Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
Borg/Lendl/Wilander/Edberg/Becker/Sampras/Agassi/Kuerten ;) It seems a lot of the people on MTF seem to have forgotten what these players achieved in their career and how long it took them to get the titles which they won. ...
clowns. all of them.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
:worship:

It's kind of ridiculous how expectations for Federer have become the norm around here. Federer is one of the all time legends and his slams are why; if it were that easy everyone would be a great. I think Nadal and Djokovic are both far too susceptible to upsets or a hot player on any given day than Federer; they're also more susceptible to their own days of poor play. I think that's one of the things that sets Roger apart: his ability to beat the hot players and his ability to win even when he's playing horribly.
It's true. Becker and Edberg won half as many majors as Federer, and I would consider them greats. It's an amazing accomplishment to win 6, 7, 8 slams...

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Borg/Lendl/Wilander/Edberg/Becker/Sampras/Agassi/Kuerten ;) It seems a lot of the people on MTF seem to have forgotten what these players achieved in their career and how long it took them to get the titles which they won. Kuerten is the best example that you can't foresee how many Slam titles a player will get. Did anyone expect in his prime that he would have to end his career with 3 French Open titles?

Why not just enjoy the tennis instead of speculating how many Slams Djokovic and Nadal will get? It depends on so many circumstances and I really think it won't help either of them to feel the pressure of breaking records. You can't compare players with each other. It is irrelevant at which age a player wins a GS. He has to prove consistency and stay healthy.

Don't forget that it is easier to hunt for success as to confirm it.

It doesn't really matter how many Slam titles Djokovic and Nadal will win. They have already achieved a lot as an athlete for both of their countries.
well, If it wasn't me who wrote that, and If haven't read the thread from the start, I might think the same thing.

As for "why even speculate" question, I suggest you talk to the moderators of this forum and complaint to them. Otherwise - don't read it.

Besides, if we accept it is all a SPECULATION, I don't see why would we not SPECULATE. That is why it is called a SPECULATION!

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
and, yeah, say hello to Eve for me please... she was goooooood, if you know what I mean.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Nole will be the GOAT of this generation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This kind of predictions seems stupid to me, but there is one thing I'd like to point out - getting to the top is often easier than staying there. You're young, you're on fire, you've got your ambition all over the place. There you go to World No.1. After that you have the pressure of winning, winning and winning some more. And it's not like you haven't done it, there is nothing new there.
Federer has incredible mental strength to keep doing it for 200+ weeks. Pete had that kind of mental tougness. Djokovic is young, he's still learning, but he seems a little too emotional for this kind of domination. He will hurt himself with this. If he controls his nerves, stays injury-free, gets no real rivals along the way (he's still not as talented as Federer, mind you, he won't be head and shoulders above his competition), he sure can do it.
Roger was extremely lucky along the way as well, I don't think two periods of domination will come right after each other.

Reactions: Eden

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
well, If it wasn't me who wrote that, and If haven't read the thread from the start, I might think the same thing.

As for "why even speculate" question, I suggest you talk to the moderators of this forum and complaint to them. Otherwise - don't read it.

Besides, if we accept it is all a SPECULATION, I don't see why would we not SPECULATE. That is why it is called a SPECULATION!
Sorry, if you misunderstood my post. I just quoted your part with the players about the Safin, Roddick, Hewitt generation.

I don't have a problem with speculations and there is absolutely no need to complain to a moderator about this kind of thread :shrug:

and, yeah, say hello to Eve for me please... she was goooooood, if you know what I mean.
If this is adressed to me: Sorry, I don't know what you mean :confused:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Nole can- He already prove he can go deep into any slam/surfaces.

nadal- nope- He's game really just goes well only on slow courts.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Sorry, if you misunderstood my post. I just quoted your part with the players about the Safin, Roddick, Hewitt generation.

I don't have a problem with speculations and there is absolutely no need to complain to a moderator about this kind of thread :shrug:

If this is adressed to me: Sorry, I don't know what you mean :confused:
like eden - heaven... eve... get it?
.. if you dont, run nick through answers .com

·
Registered
5,582 Posts

ok. cool.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I can't see it to be honest. Djokovic will probably win more slams than Nadal for sure, but not outclass Federer.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Just a few gems from this old thread..

Djokovic is possible but doubtful. Nadal, not a chance. His only chances are clay and grass and he would have to pull a Borg-type deal for 4-5 years to make it to 12.
Djokovic is too good and when he losses it is because of his unforced errors, not opponent domination. 2008 is his good year. 2009 is going to be total domination.
Anyway if it doesn't happen I will not be too sad. Even if he stays at only 1 slam, that is good for Serbian tennis. Anything else is extra.
Haha....

Nadal won't, unless there will be a 2nd GS on clay soon.

Djokovic has a better chance, I think, though not very likely.
Wimbledon is made up for green clay!!

I think and believe that a current unkown entity will rise to beat the history books and block the others from winning I don't think it'll be nole or rafa, it'll be somone completely out the radar, someone who will have the full package and commence the pretty tennis school-of thought. I'm currenlty scouting the juniors and the atp young newcomers with a potential short-list...
Still scouting the juniors?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Murray is going to win 20+ slams 4 sure.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts