Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the absence of big names, the path to the final is likely to be easier than ever for Novak. But his opponent in the final will also have an easier route. This will diminish the advantage generally afforded by being the #1 seed.

So the chances are higher than ever that Djokovic will surpass Lendl and Murray in becoming a losing finalist at the same major for the 6th time.*

(*Under the big assumption that the US Open actually takes place.)

·
Registered
822 Posts
We don't wish him but Thiem can also join Lendl (RG 81, US 82-83, AO 83) and Murray (US 08, AO 10-11, Wimb 12) by losing his first 4 slam finals.

That said, I do not consider the number of finals lost as degrading, it is also a sign of good consistency ... but of course, it is better to win a few anyway

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Well he's won 5 GS Finals in a row so maybe he's due for a loss...? Maybe not....

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Chance of winning US Open title:
90% - Djokovic
10% - Another player. Even 10% is an exaggeration.

Well he's won 5 GS Finals in a row so maybe he's due for a loss...? Maybe not....
He's won 5 of the last 7 grand slams played, with Rafa, Federer, and Wawrinka on the field for those slams. That will put things into perspective, as we speak.

·
justice for all
15,238 Posts
Chance of winning US Open title:
90% - Djokovic
10% - Another player. Even 10% is an exaggeration.

He's won 5 of the last 7 grand slams played, with Rafa, Federer, and Wawrinka on the field for those slams. That will put things into perspective, as we speak.
Nah... even Rafa in his best years didn’t have that high odds to win RG.

·
Banned
930 Posts
With the absence of big names, the path to the final is likely to be easier than ever for Novak. But his opponent in the final will also have an easier route. This will diminish the advantage generally afforded by being the #1 seed.

So the chances are higher than ever that Djokovic will surpass Lendl and Murray in becoming a losing finalist at the same major for the 6th time.*

(*Under the big assumption that the US Open actually takes place.)
I already love your threat. Good one !

Federer and Lendl are at the moment tied at 20-11 and 8-11. Djokovic at 17-9. Will become double digit at some point and maybe pass both to hold the overall record 12+ of lost major finals.

I think it is highly possible that this happens with the 6th loss in the USO final. He would be still in the Top 7 of the best players in the US Open.

·
Banned
930 Posts
I haven’t prayed since I was a child but I might try - for the greater good.
And that is what ? A next-gen win ?
You should have prayed for Thiem in Melbourne or Medvedev in New York. I did pray for the greater good.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Would be nice but I'd rather he loses in round 1.
Just imagine Thiem beating him in the final , would be worth the risk?

At this point is the only final and match up for me that would save the tournament and make it competitive and interesting

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Nah... even Rafa in his best years didn’t have that high odds to win RG.
He does not need high odds, but only better odds to win it all, even if you don't like my odds.

On the other hand, you can't even tell which of the other 127 clowns will make it to the final from the other side of the draw. I would not put my money on any one of them.

·
justice for all
15,238 Posts
Just imagine Thiem beating him in the final , would be worth the risk?

At this point is the only final and match up for me that would save the tournament and make it competitive and interesting
Yeah, would be a sweet revenge for Melbourne. On the other hand Dominic would be an underdog in such a final and I’m not sure I would like to suffer another loss to the Serb.

·
justice for all
15,238 Posts
And that is what ? A next-gen win ?
You should have prayed for Thiem in Melbourne or Medvedev in New York. I did pray for the greater good.
I just don’t believe it works. Seriously now - I’m agnostic.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Yeah, would be a sweet revenge for Melbourne. On the other hand Dominic would be an underdog in such a final and I’m not sure I would like to suffer another loss to the Serb.
Did you root for Thiem or for Tsitsipas in O2 ? Thiem should have won, tougher draw / bigger effort in my opinion. But he did not. His only big title so far was Indian Wells. Zverev vultured three week-era masters 1000. A bit frustrating with Dominic so far.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Banned
930 Posts
If Novak doesn't win I definitely would like to see Thiem take his maiden Slam - his time is here
Exactly. Djokovic then Thiem. But we might see both failing. Sad times then.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts