Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Martina won her last major titles at 33 (2x) and 36 (last one) to finish at 18 majors in total.

But she lost SEVEN GS FINALS during these last years of her career.

Her finals record was 3-7 OR 1-5, depends on which year you include/exclude.

I see a likely possibility that Djokovic might remain good enough for most of the field but loses regularly in finals or semi-finals to the younger player's named Thiem, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Khachanov, Zverev, Rublev and so on. The funny thing is if he remains the most consistent one over a season that he vultures more weeks at number one and year end number one's.

So basically veteran Djokovic would be hand over to the next guy who peaks at a tournament while Djokovic can not deliver his best anymore and collects runner-up trophies. In the end he finishes at 18 major titles in total and 332 weeks at number one. Just like Martina Navratilova. Her 2.0 of this era.

What do you think ?

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:sick: I think Novak needs better fans, if you want to know what I think.
Why am I not good enough as a fan ? It is a possibility that I see and a nice comparison to one of the greatest players of all time. She played until she was 40 actively. But won just 3 after 35 / 36. That shows how tough it is.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
What Novak needs are fans who believe in him. Novak plays to win and he has given us no indication that he will do any of what you wrote. Can you imagine him playing a tournament and having his own fans think he'll be someone's pigeon and lose even though there is no reason to think that? I mean...

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Novak needs are fans who believe in him. Novak plays to win and he has given us no indication that he will do any of what you wrote. Can you imagine him playing a tournament and having his own fans think he'll be someone's pigeon and lose even though there is no reason to think that? I mean...
I do believe in him and his capabilities.
I just try to look at it from different angles, perspectives and check all possible outcomes. That's how much he and the sport in general with its history fascinates me.

The title with "puppy" is just a catchphrase/word to draw attention. That has nothing to do with discrediting Djokovic. It is internet trash talk entertainment / dialect. I hope you understand it now a bit better that I am not a bad guy but a true fan. I invite every mind into discussions and do not pre-bias them always but offer different views on it, not to essentially embody one of them myself.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I never said you're not a Novak fan :) I also think there's no reason to think any of what you wrote will happen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's an incredible possibility Novak will win US Open, AO 2021 and Wimbledon 2021 taking his total majors to 20 in the foreseeable future. Also, many people thought Novak was finished and would be stuck on 12 slams after he fell over post RG 2016. Nek minnut he's back and on 17 slams. I think nek minnut he'll be on 21.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never said you're not a Novak fan :) I also think there's no reason to think any of what you wrote will happen.
The only thing I want is of course that he wins and finish them all in a dominating fashion and remain superior over them because that's what he is in my opinion when he does what he is known for, his highest quality tennis. Best Elo/IQ.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The only thing I want is of course that he wins and finish them all in a dominating fashion and remain superior over them because that's what he is in my opinion when he does what he is known for, his highest quality tennis. Best Elo/IQ.
But yet you'd still rather discuss him only winning one more slam and losing to many players? ;)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
It would be a shame if he finished with less Slams than Fedal - he's a superior player overall

·
Your visions will happen
48,517 Posts
I do agree with the notion that Djokovic has a better chance of the weeks at #1 record than the slam record

·
justice for all
15,114 Posts
:sick: I think Novak needs better fans, if you want to know what I think.
No, That’s not true at all. VyRa is OK as a fan - he’s just a sincere guy who supports and loves his idol but has his doubts and is brave enough to voice them. That’s human.
You on the other hand remind me of Chico/Floki a lot: a huge victimhood complex, going after other Djokovic fans for not being faithful enough while initially pretending to be a fan of another player. That’s fishy.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I like VyRa, actually. I find him interesting. I just think he should show a little more belief in Novak. Because he's going to break the records soon and people like you will cry when it happens.

·
justice for all
15,114 Posts
If it happens I won’t cry - I’m not obsessed with tennis records at all. I’m a simple guy who just wants his guy to win a slam or two.
But will you cry very load when he doesn’t?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I don't know if I would cry, but I would feel very sad. Simply because the numbers should reflect that he's the best ever. It would be a shame if they didn't. I am confident that they will, though. The weeks record is almost a guarantee, especially with a win at the USO. Then the slam record would be really close.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
No, That’s not true at all. VyRa is OK as a fan - he’s just a sincere guy who supports and loves his idol but has his doubts and is brave enough to voice them. That’s human.
You on the other hand remind me of Chico/Floki a lot: a huge victimhood complex, going after other Djokovic fans for not being faithful enough while initially pretending to be a fan of another player. That’s fishy.
VyRa is a rational fan whereas bhdtl is delusional

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I like VyRa, actually. I find him interesting. I just think he should show a little more belief in Novak. Because he's going to break the records soon and people like you will cry when it happens.
I won’t be happy if he breaks the records but at the end of the day, it won’t affect the way my life goes so it’s not a huge deal if it happens.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I'm not. i just have confidence in Novak, as I believe every fan should. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He also hasn't given me any reason to doubt him.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Martina won her last major titles at 33 (2x) and 36 (last one) to finish at 18 majors in total.

But she lost SEVEN GS FINALS during these last years of her career.

Her finals record was 3-7 OR 1-5, depends on which year you include/exclude.

I see a likely possibility that Djokovic might remain good enough for most of the field but loses regularly in finals or semi-finals to the younger player's named Thiem, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Khachanov, Zverev, Rublev and so on.

It is already certainly risky to compare different eras, the male and female circuit, but it is even more so to project even contemporary careers.

When at the same age, Wilander won his 7th and last slam at 24 in 1988, Lend did not win his first.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts