Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Nadal could, he's only 21. (Djokovic is only 20 so I think he has even a better chance)
But I don't think either of them will dominate like Federer did.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reasons? As much as I hate Djokovic, he has already won 1 GS and he's reached the SF in a couple of others.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Any reasons? As much as I hate Djokovic, he has already won 1 GS and he's reached the SF in a couple of others.
Djokovic is possible but doubtful. Nadal, not a chance. His only chances are clay and grass and he would have to pull a Borg-type deal for 4-5 years to make it to 12.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Who knows? Probably not. I mean when Fed won his first GS in 2003, did anybody seriously think atm that he was going to take 11 more? Will they stay healthy and injury free? Will they be hungry enough? Nobody can predict this right now.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Djokovic is possible but doubtful. Nadal, not a chance. His only chances are clay and grass and he would have to pull a Borg-type deal for 4-5 years to make it to 12.

Nadal has no chance given his style of play. i will be just happy to see him with 7 French Opens and 1 Wimby along the way.

Djokovic can start winning at least 2 a year--Australian Open and the U.S. Open--for the next 4-6 years.

that puts him at a possible 12-13. i think he will do it if he stays healthy and stays driven. he is just that good. at only 20, you just know he is going to continue to improve.

one nice thing in his favor is incredible movement and economies of scale with respect to his overall game. he can play the game pretty damn efficiently.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
shouldnt u be comparing all 3 of them to sampras' record?

i think nole can reach 12 , nadal cant probably

·
Registered
3,044 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
they'd already won 4 together :p , combined = no doubt
Oh? Why are you so certain that they'll win another nine combined? I don't see Nadal being able to keep up his super physical style of play for a long period of time.

As for Djokovic, it still amazes me how quickly people jump to the conclusion that he's going to win multiple slams for the next few years, just on the basis of his result in Australia. I mean, people had high hopes for Roddick after he won the U.S. Open in '03 and even Ferrero the same year, but look how many slams they've added to their totals since then. Heck, even take Hewitt. He looked pretty dominant in '01 and '02, and look at him now.

I could see Nadal winning another four majors, tops. Maybe Djokovic could win five in his career. That would put their combined total at 13. But I seriously doubt that Federer will never win another slam again. So Nadal and Djokovic are going to have to win more than nine more to overtake him.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shouldnt u be comparing all 3 of them to sampras' record?

i think nole can reach 12 , nadal cant probably
I could of done, but I wanted this thread to be about nole/nadal.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Just because Djokovic and Nadal have beaten Federer, does not mean that they will become the next Federer. Both will be remembered as great players, but I doubt they will be referred to as Legends of the Game. Only one person in the Open Era has won 12 slams other than Federer. How anyone expects Nadal or Djokovic to equal, or God forbid beat, that record is beyond me.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just because Djokovic and Nadal have beaten Federer, does not mean that they will become the next Federer. Both will be remembered as great players, but I doubt they will be referred to as Legends of the Game. Only one person in the Open Era has won 12 slams other than Federer. How anyone expects Nadal or Djokovic to equal, or God forbid beat, that record is beyond me.
Although I think they will never be as good or as dominant as Federer, Djokovic has reached a couple of SF's and already won a GS on a hard court, he's 20 - big potential. 4 us + aussie GS's = 8 for him, that's close.
I think Nadal will only get French Open and maybe 2 or 3 Wimbys when Fed's done.
But you have to remember when Fed was 20 he was nowhere near where Djokovic is now..

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Djokovic will win 3 straight golden slams, thus tying Fed's record by 2011, and he will only be 23-24, putting him in good shape to be the GOAT. It doesn't matter that the Olympics are not held every year, he is so good that they will give him gold medals just for being so amazing.

Obviously since Federer is completely finished he will no longer even be in the 2nd week of slams, and since it is so easy and effortless to completely dominate the tennis world Djokovic will take his place.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
i cant even see nadal in another wimbledon final , let alone him winning one

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
You don't expect it, but you can theorize on it. At the moment, if Federer were to retire today and it were all up to Novak and Nadal, those two would most likely pick up all the slams for the next two or three years: Novak in the US and Australia, Nadal in Paris, and the two would fight it out in Wimbledon. Nobody of their generation is at the level to be fighting for slams - not Gasquet, Murray, Berdych, or anyone else. Now, even if Federer does continue to play for the next few years, I still think these two (Novak and Nadal) will be picking up the majority if not all of the slams.

And why "God forbid"? Records are made to be broken. Roger is trying to break Pete's, just as Pete was previously trying to break Borg's, etc.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Although I think they will never be as good or as dominant as Federer, Djokovic has reached a couple of SF's and already won a GS on a hard court, he's 20 - big potential. 4 us + aussie GS's = 8 for him, that's close.
I think Nadal will only get French Open and maybe 2 or 3 Wimbys when Fed's done.
But you have to remember when Fed was 20 he was nowhere near where Djokovic is now..
But a lot of the time the players who have early success in their careers don't have as much longevity.

Also, after Federer's done winning Wimbledon, I think Nadal will be lucky to sneak one title in. Surely there will be other players to challenge Nadal after Federer.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Djokovic will win 3 straight golden slams, thus tying Fed's record by 2011, and he will only be 23-24, putting him in good shape to be the GOAT. It doesn't matter that the Olympics are not held every year, he is so good that they will give him gold medals just for being so amazing.

Obviously since Federer is completely finished he will no longer even be in the 2nd week of slams, and since it is so easy and effortless to completely dominate the tennis world Djokovic will take his place.
See, the funny thing is I can see Djokovic winning a career or even calendar grand slam (golden slam? :p), unlike Federer, Roddick, Murray, or any other people you have in your signature.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts