and he'll get into the sunset relaxed.

·
Your visions will happen
51,258 Posts
He said after the AO final that this year and next, he will play to his maximum and then slow down and play certain events only. I really think he wants to break the weeks at number 1 record this season.
Yes he needs every week he can. Of course he is going to play Dubai, he cannot just sit around and let Nadal get back to #1 with exploits in Acapulco. Djokovic cannot afford any weeks NOT at #1

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
No doubt and rightfully so. It's better to go for it while you still can then later in life think about the 'what if's' if you didn't try your best. He still got an huge part of life ahead of him when he retires tennis a one point. Relatively young too to others who have to work their asses off until 65+ in most cases.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
One tourament more in sensitive moment bcs of Nadals scedule and points. Wont kill him

·
Premium Member
10,676 Posts
Considering

1) how rusty and underperforming he was in 2019 Sunshine Double, I guess he planed to play in Dubai to get that rust off (I would have choosed Acapulco myself because of IW closer surface)

2) I hope he does not care much but Nadal can regain #1 in Acapulco that week and he need a SF.

I agree with you he is very unlikely to win there but I do not think Dubai is his main winter goal anyway.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Should play it without any pressure just to shake the rust off and be more prepared for Sunshine Double, not repeating last year’s mistake. His main focus should not be this time of the year. He should pace himself out and go in full force from RG to USO. There are 3 slams and the Olympics in those 3.5 months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts