Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
|
15,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks unlikely that they'll ever catch Rafa, given that Rafa is more dominant than ever at Roland Garros (won Roland Garros the last 3 years) and the US Open (won 2 of the last 3 US Opens, and retired in the 2018 US Open SF vs. Del Potro).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks unlikely that they'll ever catch Rafa, given that Rafa is more dominant than ever at Roland Garros (won Roland Garros the last 3 years) and the US Open (won 2 of the last 3 US Opens, and retired in the 2018 US Open SF vs. Del Potro).
Fed chances are zero while Djoker 20 to 25 percent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to see Djokovic-Nadal at Wimbledon again, given how epic that 2018 Wimbledon SF was, 10-8 in the 5th Set....
Agreed they made him played indoor despite weather conditions were perfect. This match Nadal should have won in 4 sets had he didnt choked in 3rd set tiebreaker.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Agreed they made him played indoor despite weather conditions were perfect. This match Nadal should have won in 4 sets had he didnt choked in 3rd set tiebreaker.
How different the slam count would look were it not for that f-ing closed roof when the sun was shining, and splitting the match in two for 11 pm curfew in SW19.
A disgrace. But Rafa will catch fed regardless.

·
Registered
17,750 Posts
I remember when people like the OP used to reference both slam head-to-head AND overall head-to-head.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Never.

Looks unlikely that Rafa will ever make one Masters Finals title, let alone 5... Just another statistic...
Yep. Also quite unlikely Nadal will ever make the HBCYGS (Halle-Basel calendar year Grand Slam), such is Federer's GOATness.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember when people like the OP used to reference both slam head-to-head AND overall head-to-head.
There is nobody like me.
Even when Rafa had a huge lead over Federer I said the slamH2H is what matters, not the overall H2H.
In fact Rafa still has a comfortable lead over Federer in the overall H2H and you can see I don't mention it.....in fact I don't even remember what their overall H2H is.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
A better question is why couldn't Nadal made it to them in the other Slams besides the French Open where he played them 12 times.

For comparison, he played them 6 times at the Australian Open, 7 times at Wimbledon and 3 times at the US Open.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A better question is why couldn't Nadal made it to them in the other Slams besides the French Open where he played them 12 times.

For comparison, he played them 6 times at the Australian Open, 7 times at Wimbledon and 3 times at the US Open.
Rafa and Djokovic have met 3 times at the US Open, and Rafa leads 2-1.
Rafa-Federer have been one match from meeting at the US Open several times before-
2008: Nadal lost SF to Murray (Nadal was exhausted after winning Gold)
2009: Nadal lost SF to Del Potro (Nadal played with torn stomach muscle, served 90mph 1st serves)
2010: Federer lost SF to Djokovic
2011: Federer lost SF to Djokovic
2013: Federer lost R16 to Robredo
2017: Federer lost QF to Del Potro

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Djokovic would be leading the H2H if their encounters had been more evenly distributed. He did beat Nadal (and Federer as well) in every slam. The Spaniard can't say the same thing. He never beat him at the AO and benefited from an injury at Wimbledon. In fact, post-2010 Nadal beat Djokovic only ONCE in a non-clay slam, benefitting from a massive choke in the 3rd set. Granted a 2-1 lead isn't a victory but on HC it's not usual for Djokovic to lose from such position.

The question to ask here is, will Nadal and Federer manage to beat BOTH their fellow Big 3 members at EVERY slam like Djokovic did?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Rafa and Djokovic have met 3 times at the US Open, and Rafa leads 2-1.
Rafa-Federer have been one match from meeting at the US Open several times before-
2009: Nadal loses SF to Del Potro (Nadal played with torn stomach muscle, served 90mph 1st serves)
2010: Federer loses SF to Djokovic
2011: Federer loses SF to Djokovic
2013: Federer loses R16 to Robredo
2017: Federer loses QF to Del Potro
Rafa never met Federer at the US Open because he sucked in Federer's prime from 2005-2009. Also, he only has that lead at the US Open because he hasn't played Djokovic there in 7 years. The only place that he is better than Djokovic is on clay. He hasn't won a set against Djokovic on hardcourt in 7 years.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Rafa never met Federer at the US Open because he sucked in Federer's prime from 2005-2009. Also, he only has that lead at the US Open because he hasn't played Djokovic there in 7 years. The only place that he is better than Djokovic is on clay. He hasn't won a set against Djokovic on hardcourt in 7 years.
Actually there is a 4-and-a-half-year difference between Rafa and Federer.
Since Rafa wasn't a hardcourt prodigy, there was no chance of him meeting Federer during Federer's US Open prime.
Rafa's hardcourt prime began in 2009 when he beat Federer at the Australian Open (and Rafa leads Federer 3-1 at the Australian Open).

If you are going penalize Rafa for not meeting Federer during Federer's US Open title runs, then you must penalize Djokovic way more.....because apart from 2008 Australian Open all of Djokovic's slams came 2011 onwards.

We are talking about slams, not surfaces, and Rafa is superior to Djokovic at the US Open.
Rafa has won more US Opens than Djokovic.
And Rafa has a winning h2h over Djokovic at the US Open.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Djokovic and Nadal are tied (4-4) in Slam finals. Djokovic also won 2018 W semifinal that was the real final (since Anderson was the other finalist).
Overall Djokovic leads Nadal in H2H and finals.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Djokovic and Nadal are tied (4-4) in Slam finals. Djokovic also won 2018 W semifinal that was the real final (since Anderson was the other finalist).
Overall Djokovic leads Nadal in H2H and finals.
What is the point of leaving out Slam SFs?
And Slam QFs?
Not important?
Oh, because Rafa has beaten Djokovic at FOUR Slams SFs, and a Slam QF.

·
Registered
273 Posts
What is the point of leaving out Slam SFs?
And Slam QFs?
Not important?
Oh, because Rafa has beaten Djokovic at FOUR Slams SFs, and a Slam QF.
And what's the point of leaving out Tour finals and Masters 1000?
You are cherry picking the only statistics where Nadal has an edge over Djokovic, i could cherry pick 4 statistics where Djokovic has the upper end.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And what's the point of leaving out Tour finals and Masters 1000?
You are cherry picking the only statistics where Nadal has an edge over Djokovic, i could cherry pick 4 statistics where Djokovic has the upper end.
Because I only care about slams.
Even when Rafa had gigantic leads over Federer/Djokovic in the overall h2h, I kept saying that only the slamH2H mattered.
In fact I can't even tell you what their overall H2H is today, because I never post about it and can't remember.
You blatently cherry-picked when you left out the slam SFs and slam QFs.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts